Comments on iPod v.4
Jul 23, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 52
Tim, lol, you are a twisted puppy, and are probably in good company here.
Besides, I carry the ipod in my pants pocket (don't go there).

Morphling, I already have a 60 gig player made by apple. It has a color display, can rip music, and has a wonderful set of controls. Of course the batteries only last 4 hours, and it won't fit in any pocket, unless you are a kangaroo.
tongue.gif

gerG

Jul 23, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
Am I the only one picturing gerG tracing concentric circles on his breast pocket.

lol sicko

Jul 23, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
also, iTunes could be better. I mainly use it by just dragging directories from Explorer to iTunes and it loads them. That's good, but removing items is not as easy. You can tell it to select everything from one album or artist to delete. You have to manually select all those tracks and then delete them. there should be an option on right-click to remove all from that artist or album.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but you can this easier by making the iTunes only updating checked songs. Then you go to an genre/artist/album and hit control+click on one of the check boxes to check/uncheck all boxes in the main window.

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #20 of 52
Austin, I saw the pics of the IHP you have with the plastic piece over the navigation nubbin...looks pretty dumb
blink.gif
I've got something better for you man..just pM me with your home addy and I'll send you a few. I've had my mod on for a couple months now, and it shows no sign of wear or coming off. It works great. A whole pack of them is less than 2 bucks for like 36 of em...Small, felt topped buttons if you're curious.

felt_4.jpg

felt1.jpg

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

also, iTunes could be better. I mainly use it by just dragging directories from Explorer to iTunes and it loads them. That's good, but removing items is not as easy. You can't tell it to select everything from one album or artist to delete. You have to manually select all those tracks and then delete them. there should be an option on right-click to remove all from that artist or album.

You don't have to manually select all of the songs in an album to delete an album. All you have to do is click the album/artist name and press the delete button on your keyboard.

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

uhhhhh you realize that iPod _DOES NOT_ play windows media files, right? ipod supports MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC, Audible, Apple Lossless

Thought I'd point out here, the Windows iTunes has automatic WMA (uncrippled/unprotected) conversion to AAC for the iPod. See here. At least it's fee and part of the 'package'. Course lossy to lossy transcoding is never ideal. Then again WMA even before transcoding is rarely ideal.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #23 of 52
I have a slightly lazier technique for organizing music. I just throw the folders into a top level music folder, then tell itunes to import it. It only imports the new stuff. It uses the folder structure that I defined (maybe I got lucky). Thanks to that, I have been able to keep 2 laptops and a desktop machine synchronized (using filesync) cross platform no less. I had to turn off one of the pesky automatic features in itunes to keep it from stashing the music somewhere other than where I put it.

gerG

Jul 24, 2004 at 3:18 AM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

something odd - if you pull out your headphones, the iPod pauses, every time.

A/B with the iHP-140 with the latest BBoys album, they sound virtually identical.

i'm so glad to hear you say that.

with my iriver, i (if memory serves) could not tell a difference between the sound i got out of my old 2g ipod. i thought my ears were crapping out on me, considering i've seen people slate the SQ of the iriver compared to the ipod

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

3) I don't remember, so it must have been good, eh? lol

amen to that... lol.

a few more questions austonia:

1) now that you got better control over ur ihp-140 and seem to like it a bit more, i wonder how you (or anyone else) compare it to the v4 (along with v2,v3) ipod... like which will you prob end up using more and why?

2) you ever feel like your neo being interrogated by a bunch of mr.smiths? (just seems like ur The one (The insider) to ask ur questions on head-fi's portable audio forum. u deserve a medal... and a shot of grey goose.)

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #26 of 52
btw austin is on vacation for like 3 days I believe

Jul 24, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphling
btw austin is on vacation for like 3 days I believe

he doesn't deserve a medal anymore... i take it back. what kinda insider is he?! going on vacations?! he should be ashamed... enjoying himself while precious info is being postponed by the minute for us...

biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 10:06 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Tim, lol, you are a twisted puppy, and are probably in good company here.
Besides, I carry the ipod in my pants pocket (don't go there).gerG

Ah, come on. When I have the iPod in my jeans I also tend to operate it through the fabric. The good thing: It is still inside the iVolution, so it makes quite a bulge and therefore does not look as if I was dialing phone numbers on my thigh.

Jul 25, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #29 of 52
With the 4G 20 gb iPod hooked to a pair of ER4P's and set to one half volume, no backlight and sitting on my desk all day, it plays for 11 hours 14 minutes. Better, but not as advertised. That's as close to ideal conditions as you can get, so in the real world I don't know how long it will last.

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #30 of 52
Austonia, the song deletion by Artist, for example, is also accomplished by selecting the 'Artist' sort column at top and then grabbing all songs by the Artist you want to delete, then deleting from the KB, as has been mentioned.

As for the 4G battery life 'improvements', w ith 320 AAC's I get almost 13 hours under the same conditions. With Apple Lossless, 7 hours. Hits the buffer so much that HD spooling up and down kills the battery life claims, big time.

Gapless on an iPod, at least in Mac OS X, is accomplished, in iTunes, by:

a) for existing digital files, enabling 'crossfade' in the Audio Prefs and then setting seconds to '0'.

b) for output to CD, in the Burning Prefs, when selecting 'Audio CD', set seconds gap between songs to 'None'.

I use both (a) and (b) on 3+4G Pods.

Apple still makes the best Windows software ever coded. Which ain't sayin' much, but you ought to be able to understand it pretty quickly in any case.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back