Comfy Headphones for around $200
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
I could use some guidance. I'm looking for comfortable headphones that produce awesome sound for around $200. They do not need to be portable at all, I'm just going to use them on my computer. No gaming here, all music. I only have a cheap entry level amp/dac (early magni/modi), so the headphones can't require a beefy setup.

I'm coming from the NAD Viso HP-50 which I've been using for 6 years or so and have enjoyed fairly well, but it's long overdue for something new (and the HP50s are definitely not comfy for more than an hour). My main discomfort comes from my ears heating up, and I wonder if all closed headphones are basically going to be ear warmers (if sound can't escape, your ears can't really breathe, it would seem), so I'd certainly consider the switch to open headphones. I prefer treble to bass, for whatever that's worth.

The two headphones I have been considering thus far are the Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx and the Sony MDR 1AM2. Heard a lot of good things about both.

The drawbacks of the Massdrop HD6xx seem to be somewhat flimsy earpads that need to be replaced every year or two for $40. I've also read it clamps too tight on your head for a while, before eventually loosening up.

The Sony MDR-1AM2 aren't as popular, but people who have them seem to really like them. They are said to be extremely durable and comfortable. a big bonus is that I can actually try them on at a local Bestbuy and see if I like the fit, and maybe get a little feel for how they sound as well. They are closed headphones, so I worry about ear heat again. They go on sale for $200 sometimes.

But I'm open to all headphone recommendations, doesn't have to be one of those two. Thanks!

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 11
I could use some guidance. I'm looking for comfortable headphones that produce awesome sound for around $200. They do not need to be portable at all, I'm just going to use them on my computer. No gaming here, all music. I only have a cheap entry level amp/dac (early magni/modi), so the headphones can't require a beefy setup.

I'm coming from the NAD Viso HP-50 which I've been using for 6 years or so and have enjoyed fairly well, but it's long overdue for something new (and the HP50s are definitely not comfy for more than an hour). My main discomfort comes from my ears heating up, and I wonder if all closed headphones are basically going to be ear warmers (if sound can't escape, your ears can't really breathe, it would seem), so I'd certainly consider the switch to open headphones. I prefer treble to bass, for whatever that's worth.

The two headphones I have been considering thus far are the Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx and the Sony MDR 1AM2. Heard a lot of good things about both.

The drawbacks of the Massdrop HD6xx seem to be somewhat flimsy earpads that need to be replaced every year or two for $40. I've also read it clamps too tight on your head for a while, before eventually loosening up.

The Sony MDR-1AM2 aren't as popular, but people who have them seem to really like them. They are said to be extremely durable and comfortable. a big bonus is that I can actually try them on at a local Bestbuy and see if I like the fit, and maybe get a little feel for how they sound as well. They are closed headphones, so I worry about ear heat again. They go on sale for $200 sometimes.

But I'm open to all headphone recommendations, doesn't have to be one of those two. Thanks!

@ropeadope,

As a MDR 1AM2 owner who actually still uses this headphone, hard to go wrong with said headphone...the only reason why they don't seem popular' is many still dislike Sony for many, varied reasons...not to mention, some simply hype trains &/or sheep.
Also, aside from sound quality, not many headphones in your budget fit as well easily...

So if Bestbuy has one to demo, I suggest you do so till you're satisfied then if so, just get them, I doubt you be disappointed.

Feel free to ask more when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 11
koss porta pro
619uUdiXuRL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 11
The most comfortable headphones I ever remember using in that price range were some Koss DJ headphones in the 1970s and a pair of on-ear Sennheisers I had in the 80s. I cannot remember the model numbers :frowning2:

It seems to me the on-ears when done correctly really are comfy. I haven't tried Grados but I wonder if that would be an option.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 11
I found the Philips Fidelio X2 to be more comfortable than the HD650, but that's just me.

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 11
I was going to recommend the Fidelio X2hr as well. They are very comfortable (for most people) and they will be more than adequately powered by your current setup and they sound great as well....oh, and they come in under budget at around $125.
The bass is excellent for an open backed headphone, the soundstage is awesome....they are a really good 'all around' headphone, they play well with a lot of different music genres.

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm not familiar with the original Magni/Modi stack but regardless, the X2 is much easier to drive than the HD650. If the original poster is looking for compatibility with their existing gear, jumping right into a 6-series Sennheiser is maybe not the best approach.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 11
@ropeadope,

As a MDR 1AM2 owner who actually still uses this headphone, hard to go wrong with said headphone...the only reason why they don't seem popular' is many still dislike Sony for many, varied reasons...not to mention, some simply hype trains &/or sheep.
Also, aside from sound quality, not many headphones in your budget fit as well easily...

So if Bestbuy has one to demo, I suggest you do so till you're satisfied then if so, just get them, I doubt you be disappointed.

Feel free to ask more when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Thanks, @PaganDL!

And thanks to everyone else as well. I'll go demo the Sony MDR 1AM2 headphones at Bestbuy, and also keep the X2HR on my radar, I hadn't seen those before. As much as comfortability is important, the sound will always be the number one priority.

Jan 22, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 11
X2hr aren't just recommended for their comfort, they sound as good as anything in the Sennheiser HD600 series. Here are a couple of reviews.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 11
i prefer the 598 (super comfortable straight out of the box) and the 6xx (almost matches 598 after flexing the metal bands) over the x2hr in comfort.

my glasses frames are a bit thick and the x2hr's huge pads just seems to find the perfect spot to absolutely crush my head with them. it's also substantially heavier than the sennheisers and i personally find the pads to be a tad too itchy. now of course you can stretch out the headband but you can't make it any less lighter and itchy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back