Come on, Bose-bashers, beat the Bose AE
Apr 23, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #46 of 92
what a well thought out response. well done. bashing here is done too frequently. imagine if it was your country or province ( i know i am opening this too wide but). if someone A said: i love living in holland and the next person B says 'holland sux shyte. it is supported by dikes' or some such something, it would hurt the person. now, that is way too way too dissimilar but why bash an opinion or product based on opinion?

the person never said they are the best sounding but merelythat for the spec s/he wants, it is the best phone. and i think it is probably right, for the spec, it is hard to beat the triport for what the op wants.

and there are places in the world where apple buds and bose are not at all big names or even unheard of. i had only heard of bose in 2002 by chance at a bbt place. i got to headfi after thinking that senn was the big bad devil (or would be since it is massive) but instead it is small bose.

if they are so well marketted, it may be only in a very few countries and/or on airplanes.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #47 of 92
^^^

Sounds like you found your perfect can. Might as well stay with the triports if you are happy with them. Seems like you aren't happy with anything else out there...and yes subjectivity is everything. It will save you a lot of money in the long run if you stop wondering, and just start "listening".

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #48 of 92
Again I totally agree with the OP. Its truly a shame that people just like to 'bash'. IMO its just proof of that you don't really know what you are talking about. I'm not talking here about the people who don't like the sound of bose or anything, because that is offcourse just an opinion. I'm talking about people who heard a bose surround system once, thought it was awefull (like I do) for the price, and now hate everything with the name Bose on it.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #49 of 92
first of all, i had bose in-ear phones. they were horrible. worse than ibuds. i thought something was wrong with them and had bose replace it. nothing was wrong, they were just bad.

onto the bose around-ear phones..
i had a pair of bose around-ear phones for a few weeks.
i thought they were pretty decent. they had some decent bass, and the treble was not as bad as a lot of people here (who supposedly heard these phones) claimed it to be.
when amped, the sq even improved quite a bit. to me, the sound was fun. yes fun. if you think something is wrong with my ears, i dont care. you can kiss my ....
did/would i pay $130~$150 for it? nope but i wouldnt mind paying 50 bucks for it. i was curious about it, and got a free pair from the american express rewards program. even tho i liked it, i sold them (for $125 on ebay) because i preferred my sennheisers and beyers for home use and iem's on the go.
right now, i am thinking about getting another pair from the amex reward program so i can use it for games and movies because the sq isn't bad and it's so light and comfortable.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #50 of 92
Ah what the heck....

Might not be as portable, but I also throw in the Audio Technica ATH A700.

The pads are cheap, but they are extremely confortable, leak little, sound FUN, and are cheaper.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #51 of 92
Quote:

5) the Panasonic RP-HTX7 is a loose contender although I suspect leaks more and yes, doesn't sound as good as the AE.

I just put my HTX7 over my leg to get a tight fit and play music on it on my normal listening volume. Apparently my PC which is 6 feet away has louder fans than I thought cause I don't detect any significant leak on HTX7 at all. I don't own a triport to compare its sound to HTX7 right now, but I can recall my audition on the BOSE center few years ago didn't impress me at all - neither triport nor HTX7 can claim to have good sound quality (at least to my ear they can't), but at least HTX7's price/performance ratio makes sense to me. Like Uncle Erik said, there are a lot of 'phones out there are 'entertaining, has good build quality and costs half as much.' Of course, there is nothing wrong if some one love his/her triport, but it will never get my recommendation, based on actual reasoning.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #52 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleakhaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the responses, guys.
3) Not everyone wants ****ing IEMS
smily_headphones1.gif
It if did I wouldn't have posed the question as I did. They can be uncomfortable and my ear holes are too small for them.

Not to beat a dead horse but have you tried using small foam tips for whatever IEMs you sampled/owned? Not to mention you may simply be unused to wearing IEMs if you haven't used them prior. I remember when I first got my iM716s they felt like a demonic presence I needed to exorcise, but with time they are not only comfortable but I don't notice them at all when I'm wearing them.

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #53 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to beat a dead horse but have you tried using small foam tips for whatever IEMs you sampled/owned? Not to mention you may simply be unused to wearing IEMs if you haven't used them prior. I remember when I first got my iM716s they felt like a demonic presence I needed to exorcise, but with time they are not only comfortable but I don't notice them at all when I'm wearing them.

but the quantity of im716's bass is not as much as bose. the OP likes TeH BaSS!

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #54 of 92
Teh Bass?

How about built-in [size=xx-large]v[/size][size=x-large]i[/size][size=large]b[/size]r[size=medium]a[/size][size=large]t[/size][size=x-small]i[/size][size=xx-small]n[/size][size=small]g[/size] [size=xx-large]s[/size][size=small]u[/size][size=large]b[/size][size=small]w[/size][size=medium]o[/size][size=x-large]o[/size][size=xx-large]f[/size][size=x-large]e[/size][size=large]r[/size][size=medium]s[/size][size=xx-large]!?!
43345_md.jpg

[size=x-small]Skull Crushers [/size]

[/size]

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #55 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Teh Bass?

How about built-in [size=xx-large]v[/size][size=x-large]i[/size][size=large]b[/size]r[size=medium]a[/size][size=large]t[/size][size=x-small]i[/size][size=xx-small]n[/size][size=small]g[/size] [size=xx-large]s[/size][size=small]u[/size][size=large]b[/size][size=small]w[/size][size=medium]o[/size][size=x-large]o[/size][size=xx-large]f[/size][size=x-large]e[/size][size=large]r[/size][size=medium]s[/size][size=xx-large]!?!
43345_md.jpg

[size=x-small]Skull Crushers [/size]

[/size]

you are teh winnar !

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #56 of 92
I actually really like my Bose TriPorts. I don't use them anymore because my Ultrasone HFI-700 has a similar sound, but it's much better quality. When I want an open can, I use my DT990.

A lot of Bose bashers here have probably not ever had extensive listening with Bose cans. I've owned mine for over three years and am very satisfied, but I've moved on to better things now. In that price range, I think that the TriPorts are actually pretty good. I like the OP's point that everyone complains about them being maybe $30 overpriced, but no one bats an eyelash when someone drops $300 upgrading from an SR325i to an RS-1.

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #57 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleakhaus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T
2) There are members on this forum who will chant "death to Bose" while ignoring any other facts, and I think that's a shame. Look guys, I get it-- the average consumer thinks there are only two types of headphones: buds that comes with iPods and Bose ("the best!"). I realize that part of the fun of Head Fi is being alternative by liking Grados etc and reveling in obscurantism. I sympathize and understand. Honestly I was being a bit of a pain in the ass to prove a point about this forum.

While I think most of your post was well thought out and makes a point, I have to disagree with this one. People here are into what sounds best, period! Its not about being alternative, inclusive or different. It is about finding the best headphones in a particular price range, pointing them out, and then having a discussion about them. "Best" may be slightly different from one person to another but most people heavily weigh best on sound quality.

Oh and I would also like to point out that any Grado even the iGrado would smoke the Bose AE when it comes to sound.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #58 of 92
sonic qualities aside, the BOSE is not bad at all for comfort and leakage... from the brief couple of minutes i had with them.

if comfort and isolation are the top priorities, i dont see why some people would balk at buying them--especially here, where ~$130 is sneezed upon (and they dont require amping supposedly!)

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #59 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the quantity of im716's bass is not as much as bose. the OP likes TeH BaSS!

^_^ Just meant it as an example of the IEMs I've got, there are plenty of bass emphasised IEMs out there to choose from. Although I have to say:

H320 -> Mini^3 -> iM716

PLENTY of bass.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #60 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sonic qualities aside, the BOSE is not bad at all for comfort and leakage... from the brief couple of minutes i had with them.

if comfort and isolation are the top priorities, i dont see why some people would balk at buying them--especially here, where ~$130 is sneezed upon (and they dont require amping supposedly!)

that is a great point. Bose is great for comfort. but terrible on durability. most break after a year or two.

i'm sorry but i wouldn't spend that much money on Bose when i can get a set of Sony MDR-EX90LP for about $50-$70. or klipse custom 2.

i'm tried every bose headphone and none impressed me with their sound. they are all very very comfortable and now they make one bluetooth with a mic and noise canceling...WOW
eek.gif

but for the price they just aren't worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back