Colorfly C4 in 2013/4 - still relevant?
Feb 12, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #32 of 81
If I get a chance I will post some screen print over the weekend but if I remember correctly it was somewhere under the convert option.

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #33 of 81
Thanks.  I have fiddled with foobar some more now and I have found the feature but the problem is now it will not output a separate cue file . Some ppl say that for wav it is embedded but without it  will not work on the C4 .

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #34 of 81
For me it does maybe perhaps I did use a add on. I haven't used foobar in well over 2 years, need to check again but before my Mac days I used foobar for conversion.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #35 of 81
Getting this thread a little bit back on topic. Even today I am convinced the Colorfully C4 is a very relevant music player. I already owned the C3 for a couple of years and was very much impressed by the sound and build quality, using a serious DAC and amplifier part. After saving up some money I decided to step up to the C4 for a couple of reasons. First of all that the player is developed with one major focus: get hifi quality in a portable device. Where most other DAP's have multiple focus (UI, Design, Batterylife, Weight, Portability and Sound for example), the team that builded up the C4 had only one goal: sound as good as possible. I'm sure that approach is still very relevant today. Another reason is the combination of an excellent chipset with a unique technique to kill jitter and some serious op-amps. I know the quality of the Cirrus CS4398 because of the Marantz CD6005, which is my present player. It has a fabulous soundstage and a ultra high level of detail and I was thrilled to hear that such a high-end chipset was in the heart of this DAP. And, to under scribe this, the chipset is still very relevant today, used in the latest Marantz CD models. another function which is a real pro in comparison with other modern DAP's is the possibility to upgrade the sample rate of a song. And yes, you can hear the difference definitely. The sample rate converter (also a high standard component of Cirrus) makes it possible to upgrade native CD 44,1/16 WAV up to 192/24, taking away the typical cold analytic and harsh CD sound, turning it into a neutral analogue sound. Very relevant when you mention the revival of analogue sources as vinyl.

Finally I got my C4 about 3 weeks ago. I don't care so much for a burning-in schedule, I think the win you make is less then 1%. 99% had to come form how it sounds the very first time starting it up. And I can be short about that: It is HiFi, every second, every note, every song. Period. It makes completely no difference in sound if I have my AKG K550 headphones connected to my Marantz cd65005 /pm6005 cd-amp combination or in the C4 (without using the sample rate converter). The soundstage is tremendously in front and wide, details are incredible fast and correctly placed in the picture. The balance is perfect and with the src on 192/24 I even found myself more enjoying music for hours without one moment of irritation or exhaustion than my actual cd-amp combination. Really, my ears experienced a overwhelming neutral but slightly warm (guess it is because of the src's capability of taking away the cold and harsh cd-sound) sound that never got boring. I tested only 44,1/16 (with src on uprated to 192/24) and the quality was just amazing. All the records I tried are well known by me (ripped them for my own collection), but gave me the extra of uprated spacious warm HiFi. I especially liked records with a high dynamic range, like the Bartok piano concerts conducted by Pierre Boulez and the second Mahler symphony by Simon Rattle. Never is there the need to turn down the volume, the loud parts having no harsh edges at all, at the same time you are absolutely overwhelmed by powerful orchestra crescendo's. I know out of my own experience with other DAP's I was never able to hear these complete works without getting exhausted or turn it off once or twice while playing them. The C4 only let you beg for more. Relevant enough these days, where compressed and deformed audio seems to become the standard in both broadcasting as sold music. So, these are my impressions of the C4 today, feb 2015, about relevancy of this outstanding player. I can only say, buy one of you can, it might be relevant for decades of your musical experience to come.

Oh, and about the factors that were not in the main focus of the development team: UI-straightforward and good, Weight-doesn't easily slip out of your hands, so great, battery life-5 to 6 hours more than good enough for me, though I would love a battery life that last a lifetime!! and design, well when you find the best DAP ever, you want it to look unique, don't you :wink:

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #36 of 81
Thanks for your input, as much as I love my c4 but I disagree with the comment that c4 is still relevant.

First of c4 has been replace by L5P, made by the same designer, hence making c4 an older model. Second soundwise c4 1/8 inc and 1/4 both sound very different. The best sound is obtained from 1/4 inch jack and that too is not perfect. Few members end up modifying their c4 in order to fix the bass roll-off.

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #37 of 81
I do agree the C4 is an older model but in my opinion that doesn't necessarely makes it irrelevant totday. The architecture of the player is outstanding and fits perfectly in the high res content offered by most online stores as well does it come in hand when upgrading standard cd files. The bass roll of issue might have a lot to do with the headphone quality.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #38 of 81
Absolutely agree on the subject "bass rolloff" - my UE pro 18 never lack bass with the C4! Re hi-res, I must stress again that it's a drag flac hi-res isn't supported by the C4. WAV conversion is extra work and also takes up more space than flac I think, even more so with hi-res I would imagine, right??

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #39 of 81
Well, the WAV-format is not a backdrop for me, because I already used that format for a long time. Besides, using XLD I make a WAV/CUE in 3 minutes from a CD. Storage is no problem too with a 3TB hdd and 64Gig mini sd. About 20 to 30 records on my Colorfully is more than enough for quit a while. Using a card reader for the transfers and using Eject for Windows (Mac app) to get rid of the nasty Mac-files. Ordering the files is pretty easy when you make a temporary sub-folder in your music root folder on the sd card, drag all your music in it and then out again. Then your order is absolutely alphabetic. Not a lot of work and really I don't care that much, it's my hobby and only the sound counts

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #40 of 81
However transferring files to its internal memory is not as easy. It is both slow and unstable.

I wouldn't recommend C4 now days instead I will refer people to LP5 or the QA360.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #42 of 81
It is made by the same designers who made the C4. I don't own it but if you check the obscure Chinese dap thread you can see how it looks and there is a member who owns both the c4 and L5P.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #43 of 81
They finally posted this teaser and the successor should be available this year?

http://bbs.colorful.cn/portal.php?mod=view&aid=23

Many users of C4 were not exactly optimistic about it and their posts didn't seem to be all that positive

http://www.ejhifi.com/thread-73-1-1.html
http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=1781698
http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=1781699

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #45 of 81
Not exactly much to see. Read on another site (mp4nation) that the same Cirrus dac will be used, which is great. And the amazing good working volume slider from C4 is prolongued in the new X(?). Exciting! Enjoy the C4 intensively, these guys know a lot about what really matters, ultimate soundquality with no comprimise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back