Comfortable, Balanced, decent bass earbuds on a budget (~100$ and NOT BOSE IE2/Apple In-ear)
Aug 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rosenthal

New Head-Fier
Hello there,
I know in this forum there are around a bazillion topics asking for this answer (for the 100$ part and not only), but this time it would be a little bit different. I have been disappointed with the model on the title. I got the Apple ones as a gift and couldn't return them and that vocals were great , but the bass (and i love bass) ... was just plain terrible. I tried to "burn them"in by letting them on-use for about 30hrs. Didn't work. Then I bought the Bose IE2 (knowing that they offer poor noise isolation, next to none actually), but there were also a great reviews stating that they are very comfortable (they really are), and that have a good bass (I value it as I said). And they really had good bass... but oh s**t! The vocals were astonishingly bad :xf_mad: . Almost like sounding from water... Not nice. 
I am coming from a Pioneer Se-CLX50 from which I am just stunned from the sound quality. The best I have tried so far in this price range, and I am trying other because the one earbud stopped working after 2 years of use. I want such sound. But they are out of the market for now. They were also pretty comfortable as well. I think in this forum there are people knowing similar models (probably from other manufacturers other than Pioneer) and hope to give me an advice. 
But keep in mind that I value good Bass    and comfort factors (but not rubbish highs like on the BOSE).
I should have listened to the people saying that the Bose suck...

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 16
Please confirm that you have a good seal with the Apple IEMs, they don't have the best impact, but do have decently good bass.  Try different tips (the stock Apple ones don't seem to fit with with most users).  The Sony Hybrids (get actual ones) seem to work very well with the Apple IEMs.

I have no idea what is wrong with your Bose, they normally poor lows and highs (no highs, no lows; must be Bose), but good mids (vocals lie in this area). 

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 16
About the apples - well I have tried and the smallest fit me best. I think it is a decent seal, but what is also unbelievably annoying is that the rubbing in clothes is transmitted and makes it almost impossible when running/moving outside. 

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
About the apples - well I have tried and the smallest fit me best. I think it is a decent seal, but what is also unbelievably annoying is that the rubbing in clothes is transmitted and makes it almost impossible when running/moving outside. 

Wear them over the ear or use a clip, all true IEMs have this microphonic issue, there's no getting around it.  Also experiment with other tips.

Aug 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 16
I second the suggestion to try the Sony Hybrids. While not bass monsters, the ADDIEM has enough bass to be quite listenable. If you want a bass monster, I suggest the Monster Turbine which is just under $100 new on Amazon or $50 refurbished from the Monster Outlet store.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Audio Technica CKM500 may be a good choice.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 16
How did I miss this post?!?

Oh yeah, I was on the naughty chair...

Anyway, Etymotic MC5s with the NRB Mod.

Nuff said, Jim

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 16
AirBuds are the best for bass/comfortable as hell and are 40$. (www.air-buds.com/product/)

Shure SE215 are also my old ones and I liked them but I dont think they are worth 100. IMO

(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SE215?utm_source=none&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CPDCj_DK4LICFcKDQgodPh8AgA)

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
How did I miss this post?!?

Oh yeah, I was on the naughty chair...

Anyway, Etymotic MC5s with the NRB Mod.

Nuff said, Jim

... The naughty chair?  
eek.gif

Oh, yes --- +7 on SE-215.  
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back