Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Nov 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #1,906 of 3,325
Hi headfi, I am a new member here and was considering the colorfly c3.Hopefully you can help:

1. I have read reports (here) that buying fom a non authorised dealer means you can't update firmware? (I live in australia, colorfly don't reply to my emails about buying them so what choice do I have?). ..

2. Is it true that updating the firmware can kill the c3?

Ive been through all the threads, and find it pretty confusing, is it just me or is this a shonky semi working product sold by a semi shonky company? Sorry to be blunt, but I also see colorfly sponsors this forum, so maybe it's not the place to ask.

The main web site is most unhelpful, like its trying to be something it isnt (all links lead to a Gmbh), no prices etc. is there another?

So, I am confused, but also of extremely limited budget! I wanted to get my partner a nice player with high quality audio, This unit seemed great, but reading the threads make me wonder.

I appreciate any advice here, its a great site!

Given their inept site, the only place I found to purchase one was on Ebay with the 4gb version a little under $100 US and the 8gb version a little over. That's how I purchased mine. 

The company is not overly active with firmware updates. In fact, I have never heard of a new one to try, so I am still using my original firmware. It is a featureless UI that allows you to add and browse folders in folder view. You can chose songs within folders to play all the songs in them, so I add songs to folders to play folders like playlists - ie gym music, chill, techno, etc. I am not expecting the company to update to anything more than that, but it works fine for me. Just don't expect an Apple-like UI.

What is special about the little player is its sound. IMO, when paired with a $100 bh2 amp, the combined sound is hard to beat for 3 times the combined $200 US cost. It's too bad the purchase is so confusing, but I have never regretted adding it and the BH2 to my lineup. So start with the C3 to see if you like it, and then you can upgrade by adding the BH2 as a natural progression that will blow your mind. Once you hear them paired, there is no going back so be careful. 
smile.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,908 of 3,325
The firmware is a simple download you can do with or without even owning the player. Simple to install and doesn't have any limitation on where you bought it. I bought mine second hand from a YouTube reviewer. Updated as soon as I got it. I did have to do the pin reset trick afterwards but not again since and that was months ago. If you've been reading up then you already know it's pluses and minuses. Most agree it's totally worth it.

That's true, if you get it, be aware of the pin hole next to the line out. If it appears dead, stick a pin in it for a few seconds to revive with a reset. We have all dealt with that once or twice, but not often. However, it is scary the first time when you think you bricked the device.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #1,910 of 3,325
It's an easy purchase from them.  Just hope you don't hit Chinese New Year, or it will slow down delivery times.

When you do a firmware update, you WILL have to do the pin trick.  And that means a shirt pin, the thin kind.  Not a paperclip or something thick. Hold it in for at least five seconds.  

The sound is wonderful, the GUI is minimal.  Pair it with a C&C amp and it gets even better (I run the amp flat, others use the switches).

I carry a pin when I walk with it, as it will sometimes lock up. Not often.  More often, popping the memory card out and pushing it back in clears things (it will freeze between songs- again, not often)

Slightly quirky, no GUI to speak of, great sound.  Worth the money.

Nov 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,911 of 3,325
Mighty good deal here for US members on a C3. I'd snap this up while one of you can guys.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692781/colorfly-c3-with-32gb-sd-as-new

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,912 of 3,325
Yup, that's a great deal.

Dec 1, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #1,914 of 3,325
  The Colorfly cannot read a 64gb memory card is this correct?

not correct, i tried today 64G sdxc card and to my own surprise C3 accepted it. do not know for others.

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,915 of 3,325

not correct, i tried today 64G sdxc card and to my own surprise C3 accepted it. do not know for others.

Yup, 64G sdxc cards work in the C3 (formatted to FAT32)

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #1,916 of 3,325
Hi, just wanted to let you know I got my Sennheiser Momentum and I love them with my C3. These headphones are way too expensive here, around 500 dollars in Mexico, and they don't look the price, really, being all sober and simple looking, but they sound great for my ears. I am getting the BH2 amplifier for Xmas, but in the meantime I am really enjoying my combo.

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,917 of 3,325
I think we'll need to make room for another C3 thread trooper soon, I sent my unit out on audition to a member for a month who caved and bought one within a week. I believe if I were to quote him he said something along the lines of "I think I prefer C3 over my iPod touch 5G"

:wink:

What a little champion the little Colorfly is, still winning fans even with its zoo monkey created user interface.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #1,918 of 3,325
I've had he C3 for a couple of weeks and I'm quite impressed.  I find the iPod 5G touch does well with the upper frequency range however is a little thin on the lower frequency range.  The  C3 is solid across the frequency spectrum.  The separation and spacing are noticeably better on the C3.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #1,919 of 3,325
  Hi, just wanted to let you know I got my Sennheiser Momentum and I love them with my C3. These headphones are way too expensive here, around 500 dollars in Mexico, and they don't look the price, really, being all sober and simple looking, but they sound great for my ears. I am getting the BH2 amplifier for Xmas, but in the meantime I am really enjoying my combo.

Glad you're enjoying the combo! And that's a great Xmas present coming - the C3 + BH2 is truly an awesome combo that you will be able to enjoy with a number of iem's and headphones. And I'm sure it will sound awesome with your Momentums. Throw the BH2's SF switch on, and enjoy your Momentums opening up beautifully for you.

I've had he C3 for a couple of weeks and I'm quite impressed.  I find the iPod 5G touch does well with the upper frequency range however is a little thin on the lower frequency range.  The  C3 is solid across the frequency spectrum.  The separation and spacing are noticeably better on the C3.

Congrats! The C3 is somewhat (ok, completely) neutered in the functionality department, but it sure makes up for it in spades it's SQ output :)

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,920 of 3,325
Not sure if this is going to help you, but I'll explain what I do...

I don't sort by song, artist, genre, doesn't interest me. All my albums are in folders on the sd card.

When I add new folders to the microsd, C3 sort them by date and for some reason anything new you transfer can be found by immediately scrolling up instead of down in the menu.

If you want to sort it into alphabetical order.

Transfer all your album folders onto the root menu of your micro sd. then create a folder in your cards root menu called MUSIC.

Drag all your album folders into that sub folder. By doing this you're transferring everything at the same time and the C3 will read them in alphabetical order it just doesn't start exactly at A when you turn it on, you need to scroll down a few folders.

Over time when you add more folders and they become out of order drag everything into a new sub folder again for example MUSIC2 and move everything again at the same time. Once everything is moved you can delete the original, now empty sub folder.

I don't use any programs, no drive magic fairy floss, just Windows and don't have a problem. If however you want to sort by song, genre, artist, etc etc.... this is not the player for you, it's purely for sorting by folder view.

H20 you're a legend! Took me hours to find the solution i was looking for... didn't expect the answer to come from you! I should've just asked you weeks ago! 
biggrin.gif

So busy ripping all my cd's to flac; man, this is a lot of work!

Anyway, I'm so in love with the C3 right now! Pairing it with the C5 and I noticed that it's a little bit warmer than straight from the C3's dad/amp. Great combo by the way... but in some cases, I like the standalone C3 for portability. My iPod touch 5gen is starting to collect dust...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back