Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Apr 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,023 of 3,325
Quote:
I am not good at explaining what I hear, but from what I own I can list them in order of preference:

Laptop > NuForce Icon HDP > AKG Q701 (foobar wasapi flac 16-44.1)
Colorfly C3 > Sennheiser Momentum (flac 16-44.1)
iPad Mini > Sennheiser Momentum (alac 16-44.1)
Laptop > Sennheiser Momentum (flac 16-44.1)

Straight from laptop to Momentum is just terrible sounding, which is what led me to search for a dap in the first place.

Out of C3 and Mini they sound exactly the same. Both deliver very good sq. I was hoping C3 would destroy Mini in terms of sq but there was no difference at all. This makes me sad because I was going to buy iPod Classic 160gb when I read in this forum that C3 > Classic. I went with (assumed) better sq than (known) features and storage but I know now I should have bought Classic. I've been enjoying C3 but it's so finicky at times. Just now I ran the battery dry and tried plugging it in but it wouldn't turn on or charge. I was at school so I didn't have a pin to try resetting. I found one in some bulletin board and finally was able to reset it. Another thing that happens to my C3 (so far no one experiences this but me) I can not plug usb to laptop and connect it or even charge it. My laptop says unknown device or something and shuts it off then my C3 freezes at startup. It doesn't matter much right now other than I can't use the extra 4gb in internal memory but in the future I have no ability to upgrade firmware.

My favorite system goes to Laptop > NuForce Icon HDP > AKG Q701. There's so much clarity and detail. But the downside is I can only listen at home.

I would like to try C3+BH but I'm afraid I am just throwing money away. Since I can't really tell if C3 sounds better than Mini like most of you guys who said it does, those same guys would say BH improves C3. Maybe I'm not tuned to hear what you guys hear. This also makes me sad...

I have C3, iPod classic (160G, 7th Generation), iPod video (60G, 5th Generation with wolfson) and Sansa Fuze.
C3 has the best sound among them! To make you understand more, I rate them in scale of 10:

C3: 9.5/10 (without the BH)
iPod Video (Wolfson): 8.5/10
iPod Classic 160G: 7.5/10
Sansa Fuze: 7.0/10

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,024 of 3,325
How does the C3 sound with an amp? I am aware that it doesnt contain a line out port and hence you would be double amping it.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,025 of 3,325
Quote:
I have a cable here that has directional arrows on it.
wink.gif

Here's an example.

Just so you guys are aware the directional arrows most likely have something to do with how the outer wire shield ( foil or whatever it is inside ) is possibly attached only to one end in there. There are many ways of making cables I will see if i can dig up the reference chart for that.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #1,028 of 3,325
Cyber, clearly there is difference and this is not subtle. Rwak100 is mored effortless and spacious sounding. Instrument separation is just better and cleaner, music just flows out of Rwak.

however C3 and Rwak are two different animals IMHO and each of them has fair degree of fun. c3 is more midcentric, there is a moderate bass rolloff on c3 too which is not anything major unless you listen very loud. on the other hand c3 renders voices so nicely and there is a good touch of liveliness in overall presentation. c3 stereo image is smaller but well focused, stage depth is fairly good. details are better on Rwak, c3 sounds a bit congested due to narrower stereo imaging too... but depth of stage on c3 is pretty good.

Rwak excels in detail and layering and in more neutral presentation across the entire frequency range. where i feel Rwak lacks sometimes is bold dynamic and timbre richness.... still compared to c3 Rwak overall does a better job and not by a small margin.

what pains me however is that sometimes on some recordings c3 gives me a bit more analogue sound flavor which is weird considering all sonic advantages of Rwak.

Rwak is also more easy to listen because c3 sometimes can be a tad fatiguing if listen long hours non-stop.

But again, remember my best IEMs at home are Musical Fidelity which are fine IEMs but they are single BA and so cannot overcome some shortcomings. I will do more comparisons when RDB+ will arrive.

comparing Rwak to Cowons makes no sense since the way they render music differs a lot and Cowons while nice sounding have that annoying digitalisation of sound.

In the end, i find both Rwak and C3 being great players, each is a joy to listen and C3 is hard to beat for the money IF you compare it for sound per buck spent. Lets say this, after getting Rwak i did not stop using C3. more so i use C3 in office all the time when free time or less people around and i receive as much pleasure from it as from my Rwak. and never forget C3 is 100$ player while Rwak is 900$ player, so sound per buck on C3 is better but overall Rwak is king sonically speaking.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,029 of 3,325
Quote:
Waiting is the most difficult part. Well, aside from trying to convince someone to let you spend so much on audio gear. . . 

First part, I agree. Second, I only need to convince myself and it's not that difficult. :)

Next in line is C&C BH, but only after I get my hands on first two. I listen to the music on the go, that's why portability is the key. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #1,030 of 3,325
I find mine quite portable- however, just not in my pocket.  I bought a small carrying pouch that has belt loops (actually, a small ammo pouch off of eBay for about $4) and it will hold the devices, as well as my earbuds, and also allow me easy access to reach in and change volume/track.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #1,031 of 3,325
Nicely taken photo's dude, I have added one to the album in the C&C BH thread for you. I think it is worthy of such an accomplishment.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review#post_9018559

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #1,032 of 3,325
Nice pictures there! Love the opaque background.
beerchug.gif

ah so to reference the directional arrows ( sort of on-topic ) this is directly off an Energy cable package insert.
"Directional ground acts as filter against electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI)"

Totally forgot about the arrows until it was mentioned. Luckily I am not picking up and radio stations or interfering with the off-world implant transfer in my body now.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #1,033 of 3,325
This may sound like a dumb question but, I received the c&c bh amp yesterday. Instant WOW factor when combined with W4 and colorfly c3 but, upon further inspection of the amp, I noticed the high gain low gain switch. As I am listening with my W4's, I switch to low gain and WoW factor completely gone. In fact besides a little more amplification, it's almost no different from the colorfly unamped. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,034 of 3,325
Quote:
This may sound like a dumb question but, I received the c&c bh amp yesterday. Instant WOW factor when combined with W4 and colorfly c3 but, upon further inspection of the amp, I noticed the high gain low gain switch. As I am listening with my W4's, I switch to low gain and WoW factor completely gone. In fact besides a little more amplification, it's almost no different from the colorfly unamped. Any thoughts or suggestions??

leave it on High Gain to get your "WoW factor" back?

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,035 of 3,325

From what I gather, you enjoy the combo when the amp is set to high gain, but not when the amp is in low gain? Would it not make sense then to leave the amp in high gain mode? Most members pairing the BH / C3 have been using the combo in high gain. C3 does not put out the strongest of signals even at full volume and C&C BH enjoys a strong line signal,so high gain is needed for the best 'WoW" experience. Also, make sure C3 is set to 40/40 volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back