Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Oct 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,892 of 3,325
agree.there's something about it I can't let go of. Something about the sound lures me in everytime.
hDIQWz

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,894 of 3,325
Laying down listening to this amazing pianist and vocalist with my RDB v1 straight from C3's headphone out. The little colorfly still punches right up there beyond its price point, don't think you could ask for much more at $100 sound quality wise. Really shines with the higher end stuff I've paired it with.

The RDB v1 don't do to bad either. :wink:

http://tantrumjas.bandcamp.com/album/bundle-of-tantrums

Very nice bro! There are some seriously talented people up at Bandcamp, here is whats on my C3 currently.

http://sloslylove.bandcamp.com/album/cant-get-enough

http://lazerhawk.bandcamp.com/album/visitors

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #1,895 of 3,325
Indeed there are some great artists on band camp, I'll check out your links in the morning on my laptop.

Btw (everyone) Dunu DN-1000 is a very capable $200 Hybrid which pairs fantastic with the little colorfly, nice crisp, clean slightly cool tonality, it's very fun and involving.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #1,896 of 3,325
H20, so you now toying with Dunu? And how Dunu compares to H200?

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,897 of 3,325
H20, so you now toying with Dunu? And how Dunu compares to H200?

I have an audition unit here with me, it's really capable, has similar tonality to H -200, but more airy smoother mid range and out does the T-Peos in soundstage width by a large amount. If I hadn't heard other gear I'd be more than happy with the Dunu. It just needs some forward thrust (hype) and could be an IEM I'd recommend for those looking in the $200 price range with ease.

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,898 of 3,325
I have been recently been revisiting a couple of my old iems and discovered that sm3 v2 pairs very nicely with the colorfly c3. Better than even my w4s. If anyone has these iems please post your impressions and opinions.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,899 of 3,325
Hi all, I've had my colorfly c3 for several months and wasn't overly impressed. I've paired it up to my ue tf10s and some audiotechnical m150's. All sounded pretty good, so I was expecting great things when my ue 900's arrived. That was not the case, to say the least I was disappointed. I found the sound muddy and lacking the crispness I was expecting. I persevered with this for several months, excepting this as being as good as it would get. Boy what I wrong..... Let me say on the outset, I'm not a very big believer in dsp functions on any device, but set this one to jazz and WOW. I don't what that setting changes, but the results are mind blowing. So much clarity and depth. And to think I was considering getting a new player..... Very happy now!!!!!!!! If you have a c3 and some 900's, try this, it'll make your day ( if not week)

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #1,900 of 3,325
i am auditioning now DX50 and overall find it superior compared to C3+BH combo. factoring in the price of amplifier i would venture to say DX50 might be a better choice because it does not need amp critically.

for what is worth my humble opinion.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,901 of 3,325
Which pairs better with your h200's?

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,902 of 3,325
Which pairs better with your h200's?

you will be laughing but C3+BH pairs better with H200, it will sound good enough on DX50 but i find some chill itchy scratchy texture to it with H200. C3 on its own is mellower more mid centric sounding and BH powers C3 excellent. DX50 has powerful amp and sometimes i feel this gets too much on some material for H200.

sorry if this sounds disappointing.

never mind, here is some good music to help us carry over this issue :D

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #1,903 of 3,325

you will be laughing but C3+BH pairs better with H200, it will sound good enough on DX50 but i find some chill itchy scratchy texture to it with H200. C3 on its own is mellower more mid centric sounding and BH powers C3 excellent. DX50 has powerful amp and sometimes i feel this gets too much on some material for H200.

sorry if this sounds disappointing.

Nope, not disappointing for me - I don't have the DX50 and wasn't planning on getting it, so I'm happy enough to hear that you like the H200's with the C3+BH more. I am highly interested in the X5 though, so I will be disappointed if the H200's don't pair up with it well!

P.s. that Youssou N'Dour song - thanks! Love his work with Gabriel.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,904 of 3,325
Hi headfi, I am a new member here and was considering the colorfly c3.Hopefully you can help:

1. I have read reports (here) that buying fom a non authorised dealer means you can't update firmware? (I live in australia, colorfly don't reply to my emails about buying them so what choice do I have?). ..

2. Is it true that updating the firmware can kill the c3?

Ive been through all the threads, and find it pretty confusing, is it just me or is this a shonky semi working product sold by a semi shonky company? Sorry to be blunt, but I also see colorfly sponsors this forum, so maybe it's not the place to ask.

The main web site is most unhelpful, like its trying to be something it isnt (all links lead to a Gmbh), no prices etc. is there another?

So, I am confused, but also of extremely limited budget! I wanted to get my partner a nice player with high quality audio, This unit seemed great, but reading the threads make me wonder.

I appreciate any advice here, its a great site!

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,905 of 3,325
The firmware is a simple download you can do with or without even owning the player. Simple to install and doesn't have any limitation on where you bought it. I bought mine second hand from a YouTube reviewer. Updated as soon as I got it. I did have to do the pin reset trick afterwards but not again since and that was months ago. If you've been reading up then you already know it's pluses and minuses. Most agree it's totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back