Comments for my PCM2702 DAC layout?
Nov 23, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #242 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't somebody use some larger VitaQ's for ahome build. I have one in a ciogar base box with polenty of room for exotic caps. Any recommendations?

Thanks

I did with 0.68uF VitQs bypassed by 0.047 MKPs. It sounds warmer more defined to my ears than the 1uF Vishay MKPs. Although the Bantam sounds great I would not spend more on output caps because the DAC is limited by its chip.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #243 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A V-cap in that rating is $270 ... you tell me.
wink.gif

That's what I thought
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm hoping to solve the problems with mine tonight. I ended up at work today
frown.gif
We had a drive failure, so now I'm watching the array rebuild.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #244 of 613
Well, I'll disagree a little bit with jERiCHOh. I think my BantamDAC with the Vishay-Roedersteins sounds better than my 0.66uf (three 0.22uf in parallel) Alien DAC. The VitQ's are just a trifle light on bass, while the Roedersteins are just d*mn fast, meaning highly detailed compared to the VitQ's. Yes, the VitQ's sound more refined in the mids and have outstanding musicality, but paired with my MiniMAX, the Roederstein BantamDAC sounds like a better combination.

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #245 of 613
I totally agree with you tomb ! But bypassing them with MKPs seemed to give the output more fastness. Well... to my ears. I must say I'm more into trying to correct the sound from my "downloaded" music than full bass response.

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #248 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jericho, where did you find the VitaQ's at?

beezar.com, which tomb runs, sells them in two values, at a couple few dollars each -- a generous service to us DIYers. You can configure them in parrallel to get higher values.

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #249 of 613
sorry guys i'm a total SMD noob other than ipod mods. the bantam kit arrived today. i'm assuming the resistors are non polar there are a couple with numbers on that would have some way of orienting them if that was the case, but most have no distinguishing marks whatsoever and look the same one way as the other

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #251 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the IC's, the two electrolytes, LED, and usb connector are polar.

Exactly right.

BTW, in the layout pic below - "+" is at left for the LED.

BantamDAClaytop-sm.jpg

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #252 of 613
TomB, is the long lead +? I swear that's how I put mine in a few days ago, but it was definitely backwards.

EDIT: Is leaving the DAC plugged in, but not to a source, beneficial for burning-in? I don't have my amps home on break with me, but I've still left my BantamDAC plugged in anyways..

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #253 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TomB, is the long lead +? I swear that's how I put mine in a few days ago, but it was definitely backwards.

Long lead is "+", positive. Quote:

EDIT: Is leaving the DAC plugged in, but not to a source, beneficial for burning-in? I don't have my amps home on break with me, but I've still left my BantamDAC plugged in anyways..

No, but it won't hurt it. I typically have mine connected to a USB port on the computer all the time. However, no current flows through the output caps unless it's connected to something and playing music.

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #254 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the IC's, the two electrolytes, LED, and usb connector are polar.

cool thats what I thought
icon10.gif
thanks lol @ the usb connector hehe, but i've heard they sound better when you reverse the polarity
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #255 of 613
again sorry for the noob question. when reading the schematic am I to assume that + will always be on the left when oriented the same way as the lettering indicates ie. with the output caps and everything that IS polar. so when oriented on the same way as the text for C7 or whatever the positive lead will be on the left as a rule??

ok i'm going to sleep its 4am and i've got a big bantam day tomorrow
wink.gif
will check back in the morning befoer I have my jug'o'coffee and get going on it.

also is there any booze that I can substitute for pure alcohol for cleaning the PCB after i'm finished?? ie vodka
tongue.gif
one for me one for the bantam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back