Comparable to Pink Floyd?
Feb 14, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by ArChaos
Try Anathema's late albums :
Eternity
Judgement

Although basically Goth-Metal in their last albums, the Floydian influence is strongly felt...

Yes, get yourself some ANATHEMA.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #33 of 47
thanks all, kazaa is loaded and aimed
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #34 of 47
The french label "Ultimae" is releasing sublime stuff. anyone who listens to the artist "Blue Moon Station", album "Solar Fields" straight through will love it. especially with headphones....

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Try David Gilmour's self-titled 1st solo, I think you will find a lot of familiar sounds there.
wink.gif

Excellent.....Excellent Album!!! I have the LP, and the CD.
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #38 of 47
Holy 6 1/2 year thread resurrection!
wink_face.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #40 of 47
My vote goes to Porcupine Tree...try Voyage 34...it's a trippy listen then give a peak into the the backlog like Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet, In Absentia, The Incident, Metanoia, On the Sunday Of Life, Lightbulb Sun, Recordings, Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways, Stupid Dream and you gotta hear Up The Downstairs...if your curious enough and enjoy it branch out into the various Steve Wilson catalog such as Blackfield, solo effort "insurgentes", No-Man, and the remixed by SWilson King Crimson.

I think you should give some vintage Genesis a try too...The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Selling England By The Pound, and Foxtrot.

Good Luck....Oh and another favorite of mine....RUSH...a new album is coming out...they've been at it for close to 40 years now...but check out the classic 2112 or Hemispheres.

enjoy.

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #42 of 47
x2 on Porcupine Tree, excellent stuff.

Also check out "How to Measure a Planet" by the Dutch band "The Gathering".
Very Floyd influenced music and a brilliant female lead singer.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #43 of 47
There will never be another band like Pink Floyd. it just shows everybody how far really ahead of their time they were. Conceptual and magnificant recordings with a super band. The band I miss that was very creative is Supwetramp. They recorded jazzy rock.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #44 of 47
Porcupine Tree.

The 'floyd' of the 90s.

Amazing band , their leader/singer/guitar player/songwriter/producer Steven Wilson is a ****in genius.

Funny thing is , they made their best albums in the 90s when they were hardly known and they finally began to get some (much deserved) recognition in the 00s when their sound turned almost prog metal and the albums weren't nearly as good as the 90s batch

Having listened to them for more than 15 years, i say this may be the band you're looking for

i will do a mini-review of their 90s stuff (i may be a newbie in phones ,but music is another matter
wink_face.gif
)

if you like the more psychedelic feel of floyd you should definitely grab these 3 , which may be their best work (in my mind at least they are)

THE SKY MOVES SIDEWAYS (1995)  : Probably their work so far , a lost classic of the 90s .Essential crap.

UP THE DOWNSTAIRS (1993) : More 'dreamy' than sky , but (almost) equally good. Like wish you were here with less melancholy.

SIGNIFY (1996) : Less psychedelic and more prog , this closes their best 3-album span.

I would also recommend their next 2 albums , which enter more into Beatles song-oriented albums

STUPID DREAM (1998) : More melodic than psychedelic , this is imo thier last truly great album.

LUGHTBULB SUN (2000) : Their last Phase-1 album , good to very good but not great . You will probably get it after done with the previous 4 i have mentioned.

These 2 are also very very good , 1 live album best-of from their 93-96 catalogue and one EP which is as close to run like hell without being run like hell

COMA DIVINE (1997) : Live album from their signify tour , apart from being an excllent live album this is like a best-of collection from their 1991-96 period , which imo is their best,most fertile and most accomplished in the album/songwriting department

VOYAGE 34 : A 64-minute (!) EP about the adventures of Brian , which has a bummer in his 34th LSD trip.

When people say Radiohead are UK's best 90s band , i laugh like a madman...If there was music justice Radiohead would open for porcupine tree every single night....

Invest in them and rpepare for a mental rollercoaster filled with melody and emotion.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #45 of 47
Another album worth trying is "200 Tons of Bad Luck" by Crippled Black Phoenix - there seems to be a lot of Floyd influences in this album

Users who are viewing this thread

Back