Cologne-fi
Feb 1, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #196 of 436
just found an old-fashioned barber again, against all hope, and the stuff used there smells less, and stings less, than anything I've been using over the years at home - just a clean feeling. almost entirely off all scents now, except for the men's line from occitane, and kiehl's - and of course the no-name stuff used at the barber shop.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #197 of 436
I'm wearing Creed Green Irish Tweed today, and when I first put it on, it smelled so much like Creed Millésime Impérial that I was a little worried I'd received a mislabeled sample. Chalk it up to the lemon/verbena top-notes and the fact that GIT is also a millesime (all natural ingredients). The difference is that GIT does not have MI's distinctive sour note, it's more of a typical fresh scent.

The top-notes smell very similar to Ralph Lauren Polo Blue and Davidoff Cool Water, and I believe this is where most of the comparisons are based. However, the drydown of Green Irish Tweed is much more sophisticated; a little warm, almost creamy, and sweet. I'd hesitate to even call it a 'green' scent because starts out fresh/aquatic, hints at a floral stage, then moves to a slight amber musk.

Overall, Creed Green Irish Tweed is a classy scent that will smell great on most people and won't offend anyone. A great everyday work scent. Thumbs up for this one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #198 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The top-notes smell very similar to Ralph Lauren Polo Blue and Davidoff Cool Water, and I believe this is where most of the comparisons are based. However, the drydown of Green Irish Tweed is much more sophisticated; a little warm, almost creamy, and sweet. I'd hesitate to even call it a 'green' scent because starts out fresh/aquatic, hints at a floral stage, then moves to a slight amber musk.

To my nose GIT drydown is almost identical to cheapo Aspen by Coty.
wink_face.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #201 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall, Creed Green Irish Tweed is a classy scent that will smell great on most people and won't offend anyone. A great everyday work scent. Thumbs up for this one!
smily_headphones1.gif

x2. Been using them for years and will use them for years to come. My personal favorite. Light woody with a hint of flowery scent and not over-powering. It really works for any occasion. Good stuff.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #204 of 436
My favourite Creed (of the 3 I've sampled) is Erolfa. At first the 'oceanic' ozone sort of notes made me think it was very expensive air freshener, but it's after they pass that the best part of the fragrance is revealed. Sadly my sample is finished
frown.gif

I have L'Eau Bleue D'Issey by Issey Miyake on order, a modern classic in my mind! The bottle is blue and so is the name, but it smells very much like moss and earth with some lemon and pepper thrown in.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #207 of 436
Interesting thread....lots of mall-spec popular choices, lots of exotics.

Anyway, two of my favorites are Aramis and Fahrenheit. My Dad and Grandpa both use Aramis, and it's one of the first I've ever tried...Fahrenheit's a little odd, in that to me the top notes smell like gasoline and freshly cut grass (smells like I just mowed the lawn), but I really like it, and get occasional compliments. That said, in my opinion, both of the aforementioned fragrances are a little too forward for work/everyday wear...I need something more subtle.

Given my top two choices, any suggestions for something a little more practical? I honestly like the way my Old Spice High Endurance deodorant smells, but wouldn't mind something a little more classy/sophisticated for everyday. Hope this is enough to go on..thanks in advance!!

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #210 of 436
Cologne is a huge interest for me and I do what I can to expand my horizons (because it competes with the head-fi budget!). The one big catch here is that, just like with headphones, my senses are probably only very sharp and perceptive in certain parts and totally dumbed down in others. I think I do have the nose/ear that allows me to be particular when it comes to these things, but I can't really, for the life of me, single out the individual notes/frequencies, in spite of having had aromatherapy as my training wheels for over 5 years. So the learning continues...

I guess my criteria over the last 6-8 years has been to avoid a certain cologne archetype. I get the feeling that I don't want a "proper" or "traditional" masculine cologne. I'm not sure where that impression came from, could be my dad going through three bottles of Egoiste, could be the Brut or Blue Stratos I've always seen around the house as a kid... but this is how I ended up wearing Narciso Rodriguez For Him this past year,and Paco Rabanne's BlackXS before that. And I'm sure that's why I couldn't commit to Terre d'Hermes in spite of how good it really is.

Having done that I guess I'm looking for more visceral/blatantly sexual scents going forward, just to further my idiosyncracy
biggrin.gif
I almost bought YSL Kouros last month, if you know what I mean...Asian, pale, geeky, meek, to spray Kouros all over that... LOL. I guess I'm also avoiding the one bottle I've always admired: nevermind my idiosyncracy, I absolutely loved John Varvatos when I sampled it at a Sephora, but that was five years ago, and I haven't had the budget to spend $100 based on a partial impression that's no doubt eroded over time :p

I don't think I can name an all-time favorite yet, I seem to like everything... everything that's not by Issey Miyake at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back