ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!!
Jul 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #61 of 172
about the connect and detection of Colorfly 4 with PC System...if you have more than 5 HDD and 1 DVD, sometime the C4 can't detected by OP. I tested with Windows 7 at my home PC ( I have 8 HDD) The Letter J and K are not occupied by my hard drives and CD-ROM, so I have no Problem.  

This is kind of the issues I get with my C4 if trying to use it on our house server = Now & then it plays up but being honest the server is overloaded with HDD's so I just deal with that issue & as I already said too if you get a 64gb microSDXC Card formatted into FAT32 & use that through a card reader as I do then I don't really get any hassle as it's the 64gb card that I mostly use as it stores my Flacs whereas the C4's internal flash stores only 320kbp's Mp3's so I barely change the Mp3's but do change my Flacs storage now & then so roll on price drops on 128gb microSDXC's I say :)

I can't really add or suggest anything more than what's already been done so without success to this poor guy's bad bad luck regards his C4 not wanting to work on his PC but yet it does work on his sons Alienware Laptop = As mentioned before that certain PC problems remain unfixed & unexplained mysteries :frowning2: & that to me is the annoying part, the not knowing cause it boils my blood when a PC problem defeats me :frowning2:
Right now I have a major problem unrelated but pretty serious to me as it concerns my house server's Music HDD that is connected straight to the router USB & all of a sudden my living room & bedroom streamers can't even see it NM play music from it LOL Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
PC's were put on this earth to drive us Network Admin's mad, I swear they have a mind of their own & just laugh at us :)

Well as for the C4 & Macs I heard sometimes they can play up with them a lot lot more than they ever do with a windows PC that's for sure :frowning2:
Well good luck to everyone with their separate problems now its time for Mr Hammer to meet Mr Readyshare here's LOL.
Take care all, but don't give up on your C4's as I have mine now plugged into my HiFi while I fault find my Music streaming/ network big problem :wink:

Cheers J.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #62 of 172
Hmmmm....I really hope that the Mac issue is addressed...The C4 to me simply sounds too good for OS compatibility issues to restrict or restrain it from really wide spread use...

In a way, it is an upgrade from an iPod, and well you know, an iPod is an Apple product too, so ensuring that the transition is seamless could be kind of pivotal for mass market acceptance...yes I know lots of people use ITunes on Windows...but still...

I don't know about Head Fi'ers and Audiophiles in general, it would be interesting to find out, but almost everyone I know has made the switch to Mac....

Maybe it is just the types I hang around with, or my generation...but it isn't like Mac users can be marginalised anymore...I work in a primarily UNIX or Linux based environment...yet for personal use, pretty much all of my colleagues have a Mac...

To be fair, I didn't even have a Windows partition when I first got my C4, so if I hadn't have thought of using the Micro SD only, it would have just been a very nice looking sculpture as I would not have been able to get any music onto it....

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #63 of 172
Nope. I'm sticking with Windows Vespertine :wink:. I don't like being controlled. I agree Mac has it's own perks due to being in that closed garden. But it's not my cup of tea.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #65 of 172
Quote:
I'll definitely switch from ThinkPad to MacBook if they could work their magic for the creation of a hybrid OS X + iOS 7 device like this:

And that's still a little bit cheaper than Tera-Player at the moment, LOL

oh02cPH.jpg

Just imagine the flexibility of trying different DAC options with both OS X and iOS installed on the same device.

I wonder if that were software-related or hardware-related (e.g. not enough power etc.) issues.

For the former one, you could try live USB with Linux

http://odinhg.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/boot-linux-mint-on-a-macbook-live-usb/

For the latter one, what if we add something like a powered USB hub between your Mac and C4 Pro or swap the USB cable?

The great thing is that I am using the same hardware on my Macbook Pro, I simply have a Windows partition with Windows 7 on it. I am using the Colorfly gold USB cable, it is all good on the Windows partition, never a problem at all, but it is on the Mac. So it has to be the OS or Firmware, or possibly drivers.

It actually isn't bothering me at all, as I can do what I want, and I have loads of full Micro SD with me anyway and this is the main way I swap stuff out on the fly. Kind of reminds me of mini disk, just a lot smaller. 

I strongly suspect that Colorfly will get ZERO help from Apple with regards to making a better MP3 player than the iPod work with their Operating System however.

It might even be machine coded to do exactly this, detect anything that isn't an iPod and eject it.

I am sure other DAPs work on Macs though, perhaps I am wrong.

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #66 of 172
Quote:
Nope. I'm sticking with Windows Vespertine :wink:. I don't like being controlled. I agree Mac has it's own perks due to being in that closed garden. But it's not my cup of tea.

Totally, they have you by the balls man, without a doubt. I even know I am brainwashed and STILL buy their kit...ALL THE TIME!

These adverts will NOT affect me...

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #67 of 172
Does the C4  feature variable vol. for LO?

I've had the Colorfly CK4 DAP for a few years. It has VARIABLE vol. for LO. I think vol. is controlled INSIDE the Cirrus DAC chip. 

I used to operate LO with vol. at max. That's what's normally suggested. Then, I began experimenting and found that SQ improved SIGNIFICANTLY (for most subjective perceptions) when I reduced LO vol. I finally settled on about 2/3 (66%). That forces me to use the FULL range of my external headphone amp. 

Not sure why lower LO level works better? Is the UPPER level of the headphone amp's own volume control more linear -- hence, operating over ITS top range leads to better SQ? Or is it something internal to the CK4 ...e.g., lower V_out (level) from the DAC is somehow cleaner, so the output op-amp performs better. Or is it that the DAC-to-opamp "impedance-match" is better? 

I haven't tried the CK4's LO with a std. "home" pre-amp, so maybe those will perform differently. For all the headphone amps I own, however, lower LO vol. is best.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #69 of 172
???

I have every Mac under the sun, plus a mac book pro with a windows partition...

Did you solve the Mac problems, if so how? Nothing to do with the fact that I have a partition....

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #70 of 172
Does the C4  feature variable vol. for LO?

I've had the Colorfly CK4 DAP for a few years. It has VARIABLE vol. for LO. I think vol. is controlled INSIDE the Cirrus DAC chip. 

I used to operate LO with vol. at max. That's what's normally suggested. Then, I began experimenting and found that SQ improved SIGNIFICANTLY (for most subjective perceptions) when I reduced LO vol. I finally settled on about 2/3 (66%). That forces me to use the FULL range of my external headphone amp. 

Not sure why lower LO level works better? Is the UPPER level of the headphone amp's own volume control more linear -- hence, operating over ITS top range leads to better SQ? Or is it something internal to the CK4 ...e.g., lower V_out (level) from the DAC is somehow cleaner, so the output op-amp performs better. Or is it that the DAC-to-opamp "impedance-match" is better? 

I haven't tried the CK4's LO with a std. "home" pre-amp, so maybe those will perform differently. For all the headphone amps I own, however, lower LO vol. is best.

Well it's generally an accepted rule when using a portable player that it's best to set it's volume level to roughly 66% or on certain devices set it at 75% As for the C4 = I find it gives me more than enough volume for portable use so I only ever use a headphone Amp paired with it if I'm in a Heavy Bass mood & then I have its volume at roughly 66% using the Original & still the best little McCoy amp with it's Bass Boost button switched on off course & then pared with the overear Big Beats Studio's you can rattle your Skull with as much Bass as you'll ever need :)
If I'm wanting nice clear sound but loud then the C4 is IMHO loud enough...
If I'm tapping into my Hi-Fi's sound then I just use a headphone amp (my NuForce Icon Mobile) which is a very underestimated little headphone amp for sure, hence why I'll never part with it & again I'll have my Hi-Fi's Pre-amp's volume about the aforementioned 66% volume :)

IMHO though the C4 if used via it's big 6” jack it gives plenty of volume so you should only need an amp with it if your hard of hearing or like me you sometimes love a massive bass hence why if in a Basshead mood out comes the little McCoy.

If like me you sometimes connect your C4 to your big Hi-Fi's then same again only 66% volume's required from your C4 using the 6” out jack or the digital coaxial lead too.

Hope this has helped any1 with plans for amps for their portable devices or if your planning on hooking up your portable to your big Hi-Fi's :wink:

Cheers John.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #71 of 172
Quote:
Well it's generally an accepted rule when using a portable player that it's best to set it's volume level to roughly 66% or on certain devices set it at 75% 

Do you have any solid references for this, as your remark is to new me? Indeed, as noted prev., the general "rule" I've seen most often for portable or other device with var. LO vol., is 100%. My reporting of the 66% "optimal" is based only on my CK4, and that was after a bit of subjective experimentation. I think the incentive to try LO below 100% was a post (AudioAsylum??) on the CS4398 DAC, as used in Colorfly.

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #72 of 172
Do you have any solid references for this, as your remark is to new me? Indeed, as noted prev., the general "rule" I've seen most often for portable or other device with var. LO vol., is 100%. My reporting of the 66% "optimal" is based only on my CK4, and that was after a bit of subjective experimentation. I think the incentive to try LO below 100% was a post (AudioAsylum??) on the CS4398 DAC, as used in Colorfly.

My Advice is based on an article I remember reading some time ago as for the where or the who actually wrote it escapes me as it was wrote so long ago that my old brain has no chance of remembering it TBH, I'm not using the timelapse as any excuse or anything far from it.
Let's just use a pre-amp's signal strength it sends to the power Amp as an example of what I'm meaning, as in its variable right? but send that same signal from a source to a power amp & its about 60+% & never 100%.
An Amp at %100 it's rated volume will distort more than 1 running at say60 or70 % of its max volume.
So my advice is based on my own findings never mind the old article I remember reading.
But if you seriously think running a variable output device into an amp with another volume sounds better than the figures I am just suggesting with variable 1 at 100% then good luck to you as you may even blow up device 2 in said chain TBH.
But if running your 1st variable volumed device at 100% volume in a 2 variable volumed set up works for you friend then feel free to do so, but IMHO I cannot believe it would sound clearer than my suggestion would.
But each to their own & all that as they say :wink:

Cheers J.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #73 of 172
In a way, changing LO volume is like EQing ... based on POTENTIAL hearing perception at diff. levels ... like "loudeness" freqs based on Fletcher-Munson. Being an illogical purist, I almost didn't buy the CK4 because of the non-defeatable LO vol. Now, I wish all my DAPs had it. E.g., in a fixed LO device like Teclast T-51/S:Flo 2--Nationite. Hmmm ...I suppose one could lower it in the T-51's -- which has relatively high LO --  by simultaneously lowering ALL bands in its EQ.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #74 of 172
Well I guess we're getting kind of sideways big style here regards the thread's topic & kind of hijacking the thread.
We can agree to disagree regards what's the best volume settings % wise when ever using a x2 or even more variable volumed set up all day long.

So sticking to just the C4 then IMHO if you added in a headphone Amplifier to it for use with your Headphone use (whatever headphones they may be from cheapish to the most expensive) = you would just really be wasting your cash on an unneeded extra since when using the C4's 6" adapter output (never use the smaller output as for god only knows what reason Colorfly made it sound like 2 cats fighting inside a trashcan TBH) it sounds loud enough on any cans & thx to it's superb DAC it sounds not only loud enough but also good enough to me that I'm even down on record as saying that I'd happily have payed twice it's retail price & IMHO still can't believe that such a quality sounding little box of magic can indeed sound so so good!!!

& no I don't work for Colorfly or am I being payed to say these things, I'm just a lover of clear sounding music that's all :wink:

Cheers J.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #75 of 172
Quote:
Well I guess we're getting kind of sideways big style here regards the thread's topic & kind of hijacking the thread.
We can agree to disagree regards what's the best volume settings % wise when ever using a x2 or even more variable volumed set up all day long.

So sticking to just the C4 then IMHO if you added in a headphone Amplifier to it for use with your Headphone use (whatever headphones they may be from cheapish to the most expensive) = you would just really be wasting your cash on an unneeded extra since when using the C4's 6" adapter output (never use the smaller output as for god only knows what reason Colorfly made it sound like 2 cats fighting inside a trashcan TBH) it sounds loud enough on any cans & thx to it's superb DAC it sounds not only loud enough but also good enough to me that I'm even down on record as saying that I'd happily have payed twice it's retail price & IMHO still can't believe that such a quality sounding little box of magic can indeed sound so so good!!!

& no I don't work for Colorfly or am I being payed to say these things, I'm just a lover of clear sounding music that's all
wink.gif

Cheers J.

Well said J...I still marvel at the sound that comes out of it compared to anything else I have that is portable. Tempted to get an AK120, but I am enjoying this so much. I too am totally puzzled as to why they made that 3.5m output sound so different. Why bother at all and just include a quality adapter..low profile with Colorfly on it. I just don't get why they made this fantastic bit of kit and had one of its outputs, output poor quality.

I have driven my BD 250ohm DT770's from it, highest I have ever had the volume but it was capable. 

I also wish Colorfly would tell you in the manual to use the 1/4inch with an adapter. Took me a while to find out why my IEM's sounded so tinny yet washed out. Maybe they do? I don't think so though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back