Comments for my PCM2702 DAC layout?
Jun 28, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #511 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, if you follow convention - Positive should go toward the DAC, Negative to OL and OR. This is because the caps are grounded through R5 and R6 at OL and OR and Ground is Negative on the PCB.

It works (produces sound) in both way.
Was not sure but now got it, Thanks Tomb.

Matt

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #512 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been there, man. Actually, I'm there right now.
confused.gif
I've removed a 2702 before, and it tore off a lot of the traces. I just want to build a whole bunch of them just for the experience. I've got two ready to be built right now, so we'll see what steadiness my hands will have. =T

Quote:

Originally Posted by gross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, luckily I have the parts for 2 more, I will need one ready to pair with your proto Carrie next weekend

Been there x 2 , guys....

Check my attachment. Obviously one of them is not working and that is my first built.

My experience on the first one was that I got the voltages across C11 and C13 right. Somehow the DAC chip was fired (probably during checking). I replaced the chip and still not working.....
Did you use braid? My best guess was that the juice (leftover?) flowing out during desoldering with braid could cause blockages on some other soldering points (not mentioned the heat we applied during desoldering on this small board could actually "break" some other previously weakly soldered joints..)
That's how I left so much mess on the first board and I gave it up......
(Just like first love usually ends not so good....
wink.gif

Hopefully yours is not as poorly done as mine. So there's still a hope.
But I gave this board up and decided to start brand new. So I got other 2 working boards. I felt the work was much smoother than that on the first board.
I hope that will be how you feel on working on the latter, too.

Cheer~!

Matt

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #513 of 613
Just threw a new one together in record time. Worked perfectly first time. Thought I would remove the 2702 on my bad one, and I ruined one of the traces (pin 8, vBUS)to the point where I don't think I can use the board over again. Looks like I will only build 4 out of the 5 that I planned on.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #514 of 613
Hey all,

I got my BantamDAC finally up and running today. Huzzah!

I do have an issue though, and I have to wonder if I'm the first one to have this issue. The PCM connects fine on my Vista, but every few minutes, a certain music-producer turns to static. It happened in my iTunes, my foobar, a song in imeem. Even as I type this post, it refuses to quit. If I pause or close the application, the static goes away. If I pause foobar long enough, I can start it playing again as if there were nothing wrong.

That all tells me that it's an issue on the software side, but I don't know why it's happening. I disabled my laptop speakers, and it still happened. I haven't been able to find a page with settings that will keep my ASIO from messing up. I've been messing around with it for the past few hours, and no dice so far. I installed the Vista hotfix, but I don't really know what effect its had. Has anyone else had issues like this?

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #515 of 613
Actually, I was having the same issue this weekend, but I have not really used the computer much since I reloaded it, so I didn't know what to blame. I jumped around between 1 Bantam and 2 AlienDACs and eventually they all did the same thing. Sometimes the song would turn to loud hiss, sometimes there was just a really noisy background. I would unplug the DAC and plug it back in, and it would work fine. It seemed to ussually kick in around 10-15 minutes.

I recently reloaded the Machine with Vista 64-bit, my only computer running 64-bit so far. I thought that may be related. I have used other Bantams on my Vista 32-Bit machines without any of those issues.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #518 of 613
Quote:

So how do you have your foobar configured?

It's not really "configured." I simply accept the defaults and then select the output device desired. I guess that means it goes through the OS, but so be it. The worst I've ever had happen is that music will skip for an instant if the processor/hard drive is taxed, which doesn't happen too often on most PC's these days - maybe when I call up a large AutoCAD file or access a website with lots of pics. Even then, the drop out is only a split second and recovery is instantaneous with no ill effects.

Like I said, I know that's "blasphemy," but I've never had an issue doing this. I've got work laptops, an office PC and a couple of home PC's - each of which may run Foobar under different conditions and different operating systems. I use portable USB drives to contain all my music and simply connect one to whichever computer I happen to be using at the time. Foobar is installed in the "portable mode," so it resides on the USB drive. For instance, on my office PC, they don't even give me the capability to load a driver such as ASIO4All, yet the USB drive and a BantamDAC are instantly recognized.

Anyway, it greatly simplifies things and sounds great to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I have tried the ASIO4All driver several times in the past - I can't tell the difference with it anyway.

Jul 4, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #519 of 613
Okay, so I tried getting rid of ASIO4ALL, foobar, and I replaced usbaudio.sys in the System32 folder with one from an XP machine. None of those things are fixing my noise issue. The Bantam shows up fine in my Control Panel -> Sounds, but this weird noise only comes around when I'm listening to music or playing a video. I'll just be listening to music, and then nothing but static comes through from a certain program, be it foobar, VLC or a video in Firefox. I can see that my situation is fairly unique because there's nothing in this thread or Google that mirrors my experience. I listened to the thing all day on an XP machine, and it didn't make a fuss. There were two hotfixes for the USB audio in Vista Service Pack 1, but I know this doesn't require a new one because people are currently using Bantams on Vistas. I don't get it. Think Service Pack 2 will fix it? It's only just a few days out the door.

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #520 of 613
Quote:

Okay, so I tried getting rid of ASIO4ALL, foobar, and I replaced usbaudio.sys in the System32 folder with one from an XP machine. None of those things are fixing my noise issue. The Bantam shows up fine in my Control Panel -> Sounds, but this weird noise only comes around when I'm listening to music or playing a video. I'll just be listening to music, and then nothing but static comes through from a certain program, be it foobar, VLC or a video in Firefox. I can see that my situation is fairly unique because there's nothing in this thread or Google that mirrors my experience. I listened to the thing all day on an XP machine, and it didn't make a fuss. There were two hotfixes for the USB audio in Vista Service Pack 1, but I know this doesn't require a new one because people are currently using Bantams on Vistas. I don't get it. Think Service Pack 2 will fix it? It's only just a few days out the door.

There are some versions of Vista that won't even read a BantamDAC. That's why the hot fix was needed. If you've been able to operate it on an XP machine without any issues, then it has to be the copy of Vista.

As an aside, though - it's interesting that the ASIO4All made no difference with your problem on the Vista machine. It sort of contradicts what ASIO4All is supposed to do, but as stated before - that's been my experience. Most likely, someone needs to code a special version for Vista but I bet that'll be a long time coming.
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #521 of 613
It seems multiple sources are telling me it's just my copy of Vista. I just updated to SP2, but it's still happening. I reinstalled foobar and ASIO4ALL, and it's still happening. I've found a few other threads where people describe a metallic distortion noise; one referred to it as the sound of a thousand demons screaming. Most threads involve either installing hotfixes and drivers or getting replacements. I have searched high and low. Do I have to flip my OS just to get my DAC to work? Bah!

Jul 5, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #522 of 613
I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and I just applied SP2 and I still have the problem. random bursts of static and then about 6 songs in it is pure static. The sound seems to jump from left to right sometimes too. These same DACs are fine on my Vista x32 boxes.

Jul 6, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #523 of 613
Maybe it's just Vista 64, then? I have a Vista Business (32bit) PC and a Vista Business (32bit) laptop that have no issues.

Windows Vista Business is listed as compatible in Texas Instruments' "Updated Operating Environments for PCM270X, PCM290X Applications". This document is dated 19 Oct 2007, but I'm wondering if the implication is that Windows Vista in other forms is not compatible. Seems Vista Home would've been listed if it was - it was available at the same time that Vista Business was, if not before. Note that XP is listed as Business/Home whereas Vista is not.

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #524 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's just Vista 64, then?

I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit and both my Bantams work perfectly.
(Before and after installing SP2)

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #525 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit and both my Bantams work perfectly.
(Before and after installing SP2)

So the only difference 'tween you and I is Home Premium 64 vs Ultimate Edition 64. Strange. And just to make sure, I used my Bantam/Carrie on my Vista Buisness 32-bit last night for hours with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back