*Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC
Jan 17, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #197 of 452
What sample rates and bit depths does Modi support?
16/44 to 24/96, including 24/88.2.

That's the same as the ODAC.

How can you do this when other guys are trying to sell plastic USB key DACs for 2.5x the price?
Because we aren’t greedy, and our packaging is ugly.

Ouch...(I'm guessing this is referring to the AudioQuest Dragonfly)

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #198 of 452
It's a light jab at them, but I think the dragonfly is pretty nice considering how small it is. Making it that tiny is probably not simple engineering. Plus, they were first to do it so they have every right to jack up costs until someone else does it better, and cheaper.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #199 of 452
Quote:
It's a light jab at them, but I think the dragonfly is pretty nice considering how small it is. Making it that tiny is probably not simple engineering. Plus, they were first to do it so they have every right to jack up costs until someone else does it better, and cheaper.

stoner acoustics UD100, but thats DAC only, not amp as well

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #201 of 452
Yup it doesnt support 88.2...

While the ODAC doesn’t support 24/88, it does support the audibly identical 24/44. It’s trivial to re-sample 24/88 audio to 24/44 with no artifacts as it’s a simple divide-by-two operation (and one the operating system will perform for you automatically). I know many audiophiles probably think they’re losing something, but nobody has proven they are.

Alex

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #202 of 452
Quote:
Quote:
What sample rates and bit depths does Modi support?

16/44 to 24/96, including 24/88.2.

That's the same as the ODAC.

Except the ODAC doesn't support 88.2.

Yeah my bad, I was thinking 24/88, which the O2 still doesn't support but 24/44 sounds nearly identical, unless you truly have "golden ears".

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #204 of 452
Quote:
Quote:
Yup it doesnt support 88.2...

I'm detecting some sarcasm there.
wink.gif
Not trying to step on any toes, just a statement of fact. It's academic anyways, there isn't much 88.2 material out there.

I'm happy with 16/44 because I can't tell the difference between that and other sample rates. Downsampling so-called "HD" 24/96 music sounds the same to me.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #205 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Next I expect you to say that the O2 sounds the same as 1000 dollar amps in blind a/b comparisons.

Added distortion in the mythical "1000 dollar amp[]" aside, that exactly right. If the O2 is transparent, adding $850 of parts and profit won't yield better sound because it can't.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #206 of 452
Added distortion in the mythical "1000 dollar amp[]" aside, that exactly right. If the O2 is transparent, adding $850 of parts and profit won't yield better sound because it can't.

Well, it could add "better sound" because perfectly flat, transparent sound is not necessarily what everyone really likes. If it was all about perfect transparency, tube amps would not be popular :wink:

But you are right. If it's already transparent, you can't make it more transparent with additional parts :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #207 of 452
US Audio....

You are so correct....it was meant as slightly "funny" response....lol....in good humor...

I have some SACD stuff but bought it to see for myself how much better etc this stuff is compared to good ole 2 ch 44.1/16 bits etc..

Needless to say, but I will say it anyway! 

"Except for the sounstage...not really any better to me"....just different depending how the SACD was recorded and mastered etc...

Alex

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #208 of 452
Quote:

This is all assuming that the measurements provided for the amps are actually meaningful to music reproduction.  In this case, the measurements give us a shallow look to see if there's anything glaringly wrong with the amps, but they can't give you actual performance characteristics when fed complex music-- unless of course, your hobby is to sit at your desk and listen to two-tone sinewaves all day.  No discriminating here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back