Colorfly C4 or Ibasso dx100
Nov 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Poetic

100+ Head-Fier
How good is the colorfly c4? I recently just bought the Hisound Studio 3rd anniversary and for some reason it won't regonize any of my SD cards. Tried reinstalling the firmware, formatting fat32 exc. I've tried multiple SD cards and it still doesn't work. on the "External Source" It keeps showing music " no file". So im assuming theres something wrong with the SD card slot. Really this is unacceptable, This player has great sound but i can't keep buying SD cards if something randomly just gets corrupted for no reason. This player is made like a Brick and for some reason my SD cards will not show any music on the player. So im going to RMA this. i've never dropped it and always properly ejected. It recognizes the SD card, but no music will show :frowning2:. So i need a new DAP. or maybe A DAC. I was looking into the IBasso Dx100, or the coloflry C4. Also can the Colorfly C4 drive my hifiman he-400 and akgq701... without an external amp. I also have He-500 on the way. Someone suggested teh colofly is that a good choice :)

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 18
Go for the ibasso. More power, more options/inputs, better UI. Supports a lot more formats and not limited to WAV in 24 bit. I'm not sure if this is the same for 16 bit on the Colorfly as well. Tag support and album art.

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 18
i disagree....

Colorfly is better to me.

Colorfly songs are more coloured compared to DX100. 

The gd thing about DX100 is it can shuffle songs and has bigger capacity and smaller size than the C4.

DX100 has constant improvements but have no idea how much improvements are there.

C4 is good in its batt life compared to DX100 and is more stable i feel.

the bad thing about C4 is its size and the wood at the back. there is possibility that the wood might discolour and stuff like that although i have not experienced it until now.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
i disagree....

Colorfly is better to me.

Colorfly songs are more coloured compared to DX100. 

The gd thing about DX100 is it can shuffle songs and has bigger capacity and smaller size than the C4.

DX100 has constant improvements but have no idea how much improvements are there.

C4 is good in its batt life compared to DX100 and is more stable i feel.

the bad thing about C4 is its size and the wood at the back. there is possibility that the wood might discolour and stuff like that although i have not experienced it until now.

The improvements are enough to be at lest comparable to my Desktop rig. Before 1.2.7 it wasn't comparable at all. Now its at least got a fighting chance. Mind you this is in reference to my DACport LX and Triad L3. Still I find the Desktop rig  a noticeable upgrade but I still find them comparable at least in terms of sound quality.

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

The improvements are enough to be at lest comparable to my Desktop rig. Before 1.2.7 it wasn't comparable at all. Now its at least got a fighting chance. Mind you this is in reference to my DACport LX and Triad L3. Still I find the Desktop rig  a noticeable upgrade but I still find them comparable at least in terms of sound quality.

i have not tried the latest update...i do see its improving but as compared to the C4 i feel its still far...

Dx100 can be used as a DAC easily but as a portable player i didnt like it...just my feelings though...

its warmer but clarity is still there

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

i have not tried the latest update...i do see its improving but as compared to the C4 i feel its still far...

Dx100 can be used as a DAC easily but as a portable player i didnt like it...just my feelings though...

its warmer but clarity is still there

Well that's the thing. You haven't tried the latest update. What firmware did you actually try the unit on? Up until it hit 1.1.7 it just wasn't worth owning. At 1.1.7 it was extremely good. Then 1.2.7 took it to another level. To even say that it can compare to my desktop rig is saying a lot. With the latest update you get clarity, deep and impactful bass (lots of texture). A very 3D sound stage (organic sound). Everything just compliments each other so well and makes each frequency stick out. I'd like to hear the C4 myself but I still have my doubts it will be better than the DX100 :). If anything I think the 901 is really it's competition at this point and even that has yet to be seen.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 18
i have definitely tried the 1.1.7 version but still weaker than the C4 to me though...

i didnt like 901 as i felt the player heats extremely fast as if i can cook an egg on it and i prefer cowon over it due to its batt life and EQ

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 18
I also find on 1.2.7 the sound is more warmer than previously. That seems to be your cup of tea. I actually prefer using the LO with my T1 to make it more transparent and balanced. Bass still goes just as low but a little less warmth with the T1 which I prefer.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
I also find on 1.2.7 the sound is more warmer than previously. That seems to be your cup of tea. I actually prefer using the LO with my T1 to make it more transparent and balanced. Bass still goes just as low but a little less warmth with the T1 which I prefer.

May I know which is the better choice between DX100 and C4 if my expectation is on wider sound stage/3D imaging and clear vocal/instrument separation?
Do you think either one of them will be a huge upgrade for the Colorfly C3 ?

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

May I know which is the better choice between DX100 and C4 if my expectation is on wider sound stage/3D imaging and clear vocal/instrument separation?
Do you think either one of them will be a huge upgrade for the Colorfly C3 ?

At least from what I've heard from a friend the C4 has a very wide sound stage and is a warmer sounding player. The DX100 has a big sound stage as well but it is a thicker sound. Overall the DX100 is the more detailed player if you are after the most detailed experience while the C4 focuses more on musicality than detail.

May 22, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 18
Late to this party but should be repeated. I own the Ibasso DX100 and what sold it for me was that it supports 24 bit FLAC. There are alot of hi-res sites, especially the free files like archive.org that record in that format as opposed to WAV. That and the smaller files of FLAC. Until the Colorfly C4 supports 24 bit FLAC, it really is a no-brainer to me as to my choice between the two.

May 27, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 18
IMHO buy the Colorfly because I heard the dx100 & TBH it sounded to me like an ipod with an average Amp.
There's people suggesting U buy the dx100 simply because they haven't heard a C4 Pro with a decent pair of cans & in answer to another question make sure to use the 6" big headphone output socket even using an adapter mini headphone to full headphone = trust me the C4 can drive anything U will ever try it with so it's a NO BRAINER M8 = get the C4 & join true high quality sound :wink:

My 2 cents worth here in a mad thread :wink:

Cheers J.

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 18
IMHO go for Colorfly C4, i am in the same position as you a few months back. End up with the C4, and nv regret choosing it. Other then the part where C4 could not have playlist and there is no frequent update. interm of sound and built quailty. i would think C4 is better. It seem to bit abit bright for the starting, but eventually you will start to like it and sound even better after burn in for some time.

But anyway every people have different taste of sounding, so best is you go and have a try!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back