Colorfly C4 HI-Fi Player
Oct 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
I just got the ColorFly c4 specs.

While it does support 24-bit/192 Wav. it doesn't go any higher than 16-bit for Flac.

I know that I could get just FooBar and another hard drive, and then convert all my Flac to Wav, but it's hard for me to justify spending $800 for a player that neglects what seems to be the de-facto standard format for hi-def digital sound..

Hopefully Colorfly will address this Flac limitation with a firmware upgrade in the near future.  

"Hopefully Colorfly will address this Flac limitation with a firmware upgrade in the near future" Very doubtful and not necessary. As far as I'm aware there are no players (portable) out there that can play hires FLAC files. The C4 has 'forced' me to look deeper into many things and ideas. Conclusion - the biggest single problem we all have is the poor qulity of original recordings and downloads in partricular. If you want to know how good a player really is then it's easy. Take your favourite CD - extract the files in WAV using EAC - these will be 16/44 - put the files on your player - and LISTEN. When I first got my C4 I got 'sucked' into wanting hi def - waste of time in most cases. A good recording in WAV 16/44 is, on the, C4 SUPERB and if you want then you can upsample anyway. Who do you think gains the most by using FLAC ?? Find this out and you might get a surprise.

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #19 of 26

Wait.......... what exactly is it you're saying... that WAV sounds better than FLAC...?

Hey ElCrazo, if you upsample to 24/192, then you have in practice extended the bandwidth from 20Hz-20kHz to 1Hz-96kHz.

HOWEVER... you are not hearing any of that information above 20kHz, since ALL IEM's roll-off usually around 16kHz... the solution is for you to get the BATPURE!!

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #20 of 26

Quote:

Wait.......... what exactly is it you're saying... that WAV sounds better than FLAC...?

Hey ElCrazo, if you upsample to 24/192, then you have in practice extended the bandwidth from 20Hz-20kHz to 1Hz-96kHz.

HOWEVER... you are not hearing any of that information above 20kHz, since ALL IEM's roll-off usually around 16kHz... the solution is for you to get the BATPURE!!

Yes, I understand all that but...........1. Yes I think Wav does sound better but you need good files and a high resolution 'system' to notice. 2. Not quite true, when I feed my C4 into a valve pre/power amp / custom speaker set-up which goes to about 28Khz. Besides, I have said in other posts I don't often find a need to upsamle. All I said is that you can if you want. Psychoacoustics play a big part in all IEMs' Do you really think they can go down to even 20Hz ? That's one of the things about the C4 - it has S/PDIF out. Since it can perform as a transport far better than most 'off the shelf' CD players that to me is a bonus. I also don't often use IEMs despite having far too many of the things. I just collect and compare. Prefer full size headphones.
Try this - download say a 24/96 FLAC file from HD Tracks and rip the same track from a CD in 16.44 WAV Compare the two, you might not hear a difference on your personal rig but I sure can and so do most of my audio nut friends.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
very interesting post.

So anyway... is the C4 the best colorfly or something, and how much does it cost, and which one is fake, and not fake? and what internals does it have? i.e. which DAC etc.? what's the difference between C4 and CK4? does it smell like Calvin Klein? What do you mean Teslars? LARS? You have T1 AND T5p? In another thread you said you have 80 IEM's, EIGHTY? What is the cable mod you did to your Teslars? I don't understand... I have a "Teslar" and would like to know about the "Colorfly" thank you Señor ElCrazo...

What is the cable mod you did to your Teslars? I don't understand    Almost all IEMs have three wire (common ground) the new Dennon 700s are one exception. So do most headphones and worse, some use the headband itself!! A simple mod is to use a 4 wire cable, Two wires to each driver improves most if not all of these. "is the C4 the best colorfly or something, and how much does it cost, and which one is fake, and not fake? and what internals does it have? i.e. which DAC etc".? Have a look at the Colorfly web site. You have T1 AND T5p T50s and 1350s  "what's the difference between C4 and CK4"? What's the difference between say a mini and a porche?

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
What is the cable mod you did to your Teslars? I don't understand    Almost all IEMs have three wire (common ground) the new Dennon 700s are one exception. So do most headphones and worse, some use the headband itself!! A simple mod is to use a 4 wire cable, Two wires to each driver improves most if not all of these. "is the C4 the best colorfly or something, and how much does it cost, and which one is fake, and not fake? and what internals does it have? i.e. which DAC etc".? Have a look at the Colorfly web site. You have T1 AND T5p T50s and 1350s  "what's the difference between C4 and CK4"? What's the difference between say a mini and a porche?

[size=medium]Build:[/size]
[size=medium]Cheaper and flimsier than the 50s—they were much easier to reassemble.[/size]
[size=medium]Damping pad fitted to T1350s , to compensate for thinner housing.[/size]

[size=medium]Wiring:[/size]
[size=medium]The pictures speak for themselves.[/size]
[size=medium]Different wire than the 50s, but still 3 instead of 4 conductors (Common Ground).[/size]

[size=medium]One sided cable quite bad enough—look at how much extra wire is in the way of one side as opposed to the other.[/size]
[size=medium]But worse there is a small circuit board glued inside the right housing, to terminate the three cables.[/size]

[size=medium]So you have the left drive unit with an extra 55cm of cable (yes that’s 36.6% extra), and the right housing has a circuit board glued to it, which decreases the volume of the “Speaker”, and changes the resonant properties of the housing.[/size]
[size=12pt]In other words two different “experiences” for each ear[/size]

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #24 of 26

Quote:

I'm confused... are you saying the CD rip in 16/44.1 WAV sounds better than the 24/96 FLAC download?

and yes, I think IEM's go down to 20Hz.

"are you saying the CD rip in 16/44.1 WAV sounds better than the 24/96 FLAC download" Yes in a lot of cases, if not most. But certainly better than FLAC 16/44 downloads. Disc space is not an issue like it was a few years ago so files in WAV 16/44 are not a problem. It really comes down to the quality of the FLAC file on offer and not all are that good, I sometimes wonder if hires FLAC downloads have already just been upsampled. When I say RIP I really mean 'extracted' using EAC. If you look on forums about the QA QLS Player they will tell you the same thing.
" I think IEM's go down to 20Hz " Think or Know? Read up on Missing Fundamentals and how this can be used in psychoacoustics. I'm not an expert on these things (who is) but after almost a full year of constant reading/studying/listening/ building speakers and comparing these are my conclusions and people I know who have systems costing as much as my house! I almost curse the C4 for starting me on all this
confused_face(1).gif
 BTW I've sent you that file.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #25 of 26
  WhiteCrow,

Please come back and give it a listen, we just got them. I was able to load some FLAC 24/96 stuff up on it and they are sweet.

Ken

Hi Ken,

When you say you can load FLAC 24/96 on the C4 does that mean you can play it? Supposedly you would only be able to play FLAC up to 16/44.

May 11, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #26 of 26
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has the Colorfly C4 user guide and is willing to upload the English pages (found a few online already).

Just bought one without the manual or case and would like to have it to make sure I operate it correctly.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back