combo recommandations needed
Jul 4, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Just to be clear. There's nothing difficult about tube rolling.

Usually not from a physical standpoint (unplugging/plugging in), provided the tubes are easily accessible, such as on ASL or Singlepower amps, but unlike the X-Cans series.

By 'difficulty' I mean that things like determining/finding compatible tube types, choosing tubes to suit your desired sound, determining whether they are in good shape or not (tube tester?), matched sets or not (if applicable), not to mention the potential high cost of NOS tubes (again, if desired), or simply replacing tubes over (an undetermined amount of) time.

Many members here have done alot of legwork to help out in these areas for some of the common amps (MG Head, in particular). But all these things may not be what a new buyer wishes to deal with.

I personally agree that rolling is an advantage, but only if you go in with both eyes open, and are willing to deal with all of these things. That's all.

Yes, tubes are good.

Jul 4, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #17 of 26
I agree with what you've said Jpelg. The problem I have is that some headfiers have seem to suggest that tube rolling can be a daunting task. That is not the case with most recommended amps. The decision simply comes down to whether you want tubes or not. And if you want tubes in your amp, then tube rolling is a definate advantage.

Jul 4, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #18 of 26
I would add Ray Samuels' Emmeline HR-2 to your list. This is an amp you will not outgrow as you improve your source. Also it's quality is second to none. By changing 2 op amps you can also tailor the sound to your liking. When you get it it will be burned in and ready for immediate enjoyment.

Jul 5, 2003 at 7:05 PM Post #19 of 26
Are you considering upgrading your source? I think that it may be a limiting factor here. I haven't heard the Sony Discman D-311 and it might be a giant killer, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

From the reviews that I have read headamps in the price range some have suggested here may not be appropriate without a source upgrade. IMO you should give strong consideration to whether or not your source is up to an $800+ amp. You might be better off purchasing an amp that doesn't cost as much and getting a new source.

There are some great choices in the $200-$350 range. I've owned a tuberolled ASL MG Head and Senn. HD580/Cardas cans combo. I listen to quite a bit of classical music and thought this amp was a very fine performer. Tuberolling wasn't difficult just a little time-consuming tracking down the "good" tubes. In all the total cost was ~$350. Head-Fi members have also given high praises to the Meta42 and Musical Fidelity X-Cans amps.

Jul 5, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #20 of 26
I prefer tubes, but another disadvantage for a noob is microphonics and reliability. It's a bummer getting microphonic NOS tubes, and tube amps are not quite as reliable as SS.

A decent cdp and amp can be had for the price of a prehead.

Jul 6, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #21 of 26
Most problems with NOS tubes can be avoided by buying from a reputable dealer like Kevin at upscaleaudio.com or Ned at triodeelectronics.com. I've bought tubes from both of these gentlemen and they were both very helpful over the phone and do extensive testing on their tubes ahead of time. The only disadvantage is price they are a little bit more expensive.

Jul 13, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #22 of 26
Sony Discman D-311/Singlepower MPX3/cardas cable/HD 600

I will try to get some of the combo components these days.

Thanks to the head folks for all the entries to my posts !

Extra thanks are dedicated to tom hankins, Tuberoller(Fred) & FCJ (Frank), they are truely nice guys and do great help for me.

600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Jul 13, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #23 of 26
i agree with jpelg and find tuberolling to be a gigantic pain in the ass. nos tubes are a bitch to get a hold of, and then make sure they don't break in shipping, and finding a price that isn't pulling your pants down..

then do i leave the amp on all the time, do i shut it off. tube amps need warmup time to sound optimal, while solidstates can just be left on all the time.. it can get annoying.

"getting the right sound" generally means spending stupid amounts of money on ebay, and i'm just not into that. i sold my zotl because i really didn't want to spend the time to try and find the "perfect tubes" for my setup, because i knew it would take me a few hundred dollars to do so. i'd rather buy more music or a better source or SOMETHING that's going to be a guaranteed plus.

oh and running a $500 amp from a discman is incredibly stupid. get a meta42 and a source that doesn't suck ass first and i think you'll enjoy your system a lot more than a tubed amplifier.

also, i'm not totally sold on the singlepower's case designs.. i'm sure it's very cost-effective, but if i was shelling out $500 for something i'd prefer something in a more standard and less-flimsy case. just me though.

Jul 13, 2003 at 11:45 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
also, i'm not totally sold on the singlepower's case designs.. i'm sure it's very cost-effective, but if i was shelling out $500 for something i'd prefer something in a more standard and less-flimsy case. just me though.

Just because it's not standard (i.e. looks like everything else out there) doesn't make it "flimsy," especially the production units.

Jul 13, 2003 at 12:17 PM Post #25 of 26
Ditto, Also as far the tubes go, one set of VT-231's and you will probably never look any farther. Enjoy what your getting.

Jul 13, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #26 of 26
I'll second the XCans for under 300 US.

I have the V2, it matches up real nice with the Senn 600/580 & 590. You can upgrade the power supply for about $15 that will improve the bottom end. If you actually get one, I'll be happy to send you the info on the power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back