Comments on iPod v.4
Jul 27, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphling
btw austin is on vacation for like 3 days I believe

Vacation? That's one less DAP Austonia could be buying!

icon10.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Do you concur with Lindrone's assessment (posted on Ipodstudio) that the sound quality is better on 4G than 3G, and that EQ does in fact provide improved SQ?

Maybe you can help me. I see you list 4P/S and Shure E3. I just got the 4G iPod and have to decide on phones.

1) Does 4S get loud enough on iPod, and is it true 4P is "warmer" and less peaky on iPod?

2) E3 vs. Ety?

Just to add my 2 cents on the 4G EQ question. I just went through every EQ setting on my iPod playing same segment of songs. None of the setting sounds as good as "no EQ" setting to my ears. Then again, I come from neurotic audiophile background, and I'm one of those people who hear difference between MP3 and Apple Lossless even via Apple earbuds (which IMO aren't that bad IF one places them in an angle to directly face the ear canal with complete sealing...)

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
you allready have one, right?

On your site? Sorry... I don't get it...
confused.gif

Oh, you mean I already have the Karma? Yes I do, obviously. But... I was curious to read your review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Maybe you can help me. I see you list 4P/S and Shure E3. I just got the 4G iPod and have to decide on phones.

1) Does 4S get loud enough on iPod, and is it true 4P is "warmer" and less peaky on iPod?

2) E3 vs. Ety?

Just to add my 2 cents on the 4G EQ question. I just went through every EQ setting on my iPod playing same segment of songs. None of the setting sounds as good as "no EQ" setting to my ears. Then again, I come from neurotic audiophile background, and I'm one of those people who hear difference between MP3 and Apple Lossless even via Apple earbuds (which IMO aren't that bad IF one places them in an angle to directly face the ear canal with complete sealing...)

1) yes the Pod will push 4S loud enough, usually at about 90% max. the 4P just doesn't sound as crystal clear to me, so I stick with the S whenever possible.

2) No contest. ER4S for sound quality. E3 are more durable however, so I use them when riding bike, mowing, etc

...and using NO EQ is just fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
Vacation? That's one less DAP Austonia could be buying!

icon10.gif

..arg.. several actually. in denver for the week. much party.
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Sorry to steal the thread, but is there a simple way to go from, say 224kbps to 192kbps mp3s? If so, is the resulting sound quality worse than if I re-rip to 192?

i can't ever recommend transcoding, against my nature. gotta be some loss in quality there. re-rip to 192 if possible. only takes about 10 minutes for a full CD with EAC/LAME on a reasonably fast PC. www.bestmp3guide.com

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
ok i figured out the deal with iTunes.

you have to hit that weird Eye icon in the upper right hand of the iTunes window. It has Browse named under it. Then 3 boxs appears, each with a lists of Genres, Artists, or Albums... and you can select one item from those to delete an entire Genre, Artist, or Album

Yeah, that's a useful, time-saving feature that's been there forever, and I... * smacks forehead, rolls eyes * ... forgot to even mention it in my previous post... 'Browse' could use more power and more accuracy, though; deleting tracks from it is sometimes hit-or miss, and it sometimes shows tracks I've deleted days before and doesn't display tracks that I actually still have, that DO show up in the iTunes 'Library'... a decent piece of software, iTunes for OS X, but the deferred GUI maintenance is beginning to show...

As for transcoding, Austonia's right- re-ripping at the bitrate you want's the only way to keep the quality.

When I plug in the Ety 4S/4P on my um-amp'd iPod (G3 or G4), the 4S sounds definitively better than the 4P; the 4S sounds even better, though, with even a TA, let alone an Emmeline SR-71 amping the L/O from the iPod... the only portable sound that makes me momentarily forget my extreme and chronic case 'o tinnitus (had it since childhood 111F fever) are the HD 650 or the 4S, run loud enough to 'saturate/overwhelm' the tinnitus 'hum'; I never venture much louder than that threshold, to prevent CAUSING more tinnitus! The cleaner and stronger the amp signal I get, the less fatigue I experience during extended listening at 'threshold' volume levels; this is where iPod L/O+HFA+HD 650/4S really works best, at least for me.

That being said... if I had to, I'd rather listen to good source via 4S+iPod at 90% than 4P+iPod at 50-60%, any day...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back