Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,051 of 3,325
What sounds good to you?

I have Triple Fi 10s and it sounds good to me with the gain on or off.  I prefer it off at this point, just a bit easier on my ears.  I have the other two switches on, and the width of the soundstage is excellent and the bass is suitable for my needs/music.  Your milage may vary.

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,052 of 3,325
Quote:
From what I gather, you enjoy the combo when the amp is set to high gain, but not when the amp is in low gain? Would it not make sense then to leave the amp in high gain mode? Most members pairing the BH / C3 have been using the combo in high gain. C3 does not put out the strongest of signals even at full volume and C&C BH enjoys a strong line signal,so high gain is needed for the best 'WoW" experience. Also, make sure C3 is set to 40/40 volume.

So I take it you utilize the high gain switch with your iems. You seem to be the biggest advocate of the c3+c&c bh combo...how exactly do you listen that sounds best to your ears?? LF on or off??

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,053 of 3,325
So I take it you utilize the high gain switch with your iems. You seem to be the biggest advocate of the c3+c&c bh combo...how exactly do you listen that sounds best to your ears?? LF on or off??

Colorfly C3: Output1 - High gain - LF on - SF off.

Colorfly CK4+: Output1 - Low gain - LF on - SF off.

That's just my preferences though, as you can see in previous posts everyone else varies, it's really just a matter of trial and error to see what works best personally for you and your IEM / Headphone.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #1,054 of 3,325

The C3 & Cue Files:

After a bit of conversion and testing this is what I have found to work and not work, as always YMMV.

PC Programs:
foobar2000 Convert
CUETools v2.14

OSX Programs:
MAX
XLD

File Formats refresher.
WAV  32 - 48 Khz / 8 - 24 Bit
FLAC 32 - 48 Khz / 16 Bit
APE   32 - 48 Khz / 16 Bit (EQ is NOT available when playing APE files. If the compression rate is too high files will not play.)
MP3    8 - 320 Kbps
WMA   8 - 448 Kbps

FLAC files with Cue do not play properly, the FLAC will play all the way through if you do not skip any tracks forward or backwards. What the C3 seems to do when you hit next track is that the playing time does not reset back to zero for the next track. Basically if you were 2:30 into the first track and you hit next, the C3 does not start the second track playing at 0:00 but a random time into the file and as you next / back it progressively gets worse. Almost like the FLAC has the wrong Cue with it, but this is not the case...

Embedded Cue's in FLAC files will not work either.

WAV files with Cue work perfectly, you can step forward and backwards and all works as it should.

APE files with Cue work perfectly as well except there is no EQ while playing APE's. You can go and change the EQ settings but the sound will not change. Also APE's with high compression will give "Play Error" and not play.

Monkey Audio APE files are lossless files just like FLAC files are and actually compress higher than FLAC's do.
The APE files I created for this test just used "Normal" compression and worked perfectly.

MP3 & WMA no reason to test.

XXX + Cue files were made on the PC with foobar2000 and CueTools

XXX + Cue were made on the Mac with XLD (Mount folder as CD and convert) I don't have a working optical disk in my C2D so I did not try ripping a CD with MAX. There is also a commercial package for the Mac called Audio Converter Pro from Xilisoft which I believe will allow you to make APE's of your files, but you would have to email their tech support and ask.

Also as SpartanD63 found out, the Cue files cannot have any "Replay Gain" information in them or they will not play.

This is what I have found out about the FLAC's and Cue's, if we ever see another firmware for this unit hopefully this will be fixed amongst the many other quirks.
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,056 of 3,325
TrollDragon- yep, that works (WAV).  I'm currently converting all 8gb of FLACs w/cues to WAV w/cues- have to break up each large file to individual tracks, and then re-encode back to single (now WAV) files.  Ah, the fun we have.  :)

Thanks! 

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,057 of 3,325
Quote:
TrollDragon- yep, that works (WAV).  I'm currently converting all 8gb of FLACs w/cues to WAV w/cues- have to break up each large file to individual tracks, and then re-encode back to single (now WAV) files.  Ah, the fun we have.  :)

Thanks! 

8GB? Pff Easy. Try 85GB. Yeah, this is going to be fun
wink_face.gif

The things we do for good audio...

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #1,058 of 3,325
You guys have your whole setup on the C3 as Single FLAC's with Cue files?

I only use WAV & Cue for 24/48 downsample's from 24/96 stuff and for gapless albums, everything else is single file FLAC. in Artist / Album / Track folder layout.
(I also only listen to albums and usually not single tracks or random play)

If you can fine an APE & Cue program and you do not use the C3 EQ that would be your better bet as APE's on Normal Compression are very close to FLAC's in size.

That's alright though a lot of my stuff was ripped down to AAC 256K for my 8GB iPod's, luckily the Clip+ happily played those files nicely.
Now if the C3 would do ALAC & AAC's... Bliss
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #1,059 of 3,325
I only redid the albums I wanted as single files.  So it wasn't a massive undertaking.  And I only listen for about 16 minutes at a time, as that's how long it takes me to walk 2 miles.  It's a very happy 2 miles, though, with good music.  I don't envy you the 85gb.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #1,060 of 3,325
Quote:
You guys have your whole setup on the C3 as Single FLAC's with Cue files?

I do, yes. It kinda makes managing files a bit easier with less files. 
redface.gif

Quote:
And I only listen for about 16 minutes at a time, as that's how long it takes me to walk 2 miles.  It's a very happy 2 miles, though, with good music.

Two miles? No way. Two miles with music? I'd be ok with that. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #1,062 of 3,325
Has anyone tried the (C3+BH) with GR07 Bass edition?
If I remember correct, someone posted that this combination is not that great. I don't know why, but I couldn't find that post...
I was thinking to get the GR07 Bass as new IEMs as they have great reviews, but I don't know at this moment if it's a good pick for this combo!?

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #1,063 of 3,325
Quote:
Has anyone tried the (C3+BH) with GR07 Bass edition?
If I remember correct, someone posted that this combination is not that great. I don't know why, but I couldn't find that post...
I was thinking to get the GR07 Bass as new IEMs as they have great reviews, but I don't know at this moment if it's a good pick for this combo!?

I'm looking at the GR07 as well but maybe not the bass model.  I love the colorfly for it's detail and instrument seperation but, In my opinion It lacks a bit of weight.  For this reason I prefer to have the LF on and High Gain on.  I've heard good things about the GR07 and would think just the contrary that the bass version would suit the Colorfly+BH well.

Hopefully H2O can chime in, as I believe he has had this combo (regular GR07).

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,064 of 3,325
I'm looking at the GR07 as well but maybe not the bass model.  I love the colorfly for it's detail and instrument seperation but, In my opinion It lacks a bit of weight.  For this reason I prefer to have the LF on and High Gain on.  I've heard good things about the GR07 and would think just the contrary that the bass version would suit the Colorfly+BH well.

Hopefully H2O can chime in, as I believe he has had this combo (regular GR07).

Unfortunately, I haven't tried C3 / BH / GR07, but I have good thoughts on the pairing, There are others who are using the GR07 BE with BH with good results. Just I haven't been able to find anyone using the C3 / BH with them. Personally, I think it would work well.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,065 of 3,325
How about a C3 with a JDS C5? Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back