ColorFly C4 - Lots of Questions and Issues on Not Working!!!
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #122 of 172
One day i am going to try it, right now too poor :p honestly c4 seems to pair with all my gears. I guess it js matter if taste, after comparing it with ak120 the ak120 comes out in top on detail but paired with t5p the sound is just lean and non engaging. T5p with c4 is a great example of what a perfect synergy is all about.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #123 of 172
One day i am going to try it, right now too poor :p honestly c4 seems to pair with all my gears. I guess it js matter if taste, after comparing it with ak120 the ak120 comes out in top on detail but paired with t5p the sound is just lean and non engaging. T5p with c4 is a great example of what a perfect synergy is all about.

Well the synergy is there with HP50 but I'm intrigued by T5p and considering this for my best set up....Just how awesome, or not, are they.... like their greatest strength? Also, why is synergy so good with C4?

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #124 of 172
Another update, noticed anything less than 32 Ohm the bass quantity and quality drops substantially. This leaves me wondering that perhaps the 6.3 jack has an output impedance of 4 ohms or greater. 

Anyone has offically found out what is the output impedance of C4?

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #125 of 172
  Another update, noticed anything less than 32 Ohm the bass quantity and quality drops substantially. This leaves me wondering that perhaps the 6.3 jack has an output impedance of 4 ohms or greater. 

Anyone has offically found out what is the output impedance of C4?

Similar to C3 and CK4 (much worse on CK4) I'm gathering the player has low end roll off with low impedance loads.

Yup: http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Colorfly/tf10/data.htm

That's C4 measured with 32ohm TF10. 

And posts like this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/569148/i-just-bought-colorfly-c4/15#post_9149145

To be honest the amount of roll-off on C3 is acceptable (for my standards) though CK4 was really bad with some of my collection, I ended up amping it full time to cure the bass absence. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #126 of 172
Thank you, good find. That explains why it pairs good with IE800. 

I can say now that Ak120 is more neutral and more detailed, and sadly I learned my ears like coloration, which is a sad revelation to me. 

And from the result of the RMAA I guess the truth is what sounds good to your ear is what matters, objective results sadly is not the way to decide what sounds good. (Another sad revelation as I considered myself an objective guy).

I do not understand the bias I have towards C4, it has so many things going wrong with it based on the modern standard, yet I have not stopped using it ever since I have received it. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #127 of 172

I can say now that Ak120 is more neutral and more detailed, and sadly I learned my ears like coloration, which is a sad revelation to me. 

And from the result of the RMAA I guess the truth is what sounds good to your ear is what matters, objective results sadly is not the way to decide what sounds good. (Another sad revelation as I considered myself an objective guy).

I do not understand the bias I have towards C4, it has so many things going wrong with it based on the modern standard, yet I have not stopped using it ever since I have received it. 

Exactly, I can personally hear roll-off on Rocco BA, though when paired with 10ohm Dunu DN-1000  (which is rather bass heavy) they sound almost dead neutral lol. So don't look at it as a terrible thing, (although it's not good) use it to your advantage.
wink.gif

The CK4 unit I had rolled off extremely though, there was actually almost no bass presence with some pairings which effected your listening experience. For example: when a sub-bass drop was meant to hit in an EDM track there would be nothing, dead silence it was literally that bad so I opted for line out and kept an amp tied to it. You'll notice if you amp C4 the bass roll off will disappear. (I don't understand the technical explanations) You'd need to speak to someone like ClieOS.

Here's a good thread I created once when I was going through very similar to yourself.

Should explain a lot: http://www.head-fi.org/t/638611/question-about-mp3-players-with-roll-off

Be sure to read ClieOS posts in the link.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #128 of 172
Exactly, I can personally hear roll-off on Rocco BA, though when paired with Dunu DN-1000 (which is rather bass heavy) they sound almost dead neutral lol. So don't look at it as a terrible thing, (although it's not good) use it to your advantage. :wink:  

The CK4 unit I had rolled off extremely though, there was actually almost no bass presence with some pairings which effected your listening experience. For example: when a sub-bass drop was meant to hit in an EDM track there would be nothing, dead silence it was literally that bad so I opted for line out and kept an amp tied to it. You'll notice if you amp C4 the bass roll off will disappear. (I don't understand the technical explanations) You'd need to speak to someone like ClieOS.

Here's a good thread I created once when I was going through very similar to yourself.

Should explain a lot: http://www.head-fi.org/t/638611/question-about-mp3-players-with-roll-off

Be sure to read ClieOS posts in the link.

To be fair though....the CK4 is not in the same league as the C4 pro....

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #129 of 172

So what type of headphone do you think ak120 would pair well with, to bring it to life?

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #130 of 172
To be fair though....the CK4 is not in the same league as the C4 pro....

I'm not sure where I said that? We're talking about roll-off presence on colorflys players and audiophile DAPs in general. Which frequency are you on? :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #134 of 172
All top daps in general? Ok...well that's interesting, thank you.

I don't think I said "all" either. 
wink.gif
 Maybe have a read of the conversation, you might learn something about your precious C4 and how it behaves with low impedance loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back