Comments for my PCM2702 DAC layout?
Oct 6, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #91 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meanwhile, just in case - another parts change I forgot to update on the production BOM:

C11 and C13 were upsized to 1206 parts for the production boards.

Have these changes been made on the BOM on the website?

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #93 of 613
Hi! New user here, I am filling out a BOM at mousers for a BantamDac or two. When searching for the regulator (IC1) i came across this one: TPS79333DBVRQ1, wich appear to be the same as the one in the BOM, but a newer model.

Just wanted to double check if this one will do?
you aslo save a whopping 10cents to change it. breathtaking i know.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #94 of 613
It looks like a good contender, also the fact that one can save a bundle of money is an additional benefit.
atsmile.gif

Regards

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #95 of 613
tomb, I con't open some of the pages in the bamtamdac site, such as the one regarding building it as a cabledac. Is this normal or am I experiencing problems?

Manuel

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #97 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tomb, I con't open some of the pages in the bamtamdac site, such as the one regarding building it as a cabledac. Is this normal or am I experiencing problems?

Manuel

Must be just you Manuel.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Seriously, GeWa is correct. From post #89 awhile ago:
Quote:

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'll try to have the rest of that website filled in by the end of the weekend.</snip>

There's enough up there right now for you pro-builders. I'll try my best to have the rest of it this weekend. There's only so much I can do without sitting down, building another one, and taking photographs along the way - that more or less takes another weekend before my day job is not in the way (it's a shame how that happens). Maybe I should've put an "under-construction" for those pages, but that's almost as much trouble for me to go ahead and do the pages.
wink.gif

I will update this thread and on DIYForums.org as more pages/details become available.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #98 of 613
Quote:

Must be just you Manuel.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Seriously, GeWa is correct. From post #89 awhile ago:

There's enough up there right now for you pro-builders. I'll try my best to have the rest of it this weekend. There's only so much I can do without sitting down, building another one, and taking photographs along the way - that more or less takes another weekend before my day job is not in the way (it's a shame how that happens). Maybe I should've put an "under-construction" for those pages, but that's almost as much trouble for me to go ahead and do the pages.
wink.gif

I will update this thread and on DIYForums.org as more pages/details become available.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what I tought! Now go away from head-fi and finish those pages!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not building one ATM since my bugdet for DIY is pretty low, but I'll keep an eye on it!

Looks good!

ps: have you found any "boutique" film caps that might fit a hammond 1455c801 enclosure? I guess the main problem might be the diameter of the cap, but having one of these with nice PIO caps might be worthy. What do you guys think?

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #99 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I tought! Now go away from head-fi and finish those pages!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm not building one ATM since my bugdet for DIY is pretty low, but I'll keep an eye on it!

Looks good!

ps: have you found any "boutique" film caps that might fit a hammond 1455c801 enclosure? I guess the main problem might be the diameter of the cap, but having one of these with nice PIO caps might be worthy. What do you guys think?

Well, putting one of these into a Hammond 1455C801 leaves a heckuva lot of room for boutique caps. I certainly would encourage anyone to try other boutique caps when using such a configuration (you have the room). Multiple parallel VitaminQ's certainly worked well with the Alien. If 6 x 0.22uf VitQ's fit in a mint tin, then maybe they'd stagger in a 1455C801, too - but I haven't tried it, yet.

I'm looking at the Box Enclosure RX2KL07-S case as the standard BantamDAC enclosure. I have a couple of those in hand and will be attempting to case a couple of Bantams this weekend. Looking at the cases and comparing them to the actual built board, it seemed that the Bantam would fit. However, referencing the actual dimensions and the recommended Pana FM 1000uf/6.3V electrolytic indicates that there may not be enough headroom. So, the safest thing is to let me attempt it, first. I'll report back when I know.

P.S. Please note that the C11 and C13 SMD caps have been revised to a much less expensive part #.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #100 of 613
I haven't done anymore building tonight, but I did make extensive measurements of the sample cases I'm going to use - to make absolutely sure that things will fit (they will!).

The recommended case, for both a traditional configuration and a CableDAC, is the Box Enclosures "Precision Miniature Case," #RX2KL07-S. These are available at Allied and Newark (when in stock) and directly from Box Enclosures. Beezar will also carry them in a few days.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, a question came up about the smaller electrolytic - C12. The uf rating of this cap is not critical. You will note that the description mentions a 68uf cap, but up to 330uf is OK, if it will fit. The idea is to put a cap there with as low ESR as possible. Typically, this is where an Os-Con has often been used. The Mouser number on the BOM is for a 220uf, low-cost alternative to an Os-Con, but with identical construction (super-low ESR, gel-electrolyte). The Mouser part number for C12 is our primary recommendation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #101 of 613
Hi there, I've just read the whole thread because I'm searching for a DiY DAC to build to go along with a Mini^3. I don't intend to put the DAC into the Mini^3 case because I want to use the Mini^3 with my portable player.

I'm the noobest of the noobs in the DiY community and wondered if I could manage to build this after building only a Mini^3. I'd surely order few boards with all the parts required and if I don't mess up I'll end up with few bantam DAC.

Edit: I also wonder why you didn't use a mini USB instead of the full size B-type USB?

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #102 of 613
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, I've just read the whole thread because I'm searching for a DiY DAC to build to go along with a Mini^3. I don't intend to put the DAC into the Mini^3 case because I want to use the Mini^3 with my portable player.

I'm the noobest of the noobs in the DiY community and wondered if I could manage to build this after building only a Mini^3. I'd surely order few boards with all the parts required and if I don't mess up I'll end up with few bantam DAC.

Edit: I also wonder why you didn't use a mini USB instead of the full size B-type USB?

ruZZ.il has a great post in the Aussie BantamDAC Group Buy thread right now. I suggest you refer to that for an un-biased take on things.

As for building this if you built a Mini3, unfortunately, the skills needed to solder the PCM2702 at SSOP-28 are much more difficult than the SOIC-8 opamps in the Mini3. The TPS chips are also a bit more difficult than the SOIC-8 REG101's in the Alien. That said, I am preparing a much higher-level of "how-to" than existed for the Alien, so I hope that will help. Certainly, many people have successfully built an Alien. The BantamDAC is very slightly more difficult - mostly because of the small size (less room to move around).

As for a mini USB, we considered it, but there's little to gain considering that the one power electrolytic is taller than the Type B USB jack, anyway. Ultimately, the Type B is more robust, especially if mounting the BantamDAC board into a case such as the Millett MAX. Plus, I'm predicting that the BantamCableDAC build option will remove most of the desire for having a mini-USB anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #104 of 613
Well, the BantamCableDAC is a success! I built this one using BG's and it sounds just like an Alien DAC, perhaps a bit better, but I'm biased, obviously.

I'll have lots of pics tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back