compare Beyer DT990 '05 w/ Denon D2000
Aug 5, 2007 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
can anyone shed any light on some comparison between these 2 great cans? I currently just own dt990s, but have been very interested in the d2000s for awhile. how similar or different sounding of a can would i be getting myself into? looking perhaps for a second set of cans i could recable to balanced for listening on my b22
smily_headphones1.gif
. suggestions?

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 16
I've heard the D2000/5000 called closed HD 600/650s. If the case, then the D2000 is probably a good deal less bright than the DT 990. I have the 880, and listened to the HD 600, so by using some assumptions here, I would guess:

Brightness - DT 990 > DT 880 > D2000 > HD 600 > HD 650

Bass - HD 650 > D2000 > HD 600 > DT 990 > DT 880

Of course, the D2000 may have less bass than the 600 or 990, not sure. From what I've heard, it should make a nice closed compliment to the 990. Less bright, more mids.

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 16
I thought people here say the D2000 bass is more than all those cans? More than the 650 specifically to what your saying.

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 16
Hey matto,

Im the guy who you have been helping in private messages
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought dennon 2k and hd 600 and i am sitting here now with them in front of me. I have a little over 100 hours on the dennons and the hd 600 is burnt in. when i hear the dennons theres a WOW!! factor the mids and highs are amazingly good these cans really excell int their mids and highs and still have bass too. they are really fun cans.

i find myself messaging you about the beyers while the dennon 2k cans are great i realize that i just love the beyer sound and i prolly fall into the bass head category. I dont love the bass on these cans like i did the beyers.its good but i miss my beyers i wish i could compare them side to side to bad i sold them.I don't wanna sell the dennons but i might,gonna try and burn them in more first i guess,still though the dennons are very impressive.

I would say if the dt990 have bass like the dt770 and the mids and highs are very good you probably have the better of the two. I am just a sound noob but let me know if i can try an answer any questions for you.

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 16
I had both of them. Denons stay with me because they sound better with metal.
The biggest difference is in midrange - Denons are more neutral here, 990 were more recessed. Also Denons are somewhat faster, with better PRaT and attack, which makes them better for metal/prog rock.

Both are bassy cans, I wouldn't be able to pick which one is better or worse.

Both are very comfortable cans, Beyers are build sturdier, are a bit heavier and clamp ears a little tighter. That's could be a positive for some people, I like lighter clamp and very soft feel of Denons pleather pads.

I didn't have sibilance experience with 990's as is often reported/complained about here even though DAC1 could be considered "bright" source. Analog Opera did very good job there (Meyer-Beyer team).
icon10.gif

Mind you, 990 were 250 ohmers, didn't have the chance to listen to 600 ohm - apparently they are better SQ wise, providing they are amped with enough juice.

I know, decision is still yours, to my ears and kind of music I listen to, Denons won me over.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 16
Same story here!
I had DT 990 05’ 600 ohm and D2000 and I sold the Beyer’s!
To my ears D2000 have more balanced and refined sound overall. Plus things like comfort, looks, feel and material they used - made D2000 the winner to me!

And I can tell you, Denons with B22 just unbeatable!

That’s actually I am in to! But I pulled the trigger to build the B22 as a full size speakers amp. as well, plus with a goal to make it as small as possible, so it can be awhile before I enjoy it.

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 16
imo, the beyer 990 is better. bass, details, comfort.. and they scale well with amplification too. but you cant go wrong with either one. its just the matter of preference

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 16
With the D2000's impedance being only 25 ohms, would amping them not really have a significant increase in performance?

Eventually I'll probably end up getting an amp, but would the D2000's not really improve much vs the DT990 with say a LittleDot MKIII or gilmore lite?

I'm trying to decide between these two for screamo/hardcore/acoustic. I want something I could really rockout to with strong bass, crystal clear vocals w/o getting shrill, and good mids so i can hear those solos and guitar strings plucked.

How do the highs, details, and soundstage compare between the two?

I've read that Denons made female vocals sound more dull, most of the stuff I listen to have feminine voices so that would be important for me. Could anyone confirm or refute this, especially compared to DT990's and maybe even HD595/HD600?

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 16
The DT990s have a notice treble spike/emphasis compared to the D2000, which you may or may not appreciate. Detail seemed very similar between the D2000 and the DT990 and I couldn't figure out a clear winner (though you may perceive greater detail with the DT990 due to the treble emphasis). The soundstage of the DT990s is excellent (large and airy). Unfortunately, the D2000 soundstage is much more compressed.

I've posted more impressions in this thread.

Aug 6, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 16
Man the more i listen to these dennons the more impressed i get the bass is getting better wow!!

Man these dennon 2000 have fantastic sound, I feel right in the center of the music,imersed and if could try to describe it as crystal clear sound that attacks you but nothing is overdone everything seems to be done perfect these are so wow baby yeah!! Oh behave... The bass continues to improve on these from my original first thoughts. the bass is more refined balanced,clean,tight than my old beyers which is good for most people. I guess i really like the boomy bass from beyers i think each of these cans offers something different.even though i normally prefer the boomy bass for my own tastes but these ....dennons ...they...they keep pulling me back in im helpless aahhhh they sound so good right now
smily_headphones1.gif
I might not sell these after all can you tell im listening to these right now tapping my feet getting some nice low end boom. anyway...

P.s these have to be one of if not the best closed cans under 500.00 wonder what darthbeyers sound like?

I wanna try dt990,darthbeyers,akg701,hd650,sr225 Is there a head-fi anonymous i think i need clinical help
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 16
I think azure is spot on with his comparison. the bass doesn't over power anything. It really is amazing listening to electronic through these.each sound brought out crystal clear upfront with out being overemphasized or distorted so clean and clear without bein recessed or to upfront just perfect i honestly can say theres nothing to change treble wise for me they are perfect.bass wise is very good too still burning them in and bass getting better.I can tell bass is gonna improve alot it already has im getting some good bass now.

Aug 6, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 16
Azure;3170171 said:
Detail seemed very similar between the D2000 and the DT990 and I couldn't figure out a clear winner (though you may perceive greater detail with the DT990 due to the treble emphasis). The soundstage of the DT990s is excellent (large and airy). Unfortunately, the D2000 soundstage is much more compressed.

If thats the case the dt990s must be amazing. I agree the soundstage is not so wide as other phones but in these dennons it surely doesnt sound as bad or noticeable as many other phones nevertheless you are right. as a sound noob all i notice is how good it sounds and dont find myself worried about the soundstage like i do with other phones. the dennons are fun cans. Im so undecided right now about whats best for me because these dennons are great and have good bass that doesnt drown out the rest of the music but compliments it which sounds really good,and on the other hand if i could get this treble and beyer bass yeehhaaww. Im gonna buy the beyers too damn head-fi does anyone have any head-fi cream ive caught the head-fi bug!!

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 16
Azure;3170171 said:
Detail seemed very similar between the D2000 and the DT990 and I couldn't figure out a clear winner (though you may perceive greater detail with the DT990 due to the treble emphasis). The soundstage of the DT990s is excellent (large and airy). Unfortunately, the D2000 soundstage is much more compressed.

If thats the case the dt990s must be amazing. I agree the soundstage is not so wide as other phones but in these dennons it surely doesnt sound as bad or noticeable as many other phones nevertheless you are right. as a sound noob all i notice is how good it sounds and dont find myself worried about the soundstage like i do with other phones. the dennons are fun cans. Im so undecided right now about whats best for me because these dennons are great and have good bass that doesnt drown out the rest of the music but compliments it which sounds really good,and on the other hand if i could get this treble and beyer bass yeehhaaww. Im gonna buy the beyers too damn head-fi does anyone have any head-fi cream ive caught the head-fi bug!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back