Colorfly CK4, finally some competition for the HifiMan 60X ?
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #91 of 268

Quote:

Looks exactly like a Rockchip to me...a low-res, out-of-the-box UI from the RK2806 or possibly RK2728.  Makes other RK-based players look like iPods or Cowons. 

Are you sure? The housing surely looks like one of those 2009-2010 Rockchip players, but I thought that it was not possible for Rockchips to play hi-rez music. Also I believe that I read somewhere that Colorfly has its own processor chip, or at least a spezial edition from some chip manufacturer.

To me it is not that important. The only advantage for a Sigmatel could be that Rockbox is easier to port. On the other side, the massive video codec support could be a hint to Rockchip.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #92 of 268
It is said to be Rockchip, according to some serious guy who is friend of a Rockchip engineer that co-designed the C4 with ColorFly - just something I read from a hardware forum, no proof or anything like that, but does it really matters?

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #93 of 268
The UI is plain jane Rockchip, for sure.

Quote:
but does it really matters?

Not at all, except when a company disguises off-the-shelf components to add some sort of "high end" cache to their product.  For example, I have trouble believing that Colorfly and Rockchip "codesigned" (as you say) the processor.  Really?  So Colorfly can custom design a system processor and then have that design fabricated for their exclusive use?  That's quite an accomplishment. 

Wouldn't it be better to say that Colorly asked Rockchip to add some lines of code to the instructions of an existing processor?  I have trouble believing even that since Rockchip has a hard-won reputation for lousy customer service.  All those deeply ingrained bugs on any given RK device isn't the manufacturer (Teclast/Nationite/Pasen/Oppo/Window/et al.), it's Rockchip.

And what of these magical "C4" amplifier and "Colorfly SPU" chips?  It seems the Colorfly does video, so the "SPU" could be something like the Rockchip RK1000 to handle TV-out function.  The C4?  Who knows...Maxim?      

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #94 of 268

Quote:
The UI is plain jane Rockchip, for sure.

Not at all, except when a company disguises off-the-shelf components to add some sort of "high end" cache to their product.  For example, I have trouble believing that Colorfly and Rockchip "codesigned" (as you say) the processor.  Really?  So Colorfly can custom design a system processor and then have that design fabricated for their exclusive use?  That's quite an accomplishment. 

Wouldn't it be better to say that Colorly asked Rockchip to add some lines of code to the instructions of an existing processor?  I have trouble believing even that since Rockchip has a hard-won reputation for lousy customer service.  All those deeply ingrained bugs on any given RK device isn't the manufacturer (Teclast/Nationite/Pasen/Oppo/Window/et al.), it's Rockchip.

And what of these magical "C4" amplifier and "Colorfly SPU" chips?  It seems the Colorfly does video, so the "SPU" could be something like the Rockchip RK1000 to handle TV-out function.  The C4?  Who knows...Maxim?      

I think you mistaken what I mean by 'co-design' (and by 'C4', I mean the whole DAP) - it is very common place for DAP maker to ask Chip provider to customize the standard solution they have to fit the DAP maker needs. Usually it is accomplished by the DAP maker sending its own tech people to the Chip provider company with full design spec, then the DAP maker engineer will customize their standard design with the DAP maker's tech and together they come up with a PCB design. Then the Chip provider will makes the PCB with only the basic controller chip (and its associated components) soldered, send the half finished PCB to the DAP maker so it can finish soldering the rest of the components itself - that's how the 'co-design' works and it is a very common industry practice that is not limited to Rockchip, but almost all other Chip solution provider as well.

Also, remarking chip isn't something new in the electronic industry - it is done so in order to protect the design against clone and it has been a practice for a long time, way before China is ever big in electronic or Colorfly comes to existence. Just because most people do not know about it doesn't mean the industry isn't like that before.

As for firmware - whether Rockchip or ColorFly can come up with something half decent is another matters on its own. If they can make a cheap part works like wonder, all the better for them; but if they use the most expensive chip around and still have a cr*p firmware inside, what's the point? It is the overall performance of the product we are buying, not individual parts.

Mar 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #95 of 268
Still waiting for the 16G version...

EDIT: I could not wait and gave out the CK4 money for a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1s. It was just too tempting... I feel bad :frowning2:

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #97 of 268

Quote:
I'll have to say TLDR, but according to Soomal the screen is not a touchscreen.

You did not miss much. Actually we were discussing the Soomal review, but that review was made with a prototype version, which is not the released version. Alltogether there are three versions. The prototype, the lower version with 8gb storage and the higher version with 16gb storage. The prototype version was reviewed. The lower version was released. Right now we expect the higher version to be released soon, which I assume will be identical to the prototype.

Prototype sounds better than the lower released version.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #98 of 268

Quote:

Prototype sounds better than the lower released version.

I am not surprised. A prototype, especially one that is to be reviewed, are logically better engineered than the final mass-market version. The goal is to build up some reputation and basically incite initial sales.
If Colorfly can bring this down to the T51 (S:flo2) price, that'll be a bombshell. Although I am always skeptical on Chinese electronics' firmware...

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #101 of 268
I am looking to buy the Colorfly CK4 as it will suit my needs adequately.  Problem is the place to buy online doesn't support English and my Chinese is very very limited.  Need help in this regard.  Only place to buy seems to be a site labeled taobao.com

Since I have a very limited Chinese reading vocabulary, I need help in securing one for review for everybody here at Head-fi.org. 

Help anybody

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #102 of 268

Quote:
I am looking to buy the Colorfly CK4 as it will suit my needs adequately.  Problem is the place to buy online doesn't support English and my Chinese is very very limited.  Need help in this regard.  Only place to buy seems to be a site labeled taobao.com

Since I have a very limited Chinese reading vocabulary, I need help in securing one for review for everybody here at Head-fi.org. 

Help anybody

The CK4 is listed on Jaben, but I do not know how to buy from there: http://www.jaben.com.hk/ProductView.asp?ID=472&SortID=250

I am not sure if this works, but you can try this: http://buyfromtaobao.com/

EDIT: This could also help: http://taobaofieldguide.com/how-to-buy-from-taobao/how-to-buy-from-taobao

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #104 of 268
Some Japanese posted initial reviews of CK4 (8GB) on forum, their blogs or twitter like:

- Sounds are as well or better than T51, and lean on treble side.
- It's larger than T51, so a little harder to be stacked on portable amps.
- Usability is low. No touch screen, scattered buttons, non user-friendly and unstable system software. And you can't use the screen vertically.
- Lineout level is not fixed: Level can be changed by volume buttons.
- Be careful about buttons: One user reported that if you pushed buttons too hard, they were disabled (Photo http://goo.gl/photos/TuFKvesU5s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back