Combo Review: Euphony PTS - Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - Keces P8
May 22, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #91 of 210
@ArthurPower , @project86:

So...I don't get the whole upsampling thing in Stylus. The Stylus software can upsample the sampling rate, it seems, but not the bitrate. For example, if I choose the option to upsample to 192K, I see this in the Stylus window: 16/44 --> 16/192.

Do you have to use HQPlayer (embedded) to upsample the bitrate in Stylus? For example, to get from 16/44 to 24/192?

Up-sampling uses HQPlayer which is not totally integrated just yet. It will be soon in a future update. To fully utilize HQPlayer you will also need to purchase a licence from them.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #92 of 210
Up-sampling uses HQPlayer which is not totally integrated just yet. It will be soon in a future update. To fully utilize HQPlayer you will also need to purchase a licence from them.

So, with HQPlayer embedded, I can upsample PCM to 384K and to DSD256 DoP without an issue.
However, I can't upsample PCM any higher than 384K without distortion. I assume that's a hardware limitation.
Also, I also can't upsample to any rate above 256 DoP or upsample to any rate of DSD native at all -- is that a limitation of the hardware or because I don't have a license from HQPlayer to do so?

May 22, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #93 of 210
Wow, I totally missed that feature! This whole time I thought it was just intended for compatibility, sort of like a variation of how Roon lets you set max sample rate that your DAC can handle. I never noticed it let you upsample as well. Interesting! EDIT - to clarify, this is for Stylus settings, not HQplayer, which I don't have a license for, nor do I have enabled.

Stylus.JPG

It appears you are right for 16/44.1 material. There is no setting for bit-depth, so I can go from 16/44.1 to 16/88.2 (I tend to prefer power of 2 or 4, at least conceptually), and the 16-bit part will remain. But for everything that is already 24-bit, it seems to bring it up to 32-bit, plus whatever sample rate change I've chosen.

stylus2.JPG

I have not yet had time to nail down to sonic implications of any of this.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #94 of 210
So, with HQPlayer embedded, I can upsample PCM to 384K and to DSD256 DoP without an issue.
However, I can't upsample PCM any higher than 384K without distortion. I assume that's a hardware limitation.
Also, I also can't upsample to any rate above 256 DoP or upsample to any rate of DSD native at all -- is that a limitation of the hardware or because I don't have a license from HQPlayer to do so?

Few DAC's can go above 384k so I'm sure that is a limitation of your hardware. Regarding DoP DSD512 and Native DSD support what hardware are you using?

May 23, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #95 of 210
Few DAC's can go above 384k so I'm sure that is a limitation of your hardware. Regarding DoP DSD512 and Native DSD support what hardware are you using?

You're probably right about the 384k limitation.

I am using a Singxer SU-1 to convert the USB signal from the euphony to I2S. The Singxer is connected to my DAC, a Holo Audio Spring, via I2S.

I know that both components can handle native DSD up to 512, so I assume that limitation comes from the euphony.

May 23, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #96 of 210
HQPlayer is now a fully integrated option in Euphony's Stylus music player.

You can use HQPlayer without any limitations for 20 minutes. Then it stops playing and you have to click start again. There are no limitations on sample rates. To remove the timer limitation you must purchase a license from HQPlayer.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #97 of 210
You're probably right about the 384k limitation.

I am using a Singxer SU-1 to convert the USB signal from the euphony to I2S. The Singxer is connected to my DAC, a Holo Audio Spring, via I2S.

I know that both components can handle native DSD up to 512, so I assume that limitation comes from the euphony.

Do you have the latest firmware for your SU-1? I recall they use to only support DoP DSD up to 256.

May 23, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #98 of 210
Do you have the latest firmware for your SU-1? I recall they use to only support DoP DSD up to 256.

You're right. I checked, and the Singxer does only support DoP up to DSD256.

I did install the updated Singxer firmware to allow native DSD512, but I think the Euphony can't handle this level of upsampling.

Arthur, you did a lot of testing with an i5-powered Euphony server. What were your findings with regards to upsampling to DSD native? What other equipment were you using?

May 23, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #99 of 210
You're right. I checked, and the Singxer does only support DoP up to DSD256.

I did install the updated Singxer firmware to allow native DSD512, but I think the Euphony can't handle this level of upsampling.

Arthur, you did a lot of testing with an i5-powered Euphony server. What were your findings with regards to upsampling to DSD native? What other equipment were you using?

Euphony can support any level of up-sampling that HQPlayer can support. The issue seems to be support in the Linux kernel for native DSD with the SU-1. This is someone we can add support for (in the kernel) so that the SU-1 is recognized as native DSD512 capable. Someone else though might already be working on adding native DSD support for the SU-1 in Linux. How long ago did Singxer release that firmware update?

Up-sampling to DSD256 requires a 7th gen or newer i5. Up-sampling to DSD512 requires a 7th gen or newer i7. The 8th gen Intel CPU's are really the best choice since they offer 6 cores. Euphony will reserve 2 cores for itself and HQPlayer will take the other 4 cores.

If you don't plan on using HQPlayer and up-sampling then a 6th gen or newer i3 is more then enough. That up-sampling requires some serious mathematical calculations!

May 23, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #100 of 210
Euphony can support any level of up-sampling that HQPlayer can support. The issue seems to be support in the Linux kernel for native DSD with the SU-1. This is someone we can add support for (in the kernel) so that the SU-1 is recognized as native DSD512 capable. Someone else though might already be working on adding native DSD support for the SU-1 in Linux. How long ago did Singxer release that firmware update?

Up-sampling to DSD256 requires a 7th gen or newer i5. Up-sampling to DSD512 requires a 7th gen or newer i7. The 8th gen Intel CPU's are really the best choice since they offer 6 cores. Euphony will reserve 2 cores for itself and HQPlayer will take the other 4 cores.

If you don't plan on using HQPlayer and up-sampling then a 6th gen or newer i3 is more then enough. That up-sampling requires some serious mathematical calculations!

I meant to say that the i3 Euphony PTS couldn't handle DSD512 upsampling, not the Euphony Stylus software itself.

Thanks for the info on hardware requirements for HQPlayer.

I'm not sure about Linux support for native DSD512 for the SU-1. I'll find out.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #102 of 210
So what does everyone think of this update to Euphony Stylus?

Personally I love it! I think it has taken Euphony to a whole new plateau, and the improvement is not subtle. To be honest, I am shocked that just software alone can make this much of an improvement. But I'm grateful because I got this entirely improved system for free, as there was no charge for the upgrade. I think that is just great customer service by Euphony.

To me, the music is so much more liquid and analogue sounding. I see why they call it 'Stylus' because it plays so analogue like a record, ha ha ha

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #104 of 210
So what does everyone think of this update to Euphony Stylus?

Personally I love it! I think it has taken Euphony to a whole new plateau, and the improvement is not subtle. To be honest, I am shocked that just software alone can make this much of an improvement. But I'm grateful because I got this entirely improved system for free, as there was no charge for the upgrade. I think that is just great customer service by Euphony.

To me, the music is so much more liquid and analogue sounding. I see why they call it 'Stylus' because it plays so analogue like a record, ha ha ha

This is definitely a great update. I'm still figuring out some of the new functionality. Still not the friendliest interface, though.

I have noticed an upgrade in sound quality, with our without the upsampling options. Unfortunately, my experience with the i3 processor in the Euphony PTS is that it can only upsample through HQPlayer up to DoP 256 before it poops out. In my opinion, sticking with PCM at 32/352 sounds better than using DSD over DoP.

I'm pretty happy with the software upgrade as-is for now. If Euphony releases an upgraded server option in the future beyond what the PTS can do, or if processor prices drop a bit so I can afford to build my own server, then I'll revisit that issue.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #105 of 210
I too think the SQ has improved subtly with the update to Stylus. Nothing drastic, no "night and day" hyperbole... but it does sound noticeably superior.

I actually use it more frequently now - before, I pretty much used Roon exclusively. Now I switch back and forth a lot.

Keep in mind, Roon is constantly improving too, with the latest 1.5 version bringing a nice increase in SQ. So the MPD - > Stylus upgrade seems to have been even more significant than the jump from Roon 1.4 to 1.5 - and that's not counting any tweaks like upsampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back