Colorfly C4 in 2013/4 - still relevant?
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 81
I know but listening to stuff this in the UK before buying is impossible,
Drives me nuts.

The C4 is still for me easily the best looking DAP, that's a shallow point, but
I would imagine it feels great in the hand.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 81
audionewbi:
I had major issue with it playing my music on order

Clear this please. Playing songs not by order?
Or you meant playlists?

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #20 of 81
Only heard one briefly at a show, not ideal conditions.
I now have 601,901,dx90,dx50,studio and studio 3rd so trying not to buy anymore!

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 81
I'm currently using C4 paired with UE Pro18. Nice sound, but a drag that it doesn't support hi-res flac. Also, when listening to music from MicroSD cards, background noise can be heard during quiet moments and between tracks. It's also picking up noise from my iPhone. But before I bought it, compared to AK100 and C4 was the clear winner sound-wise.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #23 of 81
I'm currently using C4 paired with UE Pro18. Nice sound, but a drag that it doesn't support hi-res flac. Also, when listening to music from MicroSD cards, background noise can be heard during quiet moments and between tracks. It's also picking up noise from my iPhone. But before I bought it, compared to AK100 and C4 was the clear winner sound-wise.

I can confirm the noise when playing from microSD cards. I have the C4 for a few years now but I have never tried using the microSD till a couple of  days ago; what a disappointment...... 

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #26 of 81

Could you please elaborate a bit ?

Using a program like XLD you can combine all the files as one large files and than create a cue sheet which you use on C4 in order to navigate to different songs. This way you will fix the gapless issue and the static noise. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #27 of 81
Well, I have to say converting all hi-res flac files to WAV and/or preparing cue sheets to avoid the background noise are both time-consuming tasks. It's a drag that Colorfly can't get rid of these obvious problems with a firmware update.

However, I have to say that the Colorfly support in Germany was helpful when I had other problems, like songs not being copied in order and unwanted Mac OS files being copied along with the music files.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #28 of 81
It is an outdate device and it will certainly not have anymore future firmware releases. 
I kept it as it still sounds good and using XLD conversion of the certain special albums I like to listen on the C4 takes few minutes. I really doubt anyone is buying C4 these days. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #29 of 81
  Using a program like XLD you can combine all the files as one large files and than create a cue sheet which you use on C4 in order to navigate to different songs. This way you will fix the gapless issue and the static noise. 

Thanks. Still you forgot  a crucial piece of info , XLD  is MAC only.
For WIN I have tried Mediamonkey and  Xilisoft audio converter which do not do the conversion to one file but only the other way around . I have also tried Xrecode II which does what I need but when I try to paly the file on to the C4 it will cause the unit to reboot. Here are the steps maybe someone will notice something I've done wrong .
First convert flac->Wav with Jriver 19 than with xerecode I've used merge/cue option . Here I have tried with and without adding a 1 sec gap and the result is still the same.

My next on the list is EZ CD Audio Converter but I'll do that later on.

It is an outdate device and it will certainly not have anymore future firmware releases. 
I kept it as it still sounds good and using XLD conversion of the certain special albums I like to listen on the C4 takes few minutes. I really doubt anyone is buying C4 these days. 

Totally agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back