Comments for my PCM2702 DAC layout?
Jul 7, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #527 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the only difference 'tween you and I is Home Premium 64 vs Ultimate Edition 64. Strange. And just to make sure, I used my Bantam/Carrie on my Vista Buisness 32-bit last night for hours with no problems.

One other difference I can think of "Carrie", and since this is joneeboi's proto/project it is one thing you both have in common.

I had a static noise with my second build that was caused by a bad solder joint on IC2, is it possible that by taking power from the Bantam board to power Carrie that there is not enough left for the DAC to function correctly?

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #528 of 613
No, it's not. There are 2.5W available from USB (more if you stray from spec), and the PCM uses less than a quarter watt at max. The chip in Carrie only delivers up to 1W (Carrie should draw less than half that), so there's no way there's a lack of power. Besides, both Gross and I have successfully hooked up the combos for several hours to different computers with different OSs without any problems.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #529 of 613
I just got my kit in today from glassjaraudio, and I'm having trouble telling which tps chip is which. One has PHUI with dots above and below the P. The other says PHJI with dots above and below the H and I and a single dot above the J. The PHJI had what I think is a 4 marked on it's little section of reel, but the PHUI just had a smudge.
Thanks for the help, I don't wanna fry this one like I did my alien.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #530 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynxkcg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my kit in today from glassjaraudio, and I'm having trouble telling which tps chip is which. One has PHUI with dots above and below the P. The other says PHJI with dots above and below the H and I and a single dot above the J. The PHJI had what I think is a 4 marked on it's little section of reel, but the PHUI just had a smudge.
Thanks for the help, I don't wanna fry this one like I did my alien.

You need to contact Jeff Rossell on this. Package labeling often differs according to the production batch. There's also nothing in the TI datasheet that indicates a labeling standard. So, it all depends on his own batches that he's ordered, I'm afraid. Hopefully, he'll package them separately in the future. Unless I'm missing something obvious, this may continue to be an issue. (My eyes aren't good enough to read the labeling anyway - I'd be up the creek if I got them mixed in the same bag.
wink.gif
)

I have no doubt that Jeff will clear things up for you, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #531 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other difference I can think of "Carrie", and since this is joneeboi's proto/project it is one thing you both have in common.

I had a static noise with my second build that was caused by a bad solder joint on IC2, is it possible that by taking power from the Bantam board to power Carrie that there is not enough left for the DAC to function correctly?

No, I also have the same problem with my 2 AlienDACs. They all work fine on other machines. I had just reloaded this PC and noticed the problem while building my Bantam and Carrie.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #532 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's not. There are 2.5W available from USB (more if you stray from spec), and the PCM uses less than a quarter watt at max. The chip in Carrie only delivers up to 1W (Carrie should draw less than half that), so there's no way there's a lack of power. Besides, both Gross and I have successfully hooked up the combos for several hours to different computers with different OSs without any problems.

I'd have to agree. The fact that TI pointedly lists only "Vista-Business" while listing several versions of XP, etc., seems indicative. IOW, other versions of Vista may or may not work and are at the user's risk.
frown.gif

I thought perhaps this might be one of the reasons for the PCM2702 becoming a NRND, but no - the OS compatibility sheet is valid for PCM270X and PCM290X, which includes all the potential future replacements for PCM2702 as well.

Hopefully, some enterprising Head-Fier will test the Bantam or Alien on Windows 7 and let us know how that does.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #533 of 613
Hi, I have the same static noise problem, but I don't even have Vista on my PC. I have Windows XP sp3. I run foobar and asio4all, too.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #534 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully, some enterprising Head-Fier will test the Bantam or Alien on Windows 7 and let us know how that does.
smily_headphones1.gif

Works without a hitch! I'm running Windows 7 32bit. Got ASIO working in foobar too without any problems.

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #535 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd have to agree. The fact that TI pointedly lists only "Vista-Business" while listing several versions of XP, etc., seems indicative. IOW, other versions of Vista may or may not work and are at the user's risk.
frown.gif

I thought perhaps this might be one of the reasons for the PCM2702 becoming a NRND, but no - the OS compatibility sheet is valid for PCM270X and PCM290X, which includes all the potential future replacements for PCM2702 as well.

smily_headphones1.gif

Systems that I can confirm Bantams work well on:
XP SP2
Vista Business 32 bit
Vista Business 32 bit SP1
Windows 7 32 bit
Windows 7 64 bit

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #536 of 613
Excellent! I've updated the BantamDAC website to include Windows 7 32 and 64 bit. Thanks, guys!

I noticed that I had stuck with the TI recommendations on the Bantam site and only had Vista Business listed for Vista. Seems weird, but maybe that's one of the reasons Vista had so many complaints.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #537 of 613
Mystery solved, eh? Good stuff. I should be able to get access to Windows 7 through school, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem come September. Thanks for helping out, everyone.

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #538 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mystery solved, eh? Good stuff. I should be able to get access to Windows 7 through school, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem come September. Thanks for helping out, everyone.

Unless you've only got dialup and need your school for faster internet, Windows 7 is a free public download.

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #539 of 613
Good news, got the noise problem solved. Bantam straight in usb from laptop gives a noise after a few minutes, Bantam in usbhub plays perfect. On another laptop it works perfect.

Jul 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #540 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by onyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news, got the noise problem solved. Bantam straight in usb from laptop gives a noise after a few minutes, Bantam in usbhub plays perfect. On another laptop it works perfect.

That's great! So maybe your one laptop has an issue with the connector, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back