Comparing my HD650 to my PX100?
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sometimes just don't get this crusade you're on. It's one thing to enjoy the ease of use of cheap headphones out of a DAP. However, I don't get constantly laughing at people who want a really HiFi sound. It takes a lot of power to get really great sound. More than can be output from a DAP. When headphone companies make headphones that can be sufficiently powered straight from a DAP they are well aware of the fact that they are making sacrifices.

Easy there, I was just poking fun at the OP's dilemma. There's nothing wrong with wanting good sound. I do find it amazing, however, that it can take this much equipment just to break even with really cheap equipment. It reminds me of when another poster was looking for ways to make him prefer his RS-1 to his SR60. The thing is, you, I, and everyone reading this agrees that at some point, it's not worth spending much more in dollars just to break even in enjoyment. We only disagree over where that point is.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find PX100s from a portable have horribly bloated bass, which while relatively deep spikes more in the midbass section and overall lack high treble. I'd listen to my HD600s through a portable any day, as I find them universally better.

There is no possible way that I can agree more with a person on these forums than I agree with you right now.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy there, I was just poking fun at the OP's dilemma. There's nothing wrong with wanting good sound. I do find it amazing, however, that it can take this much equipment just to break even with really cheap equipment. It reminds me of when another poster was looking for ways to make him prefer his RS-1 to his SR60. The thing is, you, I, and everyone reading this agrees that at some point, it's not worth spending much more in dollars just to break even in enjoyment. We only disagree over where that point is.

That is a rather ignorant assumption you're making.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find PX100s from a portable have horribly bloated bass, which while relatively deep spikes more in the midbass section and overall lack high treble. I'd listen to my HD600s through a portable any day, as I find them universally better.

The OP has HD650.

I find the PX100 to have too much mid bass hump for my taste, too.

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Didn't the OP say he preferred the bass on the PX100?

Apr 11, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #22 of 30
The HD650 is the poster-child for audible improvements in amplification. All the way up to balanced amps, you can hear the improvements in sound quality as you switch out amps, especially in the bass. The best balanced amps really control the movement of the diaphragm well, leading a big improvement in SQ.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #24 of 30
Unproperly amped the HD650 may have less impact, but I'm willing to bet they still sound a lot more real and natural than the PX100. The PX100 are probably sound better for hip-hop because of the mid-bass hump which would increase the illusion of bass impact. However I'd still reach for my K601s that are improperly amped over my dad's PX100s anyday.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is weird that someone who spends half their life on these forums has such contempt for people who buy hi-fi equipment.
It seems that you might be willfully ignorant about how hi-fi equipment works. Most people will prefer low end cans with a low end source the same way they'd prefer a low res tv with vhs. Watching vhs on a 50" 1080p hdtv is not enjoyable - it just looks terrible. This is the same situation. Once you get a blu-ray player and hdtv you're not breaking even with vhs and a low res screen, you're stepping to another level completely.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watching vhs on a 50" 1080p hdtv is not enjoyable - it just looks terrible. This is the same situation. Once you get a blu-ray player and hdtv you're not breaking even with vhs and a low res screen, you're stepping to another level completely.

couldn't agree more,yet having both head-fi and blu ray fever at the same time proved to be painfully costly. Me for example.

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #27 of 30
Bottom heavy is really the HD650's signature,if not too heavy. And if you're still thinking HD650's bottom is not sexy enough, it is either your amp is really not good, or problem with your taste/hearing. It'd better be the first
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is weird that someone who spends half their life on these forums has such contempt for people who buy hi-fi equipment.
It seems that you might be willfully ignorant about how hi-fi equipment works. Most people will prefer low end cans with a low end source the same way they'd prefer a low res tv with vhs. Watching vhs on a 50" 1080p hdtv is not enjoyable - it just looks terrible. This is the same situation. Once you get a blu-ray player and hdtv you're not breaking even with vhs and a low res screen, you're stepping to another level completely.

Remember guys, you're talking to the person who kept recommending the K701 on the basis of running it straight from his MacBook, and refused to do anything about the source or amp (or lack thereof). The majority of his posts henceforth have been pre-emptive self-defense or flat-out ignorant remarks that are influenced by all the flak he caught from that K701 incident, and he's determined to become a martyr for his own cause of saving face, even though he has sold the K701 long ago in favor of the AD700 for reasons that we all know too well because of his recent persistant comments of how people don't need to spend all their money on stronger equipment, solely based on his severly flawed and extremely short-sighted audio experience.

And yes, that last sentence was a hell of a run-on.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #29 of 30
Does anybody have any specific experience with HD650 + Corda Aria? I feel like the music has the detail, but maybe it is missing that extra little bit of "oomph" to really make the headphones sing...

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sometimes just don't get this crusade you're on. It's one thing to enjoy the ease of use of cheap headphones out of a DAP. However, I don't get constantly laughing at people who want a really HiFi sound. It takes a lot of power to get really great sound. More than can be output from a DAP. When headphone companies make headphones that can be sufficiently powered straight from a DAP they are well aware of the fact that they are making sacrifices.

I just don't get why you think its so hilarious that a 300 ohm headphone that is specifically designed to be used with a high powered headphone amp needs a high powered headphone amp? This is the flagship headphone (hd800 still hasn't shipped) of the perhaps the biggest name headphone company in the world. the guy isn't saying he needs new cables or anything. He said he thinks his amp needs more power. He also didn't say he liked the PX100's better, he said he wasn't getting the bass impact he thought he should.

I have a great little set of audigy desktop speakers, and I have a full blown JBL rig with 4 15" woofers and two dedicated top end cabs. Would you make fun of me for saying I need a $1000 amp to make them even come close to the audigys?

Ignore him if it bothers you. If memory serves me right, he's the mofo trashing K701 while using them straight from his DAP. Idiotic IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back