Comments on iPod v.4
Jul 25, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Thought I'd point out here, the Windows iTunes has automatic WMA (uncrippled/unprotected) conversion to AAC for the iPod. See here. At least it's fee and part of the 'package'. Course lossy to lossy transcoding is never ideal. Then again WMA even before transcoding is rarely ideal.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks blessingx,

I think that Austonia wanted to protect me from WMA....
biggrin.gif
I will learn about other options about saving CDs on my PC.

Still doing my homework. I saw (thanks chumley) the post about 7h of battery time for Apple lossless....ouch...another reason to rethink it's utilisation.

Amicalement

Jul 25, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by rt297
With the 4G 20 gb iPod hooked to a pair of ER4P's and set to one half volume, no backlight and sitting on my desk all day, it plays for 11 hours 14 minutes. Better, but not as advertised. That's as close to ideal conditions as you can get, so in the real world I don't know how long it will last.

What was your music encoded at?

Jul 25, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
Gapless on an iPod, at least in Mac OS X, is accomplished, in iTunes, by:

a) for existing digital files, enabling 'crossfade' in the Audio Prefs and then setting seconds to '0'.

b) for output to CD, in the Burning Prefs, when selecting 'Audio CD', set seconds gap between songs to 'None'.

I use both (a) and (b) on 3+4G Pods.

Apple still makes the best Windows software ever coded. Which ain't sayin' much, but you ought to be able to understand it pretty quickly in any case.
biggrin.gif

I've tried that, you still end up with a slight gap on the ipod. The only way I've found to eliminate gaps is to use itunes "Join Tracks" feature when ripping. This works great for dj mix albums, but it does make navigating to your favorite part a bit more difficult.
etysmile.gif

Jul 25, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #35 of 52
AuroraProject, you're absolutely right- 'Join Tracks' eliminates gaps, but introduces another issue, that of searchability/navigability. I completely forgot about this feature, as I used it once only.

My experience is that the procedure I outlined in my previous post works well, and consistently, for me. YMMV.

Austonia, I would suggest trying both methods, and see if both work for you.

If the procedure I outlined isn't universally successful in eliminating gaps, I apologize for implying it is. I suspect that 'Join Tracks' is, though.

I do know for certain that there are at least two iPod users out there for whom
'Join Tracks' works, anyway...
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Austonia, the song deletion by Artist, for example, is also accomplished by selecting the 'Artist' sort column at top and then grabbing all songs by the Artist you want to delete, then deleting from the KB, as has been mentioned.

i know, that's what i meant when i said deleting them was "manual". You have to highlight a track in album, hold down shift-key, select the rest, then hit delete. it can get tiresome to remove a large amount of content like this when there are better ways.

Quote:

Gapless on an iPod, at least in Mac OS X, is accomplished, in iTunes, by:

a) for existing digital files, enabling 'crossfade' in the Audio Prefs and then setting seconds to '0'.

this is for crossfading audio play through iTunes, not iPod... and joining all the tracks in an album is not something i want to do. Karma can play gapless without any unneccesary hassle, hopefully others (like Apple) will figure it out.

Jul 26, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
I think that Austonia wanted to protect me from WMA....
biggrin.gif
I will learn about other options about saving CDs on my PC.

Nah, it's just that transcoding from a format it doesn't support (WMA), to one it does (AAC), does not mean the iPod plays WMA. I'm sure there's a transcoder out there to cross just about any format, but you're going to lose quality, and it's not worth it for most applications.

Jul 26, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #38 of 52
Do you concur with Lindrone's assessment (posted on Ipodstudio) that the sound quality is better on 4G than 3G, and that EQ does in fact provide improved SQ?

Jul 26, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by br--
You don't have to manually select all of the songs in an album to delete an album. All you have to do is click the album/artist name and press the delete button on your keyboard.

could you please elaborate..? i cannot figure out what you mean because this isn't working for me. Open iTunes. Click on an Artist name under the Artist Column. The entire line for that track is highlighted - same as if I had clicked on the Album Name, Track Name, etc. Hit delete. That tracks deletes, nothing else.

Note that I do not manage any of my music collection on my PC through iTunes. I only use iTunes to add/remove tracks from iPod.

Jul 26, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
Nah, it's just that transcoding from a format it doesn't support (WMA), to one it does (AAC), does not mean the iPod plays WMA. I'm sure there's a transcoder out there to cross just about any format, but you're going to lose quality, and it's not worth it for most applications.

Hi austonia,

I'm crawling under my stone... Like Confucius said: The one who wants to learn how to swim dont argue with the instructor....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Jul 26, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #41 of 52
austonia said:
i know, that's what i meant when i said deleting them was "manual". You have to highlight a track in album, hold down shift-key, select the rest, then hit delete. it can get tiresome to remove a large amount of content like this when there are better ways."

In iTunes, the select-SHIFT (for contiguously listed tracks), or select-CMD (for non-contiguous tracks) isn't that bad. Sure, adedicated Search/ Replace/Delete function, built into iTunes and into the iPod, should have been done by now. But management of music from iTunes is generally done in more than one way for a given action process, so it's relative. Do others have better ways of deleting tracks? Yeah.

Same with (lack of) easy gapless and crossfading on the iPod, which needs to be part of the iPod, and not just iTunes. Joining tracks, or copies of tracks, is an absurd kludge, I'll agree. It seems to be the only thing that works consistently, however, for anyone with an iPod and the need to close the gaps...

"this is for crossfading audio play through iTunes, not iPod... and joining all the tracks in an album is not something i want to do. Karma can play gapless without any unnecessary hassle, hopefully others (like Apple) will figure it out."

Comparing L/O from a 3-4G iPod and out from a Karma's not even fair. I'll take higher output quality over gapless any day, although I still want an easy gapless/crossfade solution on the iPod, asap...
biggrin.gif

The best sound I've heard come from a portable HD based player, any player, is good digital source via the L/O from an iPod; better still with any number of good amps downstream of same to my Ety 4s' or my HD 650s... do I want/miss a few really valuable features? Yeah. Do I want to go buy something else that doesn't sound as good but HAS those features? No, because my priority's not the features, it's the sound.

I'll take those features if and when they arrive though...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #42 of 52
ok i figured out the deal with iTunes.

you have to hit that weird Eye icon in the upper right hand of the iTunes window. It has Browse named under it. Then 3 boxs appears, each with a lists of Genres, Artists, or Albums... and you can select one item from those to delete an entire Genre, Artist, or Album

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #43 of 52
Austonia, will you ever write a proper review for the Rio Karma on your site? I was really looking forward to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Austonia, will you ever write a proper review for the Rio Karma on your site? I was really looking forward to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

you allready have one, right?

Jul 27, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Thought I'd point out here, the Windows iTunes has automatic WMA (uncrippled/unprotected) conversion to AAC for the iPod. See here. At least it's fee and part of the 'package'. Course lossy to lossy transcoding is never ideal. Then again WMA even before transcoding is rarely ideal.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sorry to steal the thread, but is there a simple way to go from, say 224kbps to 192kbps mp3s? If so, is the resulting sound quality worse than if I re-rip to 192?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back