Combo Review: Euphony PTS - Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - Keces P8
Nov 15, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #121 of 210
Actually I mean a regular cd qualaty that comes from CD player / transport like I have for example (c.e.c. Transport). But some times I listen the music from my digital collection and want same quality.... :)
If Euphony beat Auralic and cames close to cd that can be very good thing instead of spending thousands grands...:)

I own both the Euphony PTS system and the Auralic Aries Mini (with optional Auralic linear power supply). I never added an internal drive to the Mini, so I only used it for streaming audio and playing music from an attached external hard drive. The Euphony PTS I purchased has an internal SSD drive. That complicates the comparison, but from what I recall, the Euphony PTS is a definite step up from the Auralic Mini. I have since packed up the Mini and only use the Euphony PTS.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #122 of 210
Actually I mean a regular cd qualaty that comes from CD player / transport like I have for example (c.e.c. Transport). But some times I listen the music from my digital collection and want same quality.... :)
If Euphony beat Auralic and cames close to cd that can be very good thing instead of spending thousands grands...:)
C.E.C transport is not regular! It is state of the art belt drive CD transport! I have one which unfortunately is half dead in repair now. It would be hard to beat a CEC transport. What model do u have ? But with hi res latest state of the art recording, those can beat CDs that have less optimal recording or poorer pressings. At times euphony may reach vinyl-like states but mind u I have a R2R DAC.

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #123 of 210
C.E.C transport is not regular! It is state of the art belt drive CD transport! I have one which unfortunately is half dead in repair now. It would be hard to beat a CEC transport. What model do u have ? But with hi res latest state of the art recording, those can beat CDs that have less optimal recording or poorer pressings. At times euphony may reach vinyl-like states but mind u I have a R2R DAC.
Thank You!
Yes surely cec is state of the art:)I mean cd quality in general :) never mind.
I’ve TL2N c.e.c. transport that connected to DA5, unfortunately here no same level DAC out now, the owner Ken Ishiwata said that planning to make DAC that will suit TL2N, but unfortunately (for me at least) here will not be possibility for digital source connecting only from cd by their Superlink.
As He said “ music by music”:) It is very strange decision for my opinion and will block me from purchasing this DAC.

Regarding Euphony - actually this is only soft that giving us music qualaty (as far as I understand this concept) and never mind where it’ll be installed, but what about hardware ? Can better hardware will give more?
BTW- Instruction point that I need boot a computer (in case and I got only software) and start app- so in this case will it possible to use computer in it’s proper way, or it’ll be serving only as a music server?
Thank You

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #124 of 210
Personally I find the Euphony PTS with the Keces P8 power supply and Matrix X-SPDIF 2 combination to sound better than any high-end CD transport I've experienced. I've owned Esoteric and CEC and various other really nice spinners. Currently own a Simaudio Orbiter which sold for around $8k when new. It's a stunning transport, but the Euphony combo beats it slightly (depending on the DAC being used, obviously).

The Euphony PTS hardware is very minimalist. Powered by a good PSU, it does an excellent job unleashing the sonic benefits of the Euphony software. Could there be an improvement using high-end hardware? Maybe, but it's not as easy as you might think. The PTS is better than the expensive custom machine I built a few years back, and that has all sorts of dedicated hardware in it.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #125 of 210
Personally I find the Euphony PTS with the Keces P8 power supply and Matrix X-SPDIF 2 combination to sound better than any high-end CD transport I've experienced. I've owned Esoteric and CEC and various other really nice spinners. Currently own a Simaudio Orbiter which sold for around $8k when new. It's a stunning transport, but the Euphony combo beats it slightly (depending on the DAC being used, obviously).

The Euphony PTS hardware is very minimalist. Powered by a good PSU, it does an excellent job unleashing the sonic benefits of the Euphony software. Could there be an improvement using high-end hardware? Maybe, but it's not as easy as you might think. The PTS is better than the expensive custom machine I built a few years back, and that has all sorts of dedicated hardware in it.

So for Your opinion and experience, is better get PTS instead of trying build something on the base of mini computer (NUC, Think Center tiny and so on), right?As power supply for my Auralic mini I use HDPlex, hope it will work good too.
Actually this is "The PTS is better than the expensive custom machine..." as You wrote, I'm looking for :)
Hope soon I'll get it a try....
BF and CM coming closer:) - may be here be a bit of luck get it for a less price:)

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #126 of 210
Yes that's my experience, after trying quite a few machines ranging from $500-$5000 give or take.

However, I always say that building your own can be a lot of fun, a valuable learning experience, and sound great as well. Assuming you have the time and energy for it. I would never try to talk someone out of that if they wanted to do it.

Actually, I bet you would have great results from building your own and then buying just the Euphony software to run on it.... I'm convinced that a lot of the Euphony PTS magic comes from the software side. But it comes down to opposing views - simplistic minimalist hardware or overkill powerhouse? Both have their merit.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #128 of 210
The CEC is surely a so called holy Grail of Transport considering all others are no loner in manufacture. I have a T1 old one but has been in repair now due to being so old! It does not even have the 4 BNC link. The Da5 may be your weakest link, ESS9018 is not taht great. But I did use CEC on a DAC ESS 9018 duo chip, sounding pretty damn organic and analogue, and very little shrill/digitalis except for bad recordings.
I think Linux platform is now the hottest one to use, and euophony uses that. I was listening to vinyl again yesterday and A/B switching back to euphony playing Hi Res and also Low Res. does not make digital that bad after all! The lack of digital glare/harshness makes it really close to vinyl and may beat vinyl in sound stage too, and analogue feel is very close to vinyl. Granted that I was using a cheap turntable and $150 MM cartridge, crappy phono wire etc. + old recordings that may not be that good, but in the past the winner was still clearly vinyl, But now not so sure. At least I did not get the reaction of "damn, digital sucks, can't listen to it anymore!" after switching back to digital.
You can boot from any USB drive with the euphony loaded. You cannot boot from the latest Macbook as Apple made it impossible to boot from USB. I boot from an external SATA 2.5 Samsung and has plenty of space for loading music into the SSD. It uses the computer's CPU only e.g the intel chip and the RAM but not the SSD inside the Computer. That is bypassed. So the music is stored in the external SSD. Or you can do Roon etc ...

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #129 of 210
The CEC is surely a so called holy Grail of Transport considering all others are no loner in manufacture. I have a T1 old one but has been in repair now due to being so old! It does not even have the 4 BNC link. The Da5 may be your weakest link, E SS9018 is not taht great. But I did use CEC on a DAC ESS 9018 duo chip, sounding pretty damn organic and analogue, and very little shrill/digitalis except for bad recordings.
I think Linux platform is now the hottest one to use, and euophony uses that. I was listening to vinyl again yesterday and A/B switching back to euphony playing Hi Res and also Low Res. does not make digital that bad after all! The lack of digital glare/harshness makes it really close to vinyl and may beat vinyl in sound stage too, and analogue feel is very close to vinyl. Granted that I was using a cheap turntable and $150 MM cartridge, crappy phono wire etc. + old recordings that may not be that good, but in the past the winner was still clearly vinyl, But now not so sure. At least I did not get the reaction of "damn, digital sucks, can't listen to it anymore!" after switching back to digital.
You can boot from any USB drive with the euphony loaded. You cannot boot from the latest Macbook as Apple made it impossible to boot from USB. I boot from an external SATA 2.5 Samsung and has plenty of space for loading music into the SSD. It uses the computer's CPU only e.g the intel chip and the RAM but not the SSD inside the Computer. That is bypassed. So the music is stored in the external SSD. Or you can do Roon etc ...
yes, ESS9018 is not the very good chip, but not a worst too:) and I like it, I think c.e.c. hardware make it sound in a right way too. Almost every brand now using ESS chips... will happy for not ESS dacs that not in a hight cost range

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #130 of 210
So for Your opinion and experience, is better get PTS instead of trying build something on the base of mini computer (NUC, Think Center tiny and so on), right?As power supply for my Auralic mini I use HDPlex, hope it will work good too.
Actually this is "The PTS is better than the expensive custom machine..." as You wrote, I'm looking for :)
Hope soon I'll get it a try....
BF and CM coming closer:) - may be here be a bit of luck get it for a less price:)
Note the PTS is only an i3 Computer, not adequate for heavy processing like upsampling or PCM to DSD. Building your own NUC or other fanless computer may cost same or less but can potentially be better, wifh morw CPU. I think there is a very similar NUC to the PTS. U can put the euphony loaded on a 2.5 SSD and install into the computer. Should work better than booting from USB/external drive. I am thinking of using the Hdplex PC and since u have the Hdplex LPS u may match it with a Hdplex PC.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #131 of 210
Note the PTS is only an i3 Computer, not adequate for heavy processing like upsampling or PCM to DSD. Building your own NUC or other fanless computer may cost same or less but can potentially be better, wifh morw CPU. I think there is a very similar NUC to the PTS. U can put the euphony loaded on a 2.5 SSD and install into the computer. Should work better than booting from USB/external drive. I am thinking of using the Hdplex PC and since u have the Hdplex LPS u may match it with a Hdplex PC.
OK, thank You - I'll check this options. Simply getting in mind that Euphony "know" what to do and put "right" staff - actually it hasn't low cost product...
Regarding upsampling - actually I'm not using upsampling because for my opinion it can't bring good results, but does Euphony can play a native DSD files?

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #132 of 210
Euphony PTS is indeed an i3, though I believe Arthur can get higher power versions if the customer really wants it (don't quote me on that though). It does have sufficient power to upsample to high-res PCM easily, and can to DSD64 without any trouble as well. DSD128 is doable but I wouldn't go to DSD256, the power just isn't there.

Native DSD files are actually quite simple if you just want to play them back. Think about it - even budget DAPs with relatively low powered ARM processors can typically play DSD without issue. The i3 in the PTS is vastly more potent than those. Also keep in mind Euphony has incredibly low overhead, so not a single CPU cycle is wasted.

Still, if you want to do heavy PCM upsampling to multiple zones at the same time, or crazy DSD512, you'll want to run a potent i7 or Xeon or the equivalent Ryzen chip. Handle that outboard with a powerful PC hiding in a closet somewhere, and use the Euphony PTS as an endpoint. Best of both worlds if you really want those upsampling/multi-room options.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #133 of 210
Euphony PTS is indeed an i3, though I believe Arthur can get higher power versions if the customer really wants it (don't quote me on that though). It does have sufficient power to upsample to high-res PCM easily, and can to DSD64 without any trouble as well. DSD128 is doable but I wouldn't go to DSD256, the power just isn't there.

Native DSD files are actually quite simple if you just want to play them back. Think about it - even budget DAPs with relatively low powered ARM processors can typically play DSD without issue. The i3 in the PTS is vastly more potent than those. Also keep in mind Euphony has incredibly low overhead, so not a single CPU cycle is wasted.

Still, if you want to do heavy PCM upsampling to multiple zones at the same time, or crazy DSD512, you'll want to run a potent i7 or Xeon or the equivalent Ryzen chip. Handle that outboard with a powerful PC hiding in a closet somewhere, and use the Euphony PTS as an endpoint. Best of both worlds if you really want those upsampling/multi-room options.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #134 of 210
I can play DSD256 flawlessly with euphony OS from a bootable external Samsung Sata drive and I am booting into macbook Air 2011. 4 G RAM. I don't know what gen the Intel chip it has. But I think it is i5. PCM upsampling is fine but PCM to DSD is not working well. DSD upsampling also does not work well. The Zotac Buggy from Europe is i5 7th gen though u can also get the same zotac PC separatelty and DIY by putting the Sata drive in.

Nov 19, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #135 of 210
I'm checking an idea to DIY with HDPLEX H3 V2 Fanless PC Chassis, it has many possibilities for motherboard, asked Larry which one will right for audio with Euphony.
But meanwhile I've got an Idea of using this configuration also for movie streaming instead of Popcorn that I'm using now, I know that here is not right place for asking this, but maybe some one know about existing software for this purpose? the question is if it'll be possible to use Euphony and video soft simultaneously...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back