Come here and rave about HD650.
Apr 13, 2005 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Mastergill

500+ Head-Fier
I had some thought about starting a thread like that since last december, after one year of HD650 ownership, because i have to say i'm still amazed by the extraordinary quality of these phones. I mean c'mon a $450 retail phone which obviously show no limitation even surrounded by $11,000 worth of gear it's kind of a revelation for a speaker dude like me. This was also the case with HD600, but as i said many time here i cannot think about a more refined, low distortion, flat frequency response from headphone than what i got from my HD650 every time i press "play" on my CDP.

I feel more like having two mini-monitor speakers attached to my head than just a simple headphone. Huge and precise soundstage, killer dynamics that make me think: "You got a nuke blast recording! No problem i can play it back!"...Infinite headroom...but more important an extremely low distortion level, which can match some of the best British monitor speakers that i love. IMO this is the KEY about audio reproduction, especially with gear like speakers and phones, which job is to turn electricity into wave of sounds, not an easy task.

So this thread is for you guys and gals, who own and love HD650, who absolutely doesn't feel the need to look elsewhere, who can wait peacefully for HD700. Either you have a Rega Ear or a Blockhead (or better
wink.gif
) it doesn't matter a lot, tell me, tell us what you love about HD650.

If you have entry level gear do you feel the potential of these phones?
If you upgraded like a madman around 650s, share your experience, what they gave you more as you climbed the ladder? Well, just come here and rave about HD650!

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 40
No replies yet? What's wrong with HeadFi?!?!?!

I will add my opinions based on limited experience and midfi gear
biggrin.gif

I used to look elsewhere, wondering if the AKG K340, HD600, RS-1, etc. would fit my tastes better. I'm done with that. I read as much positive as negative about those headphones, so I might as well just keep my HD650s that i'm happy with
tongue.gif
They are not perfect, but i'm happy with them. (Although of course, Synergy is a huge issue, and my system is not very synergistic with itself or my tastes right now, so I am probably no where near the HD650s potential)

I *do* feel their potential. It sounds strange, but to me HD650s are like a living thing. I can hear them talking to me. When I put in the Zu Mobius, they were like "Ooohhh, nice" in regards to the high build quality, and extra refinement in the sound. But the silver cabling and added brightness, they didn't like so much. They very fighting it every step of the way. Because that just doesn't jive with HD's personality. He's more of a laidback, warm-and-fuzzy sort of guy.

I can hear the cluttered, slightly distorted nature of the sound with my current gear and stock HD650 cabling. But somehow I just *know* it will get better with concurrent upgrades. Wierd.

I guess you could say i've joined Team HD650
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 40
edit

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 40
I'm a HD-650 man of the first hour. I can even proudly say I'm the first Head-Fi member to own one. And my appreciation hasn't diminished since the final break-in state or the first cable upgrade. With a little generosity I would call it flawless in almost every sonic criterion, at least there's no obvious fault in its sonic presentation -- my premise number one with audio devices --, and as Mastergill has pointed out, its distortion level is (audibly!) exemplarily low, making it extremely transparent and clean sounding despite the unobtrusive or even slightly rolled-off treble. A unique combination. Treble extension is excellent nonetheless, and the same applies for the wonderfully clean and strong bass.

Anyway, on an absolute scale I wouldn't call it sonically perfect -- some other headphones, particularly electrostatics, offer even higher resolution and maybe «better» soundstage, but most if not all of them coupled with certain side-effects in the form of higher fatiguingness, demonstrativeness, sonic-balance problems or demandingness in terms of electronics or recordings...

In any event it's damned good for the money and deserves and reacts to source and amp electronics worth much more than itself. Actually I was expecting a sonic signature a little different than the actual one from the HD 600's successor, so the HD 650 has disappointed me in this regard. On the other hand I wasn't expecting such a high level of resolution, clarity and cleanness. All in all it's become my long-tierm favorite. That doesn't mean to prevent me from having open ears towards new developments though, and be it from the opposite end of the manufacturer spectrum. But I can't think of selling my HD 650 whatever happens.

peacesign.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 40
I am still unclear on what makes people prefer the HD650 over HD600. From the sound of things, they are incredibly similar. If one has an extremely high-end system, what differences can be detected between the (stock) 600 and 650?

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 40
I've got mine paired with a Creek OBH 21SE. This combination sounded uninvolving on a Sony DVP-NS900 dvd/sacd player. Then I noticed that the Creek+HD650 sounds different (i.e. much better) with a M-Audio Audiophile Firewire external soundcard as source. What the heck the Senns also sounded better driven merely by the soundcards headout.
I replaced the Sony with a Philips 963SA dvd/sacd player (can do upsampling at 96/192 khz) and I'm pretty happy now.
My wife is using the second head out of the Creek with a pair of Senn HD600.

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 40
The HD-650's are incredibly good headphones in their own right, full stop. They do practically everything 'right' and nothing at all 'wrong' (at least not to my ears). They're especially amazing when you consider what else is out there in the same price range (for HD650/stock cable). They also respond very well to 'cable rolling' for those who are so inclined, and this is nice to have as an option. There is no doubt that the HD650's are a legitimate 'live with forever' contender, and ought to be auditioned by anyone looking for the final frontier in their headphone journey.

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 40
I started my headphone journey nearly 2 years ago with the HD580 and after hearing nearly all the goodies I returned to the classic Sennheiser. The HD650 simply improved on everything I loved about the HD580: it simply sounds so natural and musical to my ears. Even the mighty HE90 sounds less natural, or “real” to me (though my hunt for the HE60 continues). Perhaps my ears and mind have grown acclimated to the HD650 sound, but no other headphone sounds as "right" to me as the Sennheiser dynamic. As I've upgraded my gear from a lowly Santa Cruz soundcard to the Benchmark DAC1 (and many more sources/amps during my two-year tenure here, and now I’m driving it via a balanced Zu Mobius); it has revealed every change and responded accordingly with every minor tweak and adjustment. When I heard the HD650 being driven from the Accuphase DP-85 and BlockHead w/Stepped Attenuators the HD650 again arrived at a new plane of performance – I fully realized that the HD650 has more potential, and I’m interested in hearing it with the other high-end amps (though I think a balanced rig is the ultimate solution for the Sennheiser). The fact that the HD650 sounds great with a $150 PIMETA and grows with the BlockHead, Dynamight and Cary 300SEI (not to mention Mastergill's Manley amp) simply speaks plenty regarding its potential and versatility. I love the HD650 and despite the current anti-HD650 atmosphere among many members at the moment I'm not ashamed to publicly declare this passion - the HD650 is my sound.

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 40
I really wanted to like the HD-650, many on head-fi raved over it (as can be seen here). I bought the headphone, and also bought the Zu Mobius cable. In either form, I didn't find the headphone involving with the rock/metal I listen to. I was also in the camp that hears a veiled sound from the phone.

However, it's still a good headphone for someone looking for what it does....play non-fatiguing smooth music in a laidback manner. I find that dull, others find it "true" and to their taste.

The HD-650 falls into the audition first and don't spend more money if you don't like it category to me. I feel that the latter is particularly noteworthy for prospective buyers.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 40
I kept telling myself I liked the beautiful glossy 650's with the sparkling Zu Mobius cable, especially considering how technically superior these headphones are for the money. As it has been said, extremely low distortion levels and revealing detail on a microscopic level, great response throughout the range, which is very extended in the bass especially. I really thought I loved these headphones for a while, as I fought back my mind telling me 'its too bright (forward) and it hurts!'

Anyway I bought the 600's instead and they aren't as good but at least I can enjoy them.
biggrin.gif
That's my experience with the 650's... not an entirely bad experience, but not an entirely good one either. I'm not trying to crap on this thread, in fact I'm mainly posting because I want to emphasize the good qualities of the 650's. It is just the overall sonic signature that I guess just isn't my style.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
'its too bright (forward) and it hurts!'

bright is not forward.
eek.gif
totally different things. bright is treble energy/harshness. anyways, that means you are either 1) not a fan of silver cabling 2) just not a fan of the Zu
biggrin.gif
You can still enjoy the HD650. I hate the Zu and silver cables, but love the stock HD650.....

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
bright is not forward.
eek.gif
totally different things. bright is treble energy/harshness. anyways, that means you are either 1) not a fan of silver cabling 2) just not a fan of the Zu
biggrin.gif
You can still enjoy the HD650. I hate the Zu and silver cables, but love the stock HD650.....

I'm afraid this is not true, as I experienced a similar problem with the 'brightness' or 'forwardness' or whatever you want to call it when I was using the stock cable. I enjoyed what the Zu did for the sound, but it did not correct the problems (or make them worse, really) I was having with the 650's. I like silver a lot actually, and the Zu is not entirely silver.

Apr 14, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 40
Hmm, I have some silver plated, teflon insulated copper wire lying around that I plan to recable my HD600 with. Hopefully it won't be too bright. I've heard good things about silver plated copper...people saying it has the warmth of copper and some of the detail of silver without being too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back