Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Feb 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #586 of 3,325
Thanks. Will keep that in mind when i go audtition some phones. Forgot to mention that i listen to train, the killers, air supply, paramore and other random songs. Pity i wont be able to use that promo code.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #587 of 3,325
Quote:
Sounds like I just need to plug in the C3 and drag and drop folders of music into it.  Or plug in a 32gb Sandisk and drag and drop folders into it and then insert it in the C3.

Does the C3 have a Shuffle setting to run through songs, or is it folders and play songs in order only?

You'll want to plug the uSD card into your Mac and transfer that way, really slow through the C3.

The Shuffle feature only does the songs in the folder you've selected.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #588 of 3,325
Thank you.  Yes, I planned to plug the Sandisk into the Mac and transfer files to it (I ripped 24gb today, which will leave a bit of space in my 32gb card).  Are you suggesting I leave the 8gb empty in the C3, and rely solely on the micro card?  Or fill it up first, with the rest on the card.  I think I read somewhere here that there are limitations when using the card re saving your stop point and then restarting the song later.  

I will make up playlist folders that I can shuffle within- I listen while I walk (old guy, dr's orders I get exercise, so I walk two miles a day while listening through my triple fi's).  Just looking for better sound than my iPhone 4 can give me (it's not bad, just nicely average).  

My impression of the BlueHarvest is that I run it on the folder I create, then eject the folder from the Mac and insert it in the C3.  Correct?  

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #589 of 3,325
No the 8 GB is fully useable as well, It just transfers so slow, I have the Complete Jazz Collection 1 & 2 on my "Interal Flash" as the Colorfly people call it. Just makes it easy to switch to when I'm in a Jazz mood. :) Otherwise I have a class 10 32GB card that I put all my random and changing stuff on, just pop it out and copy what I need or want, and a LOT faster transfer too.

There is no playback resume or in the case of Audiobooks "Remember Position" with the C3. Each time you turn it on you select the Memory (Interal Flash or TF Card) then select the Folder to play from, very easy and minimalistic.
biggrin.gif

I have never run BlueHarvest myself, I posted in this thread about the command line functions to shut off the extra folders that are created by OSX.  http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6707/how-to-stop-os-x-from-writing-spotlight-and-trash-files-to-memory-cards-and-usb

But if BlueHarvest works for you and is easy to use, them by all means use it instead.

Playlist folders are the way to go for sure when there is some shuffling to do.

Your going to love the C3, it's a great little player!
beerchug.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #590 of 3,325
Thanks again.  I had seen the post linked above about various ways to delete the files.  I've done lots of "due diligence," reading up on various players, pros and cons, issues, and the like.  Especially with a Mac in a Windows world, it pays to do your homework before setting off on a path.  I also saw the reference to BlueHarvest on the Colorfly site, and decided for $14 it made sense.  Select the volume (card or mounted C3), choose menu to run BlueHarvest, then eject.  

I bought a 32gb Sandisk Class 4 after reading this thread.  Seemed cost over speed wouldn't be much of an issue (as opposed to the cards in my Nikons and Canons, which I want as fast as possible), merely a bit longer to transfer but no effect on playback.  

Thought I might put the Beatles and a few other "go to" groups on the 8gb internal, and use the 32 for the rest and new adds.  That way I'll always have Liverpool.  :)  My iPhone 4 music player (well, actually I run an app called DJ, which makes overlapping transitions from song to song) has various playlists that I can choose from, or I can just shuffle off the whole music file.  I'll have to adapt a bit to a new paradigm here, but the SQ seems worth it.  I've made some single FLAC and cue files already, but I do like the option of jumping from track to track, so probably will keep that to a minimum.

Thanks again for the feedback.  My device has shipped - guess he sent it out before leaving for Chinese New Year, supposed to be here within the next ten days (been five already).  Longer for the case I ordered, he didn't ship it yet.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #591 of 3,325
lower class micro sd cards are bloody cheap nowadays. i also received a 16G class 4card from the merchant with C3. upon getting my C3 i went and bought two Sundisk class 4 32G micro cards. as a matter of fact i had no issues, all cards were plug & play and were pre-formatted to FAT32. all i had to do was transfer music files. C3 gladly accepted and played everything without a problem.

concerning files transfer i recommend using card adapter for transfer from PC onto the card.... i did not use C3 for transfer since all owners of C3 confirmed this is way too slow. so i put the card into mac via adapter and do all my music files and then unplug and insert this into C3. saves me time.

several things i note. first of all, do not buy latest class micro cards, class4 works just fine and taking higher class cards will give no benefit while being more costly and can have some issues with C3. also, better use two 32G rather than 64G, makes life easier and also quicker on C3.

as concerns sorting files i recommend creating big folders using letters like A-G or S-Z and put your music accordingly. another issue is C3 sorts everything by date of transfer. so when you copied all your music onto the card, you then have to transfer everything back on PC and then again back to the card. this eliminates date transfer issue and C3 then can sort everything alphabetically and numerically.

as it happens i do not use C3 internal memory since 8G is a joke and adding one more 32G card makes better sense for me personally. currently i use 2x32G and 1x16G, plan to add two more cards then which should be very enough for me. swapping cards is easy and problem free.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #592 of 3,325
today listened to YES album Magnification on C3, this is fairly complex master work of YES recorded with symphonic orchestra, incredible polyphony. i use this CD along with a few another for testing music gear i plan to add.
curious to hear your impressions if anyone got listen to this on C3 as well.

Feb 10, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #593 of 3,325
the reason i ask about this special music CD because i am curious to see your findings before i share my. the only thing i can say right now is that C3 does a very good job but.... some issues pop up ...

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #594 of 3,325
So I bought a SD Card from a store this morning, everything works perfectly now.  There seems to be a lot of fake SD cards on eBay so to reiterate what others have suggested, its not always worth the cheaper option.  Also, I bought my C3 from China and it took 12 days to arrive at my office in London.  If only CNY would hurry up as I cant wait to try the C3 with my UM Miracles, which are currently at stage 'x' in the lab.  Thanks for all your help.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #595 of 3,325
Quote:
today listened to YES album Magnification on C3, this is fairly complex master work of YES recorded with symphonic orchestra, incredible polyphony. i use this CD along with a few another for testing music gear i plan to add.
curious to hear your impressions if anyone got listen to this on C3 as well.

Yes fan here...and DLing Magnification right now. 

I'm curious about a good way to vary the music on the C3...? I mistakenly got a 64gb card and while I have it loaded to the gills with music...it's a bit of a pain in the ass to find anything. Does anyone have a good "system"?

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #596 of 3,325
Quote:
Yes fan here...and DLing Magnification right now. 

I'm curious about a good way to vary the music on the C3...? I mistakenly got a 64gb card and while I have it loaded to the gills with music...it's a bit of a pain in the ass to find anything. Does anyone have a good "system"?

One relatively easy and quick way to organize your files alphabetically by artist is to use the program Drivesort.  For any of the people here who have or had sflo2 (Teclast T51) players, Drivesort was a convenient way to organize files.  The C3 is very similar to the sflo2 in this regard.  After you add your music to your 64 gb card, you can open up Drivesort, open your files, press sort, then press save and your done.  Once your have the program installed, it literally takes seconds to get your files in alphabetical order (by artist).  I think you can sort files in other ways as well with Drivesort, but I have only used it this way.  In any event, it sure sounds easier then most of the other suggestions I've seen on this thread.  Good luck.  By the way, you can get more info on Drivesort if you visit the old sflo2 posts on the Nationite forum site.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #597 of 3,325
Quote:
It is most defiantly not plug and play...

Here are my samples of the PCM1772 there are 3 of them in the black carrier next to the Canadian Dime for size reference.
They are 16 Pin TSSOP which is 0.3mm pins with 0.65mm spacing, so you'll need SMD soldering skills and some good eyes. :)

Here is the part of the board where you change the chip highlighted in green, this is on the screen side of the board so the board will have to be removed from the case.
Electrostatic handling precautions need to be observed as always.

The parts highlighted in red are designed for the HP Out of the 1770, the Data sheet of the 1772 recommends a LPF on the output of the chip.
The PCM177X demo board has a OPA2134A 54 kHz / 108 kHz second-order post filter, but you should be able to get away with a passive LPF, only it will give no where near as much output level as the OPA2134a does, and I don't think there is enough room for an opamp inside the case.

Since this might just be an exercise in futility...
biggrin.gif

I have sampled some PCM1770's as well to put things back to rights if need be. I am going to borrow an oscilloscope from a friend before I do this to measure output levels and look for any strange oscillation's, I wouldn't do the chip switch without one.
Also not knowing how good the traces are on the board, I'll just cut the 1770 away from it's pins and then clean up the old pins to minimize lifting any traces.

And that jdog is as far as I am at right now.

I will post more details and pictures when I do the swap.
beerchug.gif

I was wondering if you could provide an update on your modification project?  Thanks.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #598 of 3,325
Quote:
To those who recently bought the C3 for a very cheap price of around $40-45, (from this seller http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-COLORFLY-C3-24bit-WAV-APE-FLAC-HiFi-Music-Player-with-retail-box-/230916561091?pt=UK_Music_Other_Music_Formats_ET&hash=item35c3b318c3&_uhb=1#ht_4382wt_906), has yours been shipped yet? 

Quote:
I have no clue haha

I ordered my C3 from that dealer for $45 AUD, just before. Hopefully they're the legit ones.

Did you happen to receive the C3 from this dealer?  I saw his site was shut down by Ebay.  If you did receive the C3, was it in working order?  If you haven't received, did you request a refund?  Thanks.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #600 of 3,325
Quote:
One relatively easy and quick way to organize your files alphabetically by artist is to use the program Drivesort.  For any of the people here who have or had sflo2 (Teclast T51) players, Drivesort was a convenient way to organize files.  The C3 is very similar to the sflo2 in this regard.  After you add your music to your 64 gb card, you can open up Drivesort, open your files, press sort, then press save and your done.  Once your have the program installed, it literally takes seconds to get your files in alphabetical order (by artist).  I think you can sort files in other ways as well with Drivesort, but I have only used it this way.  In any event, it sure sounds easier then most of the other suggestions I've seen on this thread.  Good luck.  By the way, you can get more info on Drivesort if you visit the old sflo2 posts on the Nationite forum site.

Nice info but of no help for us Mac users.  :)  I found an open source app called FatSort that runs from Terminal, haven't tried it yet.

Ginteras posted above a way to allow alpha and numeric playback selection.

I had ordered a Sandisk 32gb Class 4 from Amazon, but today at Costco I found a 32gb Class 10 with adaptor for $4 more.  Brought it home and began filling it up.  Ran BlueHarvest and it deleted Mac invisible files.  Seems to work.  I'll use the Amazon one (when it comes) as a secondary card.

Now, if my C3 would just arrive.....  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back