ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!!
Apr 12, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #16 of 172
Hi fellow Head Fiers. just joined Head-Fi, being a long time reader.

I bought a Colorfly C4 yesterday and have been using it ever since with my Westone 4R IEMs (31 Ohms). I use the 3.5mm port. The first thing that struck me is the distinct lack of bass !!! The sound has improved i guess (or maybe im just gettin used to it). The sound is very clear, mids quite full and forward and treble very clear. BUT WHERE IS THE BASS??? i can just notice the upper midbass which is fast and punchy but the lower bass is severely rolled off. I have been using my Westone 4Rs with my i9000 galaxy s (with Voodoo Sound mod) and there was more bass. I tried it with an iPod, guess wat? more bass !!! Was not expecting this from a dedicated high end player costing £500 !!! Does anyone have any clue to what I can do? The lack of bass is quite distracting especially in tracks with lots of rumble and I feel like killing myself now !!! I guess the sound might improve a little bit after few weeks of usage but i dont think the bass will magically appear out of nowhere ...

Any ideas or recommendations?
Use the bigger headphone socket with a half decent headphone 6--->3 adapter, As the C4 Pro gives more V's I believe through the bigger socket, so use that socket always, as TBH with you the little 3.5 socket's just crap IMHO & this replies coming to you from a C4 Die Hard Fan, As for the other question about baterry life after a few battery cycles = you will get the stated 6hrs of use give or take a few mins each way & Depending on how high a volume you use... Again every1 please use the bigger headphone socket with an adapter if needed as it Greatly Improves Volume & the sound quality in general TBH.
1 last thing is U can indeed use a 64gb MicroSD as I do, but U have 2 Format it to Fat32 & also most importantly make the card a Bootable drive & up files via a card reader & not through the device.

But to all those having crappy quality issues via the small 3.5 socket please just try my adapter suggestion = U will then get the Great C4 Pro's High Quality Sound, TRUST ME :)

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #17 of 172
The Samsung i9000 Galaxy S is not designed for such high-quality headphones like Westone 4R (32 ohms) Referencer: http://www.hifi-passion.de .The mobile phone has a very high altitude fall at the high tone range  and so you get the feeling that there is more bass, the quality over the whole frequency range is bad. Please follow the Suggestion to use the 6,3 mm jack port of Colorfly 4 to connect with your in ear Hp. 

May 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #18 of 172
Quote:
Use the bigger headphone socket with a half decent headphone 6--->3 adapter, As the C4 Pro gives more V's I believe through the bigger socket, so use that socket always, as TBH with you the little 3.5 socket's just crap IMHO & this replies coming to you from a C4 Die Hard Fan, As for the other question about baterry life after a few battery cycles = you will get the stated 6hrs of use give or take a few mins each way & Depending on how high a volume you use... Again every1 please use the bigger headphone socket with an adapter if needed as it Greatly Improves Volume & the sound quality in general TBH.
1 last thing is U can indeed use a 64gb MicroSD as I do, but U have 2 Format it to Fat32 & also most importantly make the card a Bootable drive & up files via a card reader & not through the device.

But to all those having crappy quality issues via the small 3.5 socket please just try my adapter suggestion = U will then get the Great C4 Pro's High Quality Sound, TRUST ME
smily_headphones1.gif

THANKS AGAIN FOR THIS!

MIGHT BE REWRITING A HEADPHONE REVIEW OR TWO! :)

PAY HEED EVERYONE!

May 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #22 of 172
Hmmmm....sounds reassuringly expensive so I want it...

Looks nice too!

I can't quite work out what it is called, is it this Oyaide audioquest SHARK ATL ?

What is up with the thread coming out of the 3.5 end?

Looks amazing!

May 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 172
please use winrar to unzip the Firmware file. You get an ISO Image, please copy the ISO Image  to the first position of internal Flash Memory (root)  

May 29, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #25 of 172
Hi, another new member but I have been following this site for a couple of months now. Just purchased the Colorfly C4 Pro and have not been able to download music to it as yet. I have Windows 7 with one 240gb SSD drive, two 1Tb internal drives and a Buffalo 1Tb usb drive. The C4 doesn't like to be down the mass storage chain. When first connected it came up as the K: drive but disappeared moments later from Explorer and the C4 went straight into charge mode. To try and resolve the issue, all drives except the boot drive were disabled in the device manager. This brought the C4 up to D: drive but alas it disappeared from Explorer straight away. I have been in the IT industry for 25 years and have spoken to the distributer here in Australia who has also managed to replicate the issue on his computer. In turn the distributer contacted the guys in Germany and there is no known fix at this stage.

In the interim the distributer suggested download music directly to a MicroSDHC which I will do. However, has anyone else had this behaviour and if so is there a way too remedy this problem?

May 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #26 of 172
Hi, another new member but I have been following this site for a couple of months now. Just purchased the Colorfly C4 Pro and have not been able to download music to it as yet. I have Windows 7 with one 240gb SSD drive, two 1Tb internal drives and a Buffalo 1Tb usb drive. The C4 doesn't like to be down the mass storage chain. When first connected it came up as the K: drive but disappeared moments later from Explorer and the C4 went straight into charge mode. To try and resolve the issue, all drives except the boot drive were disabled in the device manager. This brought the C4 up to D: drive but alas it disappeared from Explorer straight away. I have been in the IT industry for 25 years and have spoken to the distributer here in Australia who has also managed to replicate the issue on his computer. In turn the distributer contacted the guys in Germany and there is no known fix at this stage.

In the interim the distributer suggested download music directly to a MicroSDHC which I will do. However, has anyone else had this behaviour and if so is there a way too remedy this problem?

I myself am an ex System Admin & I'm honestly in shock at this issue...
My own home server pc is a bit prone to not seeing USB devices now & then so I know it can be very annoying etc... (My own house server runs the older vista business) & it often won't see an Ext Hard Drive or a USB Dongle etc... But weirdly it's never ever failed to see/ recognise the C4's internal flash drive & assign it a drive letter no problems.
All I do know is that it never see's my C4's 64gb MicroSD card as we know the C4 isn't supposed to be able to take a 64gb card but it can be done formatting it as a bootable fat32 drive but it'll only allow you to transfer stuff to it if you take it out the C4 & use a card reader... So if I forget & leave in my 64gb card windows always wants to fix the damaged 64gb card according to it due to the C4 reporting it wrongly...

Like yourself I've been in the pc game mega years but I don't get why your PC is doing this...
It only see's the C4's drive letter briefly then it disappears = All I can think is off hand but I'm sure you'll have tried a few different USB cables to rule out a faulty cable issue but as the EU arm of Colorfly have recreated the issue = very strange Indeeds & I'm at a loss for reasons as to why it's happening...
As a System Admin I'm very very interested in what could be causing your problem indeed.
I'm also sorry for you that it's happening as stuff like that can be so so annoying for people like us friend & I feel your pain/ curiosity as to the cause also.

Maybe your USB socket/ sockets are faulty ? But again you've most likely checked this.
Maybe a bad batch of C4's ? Is all I can honestly think of. I assume also that you've tried it on other PC's ? Or is it just the 1 PC it happens with ?

All the best.
Cheers J.
P.S. my C4 is way down the food chain on my home server it's usually drive R LOL.

May 31, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #27 of 172
about Colorfly C4 battery life time:
We offer a service to change the battery, if the capacity has not more than 60%. Change of battery costs 80 € + Transport fee.  
The battery is soldered and is fixed in the housing, with hot air, it can be solved. Battery Replacement therefore takes a longer time
Only certain silver solders are suitable so that there is no loss in quality of the music. The most time usually needed for extensive test. Customer should get the same sound experience as when buying new ones.

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #28 of 172
about Colorfly C4 battery life time:
We offer a service to change the battery, if the capacity has not more than 60%. Change of battery costs 80 € + Transport fee.  
The battery is soldered and is fixed in the housing, with hot air, it can be solved. Battery Replacement therefore takes a longer time

Only certain silver solders are suitable so that there is no loss in quality of the music. The most time usually needed for extensive test. Customer should get the same sound experience as when buying new ones.

Hi friend, good to see some 1 from Colorfly here that can help us end users out.
I have 2 questions for you I was hoping you know the answers to ?

1= How long are you finding the average C4 pro 32gb version's battery lasts for before getting to that %60 mark where it's best to get changed ? Or is it the usual it takes so many charges/ cycles ?

2= I use my C4 a lot, I mean an awful lot :), what I would like to ask you/ know is this ;
I have the C4 at a %100 full charge & then plug in my USB charger/ cable & proceed to then listen to the C4 that way a lot of times as I find it sounds better than most HiFi Headphone Amplifiers unless you spent above say £1,200 IMHO.
So me using it this way if my thinking is correct that since the C4 is already %100 charged that I won't be involving the battery & the C4 will simply run from its USB Charger that I use, is this correct ?
Or am I wasting my time & each time I do this = it counts as another charge/ cycle on the C4's battery ?

I would appreciate if you could answer or ask 1 of your colorfly friends if they know any of the answers I'm seeking to me 2 important questions friend :wink:

Cheers J.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #29 of 172
Thank you for your reply and suggestions. As you suspected all remedies you suggested had already been tried. Since posting I have upgraded my motherboard, cpu, memory, 32 bit to 64 bit windows 7. So it is now what you call a clean machine. Unfortunately, the C4 showed the same behaviour. My notebook which is Windows 8 Pro does recognise the C4 but intermittently gets booted off the drive chain during the copy process. I suspect that it has a dodgy usb port and has now been sent back to the distributer.

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #30 of 172
we start the sales of Colorfly C4 end of 2010. Up to now I got only one item back  in middle of 2012 with charging problem. When do you have only 60 % ... it is difficult to say, because the play time depense on the manner of using. For example when you often use the SRC funtion to increase the sampling rate, the power consumption will be much higher.  When you feel that the play time will be more and more shorter, you schould contact your vendor to change.  

Every time at charger and 100% capacity is not so good for battery live time. Let's work some hour without the charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back