Comfortable IEM for iPhone to Relax?
Jun 30, 2010 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
After seeing how many people are convinced of IEMs in the Headphone VS Earphone thread I've decided to give IEMs another try.
My last pair were Senn's CX-500 and they couldn't convince me at all.

Source is an unamped iPhone 3GS. All music is at least encoded in AAC VBR 256 kBits/s. A few albums, of which I think are worth it, are kept in lossless format (I don't hear the difference, though... yet!).

Prefered music: Jazz, Rock, Electronic & Classical.

This is what I'm looking for:
  1. Comfortability: they have to be comfortable. This is more important to me than isolation. I do know that this varies greatly from ear to ear.
  2. Warm sound: I'm looking for a warm and smooth sound. I don't want the earphones to sound cold or aggressive.
  3. Fun sound: I'm neither a musician nor a sound engineer. I just want to enjoy music. When it comes down to it I'll prefer an unusual sound signature over an analytical one. But only as long as it doesn't kill any details!
  4. Light emphasis on bass: I don't want to blast my head with techno or anything. An average bass amount will probably be enough, but I don't want it to come too short.

Sadly I haven't ever been really interested in IEMs so I don't even know where to start. I grabbed some CX-400 & CX-500 some time ago, but I gave them away for free as I didn't like them. The CX-500 sounded overall too dark and muffled and was uncomfortable. The CX-400 was even worse but with much exaggerated bass. However, I'm sure you can recommend me some In-Ears that top these two (as one cost 25€ and the other 30€).

My budget is 150€ max. I don't know if it's even useful to go past the 100€ mark for an unamped source. You tell me. :)

Thank you!
etysmile.gif

P.S.: Sorry, I did search the forum and there are plenty recommendation threads with my budget level already, but I couldn't find any with emphasis on comfort and warm sound. The majority seems to prefer isolation and heavy bass. So please don't shoot me!
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 15
I do not own any of the iems I am about to propose to you, my recommendation is based on reviews. I will also suggest iems under your budget since there really is no need to spend that much on something you might not keep. Also do remember that you cant compare a 50$ iem with a 150$ headphone, or even with a 50$ headphone for that matter. If you are used to high end headphone sound at least be ready for some compromises on low tier iem. Also comfort is greatly depended on the tips used, you might need to experiment there a little bit, but generally speaking foam tips (like the shure olives) are considered the most comfortable.

VSonic R02ProII
ViSang R02
Thinksound TS01 / Thunder
Fischer Audio Eterna
Hippo VB

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 15
@Vash-GR

I've never heard of any of these before and when I read up I was surprised how well you paid attention to my demands! Thank you very very much for your time! Out of those, the Hippo VB do sound like a treat for me, as do the ViSang R03. The TS01 sounds very interesting, too.

Some of these were described as earphones for bass lovers, though (e.g. Thunder). Although that's where I come from, that's also from where I want to leave. I guess I need something in between.
I don't mind a bright sound either. Actually I'd pretty much enjoy a bright sound as long as it's not harsh and doesn't have any sibilance. That's why I ruled out the Fischer Audio. If it makes any sense, I'm searching for a sound that feels like laying in a field on a sunny day. (OK, that was weird...
bigsmile_face.gif
)

What's holding me back from your recommendations, though, is that none of those have a reseller in Germany and I'm not too keen on paying duty fees which can be exuberant in Germany. So if you don't mind I'll wait for some other recommendations.

Thanks again!

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Hm yes the thunder, eternas, and Hippo VB are often recommended for bass lovers. That being said the rev.2 of the eternas have less bass than the rev.1 and still has a fun sound signature. I just purchased the Thinksound Rains which have less bass than the thunders. They havent arrived but they might be another one to look into.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks, but I just spent the last 30+ minutes finding resellers for said earphones. The shipping costs to Germany are very high, especially considering possible duty fees.
frown.gif

Then I read @ljokerl's review of the Phonak Audéo PFE: "The overall sound of the PFEs amazes with its smoothness and clarity." This does sound really amazing. Only concearn I have is that "the PFE is one the rare IEMs that do benefit substantially from amping." The iPhone does have a stronger output than some other mp3-player, though... or that's what I heard.
The new models 012 & 022 are said to increase bass and only cost around 100 €. Additional filters are only 15 € so I have a lot to experiment and get used to different sounds. Looks like a great place for IEMs to start.

I think I have decided unless somebody jumps in here to warn me about the iPhone and PFE being a bad combo... Anyone?
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 15
Well you said slight emphasis on bass, all of these have that without being bass monsters (except eterna rev1, but now only rev2 is available which has less bass). If you are looking for bass-lite iems thats a different story (hence i didnt recommend things like Head Direct RE0, Thinksound Rain, SoundMagic PL50 etc). Eterna from my knowledge are not sibilant unlike the Hippo VB which I have heard reports of sibilance (which goes away with a good burn in and proper tips).

The PFE is good, there is no doubt about that, earlier versions had some problems but they all have been fixed. The company's new line 012-022 are essentially the same as the 121 minus the accessories and filters. However on that money (around 150€) there are other excellent options as well like the Fischer Audio DBA-02, Monster Turbines, Panasonic HJE900.

Forgot to mention the most important thing. When ordering always ask if they can mark the item as gift (to avoid customs) and if possible to underdeclare price on the package (again to avoid customs).

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 15
The new Phonak Audéo PFE 012/022 is well worth considering.  The price/performance ratio is VERY impressive.

I have a pair of 012s and use with my iPod Touch 3rd Gen. While the volume needs to be at the upper end of the scale, they are plenty loud enough for my ears!
L3000.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 15
considering you used the magic word "relax", you'll be happy with the PL50's. Very calm and oh so smooth sound, and a very useful companion when sleeping, especially that it's very very comfortable. many find the bass to be some sort of anemic, but for me it's just enough.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 15
Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. No luck finding a German reseller yet but there are several shops in Switzerland that sell them for 67 €! I'm considering to import.

Quote:
The new Phonak Audéo PFE 012/022 is well worth considering.  The price/performance ratio is VERY impressive.

I have a pair of 012s and use with my iPod Touch 3rd Gen. While the volume needs to be at the upper end of the scale, they are plenty loud enough for my ears!
L3000.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 15
You really ought to consider the Radius DDM's (you'll find a few threads on them atm). They will give you a very relaxing, but far from dull sound, and in my experience work pretty well enough with my 3G to counteract the lack of sub-bass that they seem to have. They have a very emotive sound, especially for natural instruments, and are still very detailed - though they are anything but sharp or etched. Though the bass quality is fantastic and one of the standout features, they are still balanced and polite.

They might be a little over your budget, but seriously take a look. I cannot imagine much that can be had that could be better at their price at the moment.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 15
@LiveAndLetDie & @a_recording

Thanks. Just like @Vash-GR's recommendations, both IEMs sound exactly like what I'm looking for! But both must be imported, again risking duty fees and high shipping costs. For now I'll stick to Phonak and I will try to grab at least one of the other recommendations next year when I'll be in Shanghai and Hongkong.
I'll especially consider the Radius as an upgrade for the "Perfect Fit Earphone."

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 15
So I got a reply from Phonak's German Audéo team and they said they're planning to release the PFE 012 & 022 this month (July 2010), but they haven't decided on a release date yet and they're still not sure at what price it will be available.

So instead I grabbed a used pair of Hippo VBs from the sale/trade forum!
etysmile.gif

Thank you for your help, everyone! I might come back to this thread if I'm not pleased with them, hehe.

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Thank you for your help, everyone! I might come back to this thread if I'm not pleased with them, hehe.

And here I am!

You can have a look at how I think of the Hippo VB in this thread. This is what I'd like them to sound (with the two doted plate):

As you can see I don't find them comfortable at all. Be sure to check the Sale/Trade forum soon if you're interested in them.

So... any other recommendations?

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 15
So the Hippo VB were not what I was looking for so I finally picked up the Phonak Audéo PFE 112 which I wanted for over a year now.
Wow, these are amazing!!
Voices have never sounded so great to my ears before! I've fallen in love with Joss Stone!

Bass is subtle, but it's there when needed. Bass guitar just sounds incredible! I might get some green filters, too, just to compare.

Sadly my iPhone's line out jack has died so I'm currently using my wife's 3GS. Way too much Pop on there but I don't really care because it just sounds so damn awesome!

Bye bye Hippos, you've been served!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back