ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!!
Nov 29, 2012 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 172

Jason36

500+ Head-Fier
So I took delivery of the Colorfly C4 today......and already I am having issues and problems with it. For all these individuals that knock Apple and having to use iTunes.....I must say that in 10 years of using varying Apple Products I have never had an issue with transfering files across, user interfaces or tracks not playing.

However of my two experiences with the Colorfly C3 and now C4 I'm afraid I cant say the same!!!

I am having major problem with it not recognising files and getting play issues.....

I am getting play errors with 16/44.1 files in WAV & FLAC and also 24/96 files in WAV. Why this is happening I do not know......My files have been converted from FLAC or ALAC using a paid for programme. Some of my 16/44.1 files play and others it will play one track and then give me error messages for the rest. None of my higher res files will play (these have been converted from FLAC to WAV).

I have tried to download the firmware upgrade and again having problems with this......it will download the zipped file but then wont extract it using jZip (however colorfly dont tell you what programme to use). It also tells you to transfer the file to the root directory...what root directory...when you have it connected to the USB it just shows as removable hardrive with no root directories.

I am really frustrated with this and this is now the C3 and C4 I have had problems with.....and at the moment just feel like selling the dam thing straight on and sticking with my modded iPod!!!!

someone please save my sanity!!

Also can anybody recommend a programme that will convert 24/96 flac files into WAV...that actually works. How do I convert a file that isnt supported by the C4 i.e. 24/88.6??

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 172
Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

The root menu is the actual drive letter it shows on your computer. So basically you just place the files straight on the SD card /internal not in a folder. That is the root menu.

I'm not sure why you're having these problems with both players now. I really don't know how to help you any further. I can only suggest using EAC and ripping fresh. or starting fresh, try a new microsd card. I just don't know mate sorry.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 172
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply.......I don't have an SD card at the moment so just using the internal memory.....I need to actually find a programme to extract the file because jZip won't unzip the firmware update.

As for the actual music......I have now transferred a number of files across to the C4 and they are playing......so it's just the Hi Res files that I need to sort out and will try and convert again.

Also as an aiside....when you transfer files across to the unit .....why doesn't it add the files in alphabetical order....and in some instances why does it muddle the track order around....does anybody know why this happens and how to sort it.....as I say Apple never messes the tracks listing up!

I am just getting really frustrated about using drag and copy file systems.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 172
Check out this post regarding your file order.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637417/colorfly-c3-appreciation-and-discussion-thread/15#post_8906043

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 172
To be honest mate this is all just to much of a P*****g faff........I really do not have the time or inclination to download half a dozen programmes to try and keep converting files and get them in order....just so that I have access to 24/96 music (when you probably wont be able to tell the difference).

Even that Copy in order you need to copy each album individually.

These people that knock Apple and its ease of use and functionality really must have too much time on their hands. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 172
I'm sorry to hear

When in Windows folder view, (Music for example) you can select several folders for transfer.

Click on one folder (it will highlight), find the next and while holding CTRL. highlight all the folders you want then they bunch together when you drag. (you must keep holding CTRL while you select the folders)

It seems your drag and drop bit rate experience isn't going to well. :xf_eek:

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 172
Hahah no its not.......but this is weird because I use Rockbox on my modded iPod and never have any problems with it messing with the album order or track order. It would seem that some of these other Players have a long way to go really in getting things to work properly........My experience is that when it copies the albums in order it messes up the track order on some files :frowning2:

I will persevere today and see how I get on. I am just converting all my hi Res files to 16/44.1 FLAC and I can always upsample on the C4. That should hopefully solve the play errors.

thanks for the input H2O....its greatly appreciated :)

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 172
Hello,

I just bought C4 and wanted to know how good or rather how bad is your C4 battery life ? My, after 3 full charges last no more than 3 hour :frowning2: Is this normal ? Or maybe my C4 battery is broken ? Does it matter what headphones (earphones) are attached ?

Jan 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 172
My C4 lasted 6-8 hours on a charge. As for music I converted all hires to single file wav in 24/48 with a cue file (one album in one file). This for me was the optimum compromise between sq and number of albums and also ensures gapless playback and no problem with track order. I loved the sound and whole user experience but despite that found that I reached for my iPod+amp rig more than the C4 so ended up selling it

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #10 of 172
Hi fellow Head Fiers. just joined Head-Fi, being a long time reader.

I bought a Colorfly C4 yesterday and have been using it ever since with my Westone 4R IEMs (31 Ohms). I use the 3.5mm port. The first thing that struck me is the distinct lack of bass !!! The sound has improved i guess (or maybe im just gettin used to it). The sound is very clear, mids quite full and forward and treble very clear. BUT WHERE IS THE BASS??? i can just notice the upper midbass which is fast and punchy but the lower bass is severely rolled off. I have been using my Westone 4Rs with my i9000 galaxy s (with Voodoo Sound mod) and there was more bass. I tried it with an iPod, guess wat? more bass !!! Was not expecting this from a dedicated high end player costing £500 !!! Does anyone have any clue to what I can do? The lack of bass is quite distracting especially in tracks with lots of rumble and I feel like killing myself now !!! I guess the sound might improve a little bit after few weeks of usage but i dont think the bass will magically appear out of nowhere ...

Any ideas or recommendations?

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 172
Quote:
Hi fellow Head Fiers. just joined Head-Fi, being a long time reader.

I bought a Colorfly C4 yesterday and have been using it ever since with my Westone 4R IEMs (31 Ohms). I use the 3.5mm port. The first thing that struck me is the distinct lack of bass !!! The sound has improved i guess (or maybe im just gettin used to it). The sound is very clear, mids quite full and forward and treble very clear. BUT WHERE IS THE BASS??? i can just notice the upper midbass which is fast and punchy but the lower bass is severely rolled off. I have been using my Westone 4Rs with my i9000 galaxy s (with Voodoo Sound mod) and there was more bass. I tried it with an iPod, guess wat? more bass !!! Was not expecting this from a dedicated high end player costing £500 !!! Does anyone have any clue to what I can do? The lack of bass is quite distracting especially in tracks with lots of rumble and I feel like killing myself now !!! I guess the sound might improve a little bit after few weeks of usage but i dont think the bass will magically appear out of nowhere ...

Any ideas or recommendations?

Hmm well I know the CK4 has rolled off bass. That seems to be a part of Colorfly's "House Sound". If it is not to your liking I really suggest you sell the C4 here on headfi and upgrade to an ibasso DX100 which is a reference DAP. You won't have bass roll off for sure! :).

Strange though I thought the Colorfly C4 was a bit warm sounding? Do you know the output impedance of the unit? If indeed it is not 1 ohm or much higher than that that could be the very reason you are getting the bass roll off. Since BA drivers will react randomly to high output impedance (rolled off treble, boosted treble, rolled off bass, boosted bass, etc).

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 172
I'm surprised there are not more suggestions of perfect/great matches of certain headphones to certain players and their particular technical or sound quality variations and charaters....? As the owner of a new Colorfly C4 I would love for someone to say something along the lines of.....this player is great for a.b. or c but you may want to use, (for example....) a closed back over ear headphone to enhance the lack of bass and a certain type of brand which has a certain sound signature would also help synergise with the strengths of that particular player......sort of thing.

I appreciate that you don't all own shops with loads of gear variations, but a great synergies of source and headphone combos would be a good idea I think....especially to newbies. Just a dream......maybe I should open a new thread along these lines?

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 172
Quote:
I'm surprised there are not more suggestions of perfect/great matches of certain headphones to certain players and their particular technical or sound quality variations and charaters....? As the owner of a new Colorfly C4 I would love for someone to say something along the lines of.....this player is great for a.b. or c but you may want to use, (for example....) a closed back over ear headphone to enhance the lack of bass and a certain type of brand which has a certain sound signature would also help synergise with the strengths of that particular player......sort of thing.

I appreciate that you don't all own shops with loads of gear variations, but a great synergies of source and headphone combos would be a good idea I think....especially to newbies. Just a dream......maybe I should open a new thread along these lines?

Hello! I am using Denon AH-D7100's with the 6.7mm cables. This combination is gorgeous, warm, and as much Bass as you can eat. The EQ settings on the C4 are brilliant, very finely tuned. Ok everyone calls things different things, but put it on Bass and you won't half know about it with these cans :) I like bass, but the bass setting is too much with these cans.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #14 of 172
Has anyone had a problem with using a MAC OS and the C4? Mine keeps ejecting itself after about three minutes. It is not the Mac either as I have lots of them and they all do it!

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #15 of 172
I red a conversation with some question about the Colorfly C4 and will give a short guide for FAQ. For each problem please contact us directly: support@colorful-europe.de

about root: 
connected via USB cable with PC or Mac the C4 works like USB stick. In computer file systems, the root directory is the first or top-most directory in a hierarchy. It can be likened to the root of a tree — the starting point where all branches originate. 
Copy the ISO image to the first position of root, mean that the firmware update ISO image should not copy into a new created file and that no other files, particularly internal MAC files block the first position. You get the ISO image update file after unzip using WINRAR for windows PC or other unzip tools.

about 64 GB SD card:
[size=11.0pt]64 GB is not approved by our R&D office, but there are some tricks so that you can read the music at Colorfly C4.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]Firstly format the SD card with standard FAT 32 as boot able device.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]Then copy with your PC (using SD card adapter by USB port at PC) the music content to SD card. [/size]
[size=11.0pt]Colorfly C4 can read the content from SD card. When you connect the Colorfly C4 via USB cable to PC, the SD card will not be detected at PC file manager. [/size][size=11.0pt]To copy, delete or take other operation on SD card you need SD card adapter and directly connection with PC system.  [/size]

about sorting:
During copy music files from PC, the Colorfly C4 (Pro) save the files at the same line he found at hard disc. When you add a new file to C4, the player shows files at the sequence of temporal storage without alphabetical sorting.

The file manager at your PC (MAC, Windows) shows the music files alphabetically, but in some cases there is a difference between showing and sequence at the storage. So you should sort at first. Make a new file an copy all your files at your favorite line in this new file. Then you can mark all your sorted files and copy to internal flash memory at one step. Because too much nerve-wracking work, I used mostly an additional 32 GB SD card. Before using SD card at C4(pro) I prepared all with most better comfort at PC. On the internal flash memory I copied only music title and can use the shuffle function without file limitation. (shuffle works only for music into same file).

Best result:
Please use a converting tool like Foobar2000, X-record or Wavelab7 to change the sorting and filter ID tags to prevent noise between songs, especially for 24 Bit WAV content with higher frequency 96 to 192 kHz. I know this is not up to date handling, but the result is incredible nice music.

Private:
I have a small collection of some middle end headphones ( 500 USD up to 650 USD), beyerdynamic T90 and Sennheiser HD600 to listen music at home and PSB M4U2 for outside (during train travel). But the best result you can get with Audeze LCD2 / LCD3 at home and beyerdynamic T5p for outside. The price are more than 1200 USD for these headphones. You can detect some differences in the dimension of the spatial sound between HD 600 and Audeze. However, the 5 % felt better sound would be bought with 50 % higher price. I'm not a musician or a music expert. My headphones match my acoustic capability, but the C4 is also suitable for experts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back