Cologne-fi
Jan 22, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #181 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danosaurus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone recommend a vanilla scented cologne for men?

This may help:

? Best strongest Vanilla masculine ?...BUT... - Basenotes Community

but keep in mind that these guys are with "acquired taste", sometimes may not be comprehensible by the majority of the population!
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #182 of 436
I'm currently using John Varvatos. Though my bottle doesn't quite give me the impression I got from the samples I tried at Sephora / Dr.B (from SA). The ebay seller I got it from is pretty big and legit, though I worry about how long it might have been sitting in the shelf at the warehouse. Be careful where you end up buying from.

Recently a friend passed on the l'eau d'issey sample he got to me cause he knew I'd been interested in it in the past. Not really liking it now though, that I have a chance to try it on and pay more attention to it.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #184 of 436
I'm testing the following colognes soon... I'll let you guys know the results.
smily_headphones1.gif

Creed Bois du Portugal
Creed Green Irish Tweed
Guerlain Habit Rouge
Guerlain Vetiver
Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
Hermes Terre D'Hermes
Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo
Lorenzo Villoresi Spezie
Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
Thierry Mugler A*Men
Yves St. Laurent M7

The last batch I tested--

Creed Angélique Encens
Creed Millésime Impérial
Creed Virgin Island Water
Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi
Lorenzo Villoresi Musk Oil
Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum

I'm excited to try more Villoresi, but I'm really eager to try Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille: "vanilla, spices, benzoin, frankincense, cedar, pink pepper, bergamot, Bulgarian rose and ylang ylang." It sounds like a combination of two or three of my favorite scents.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #186 of 436
I got a sample recently of L'Eau Bleue D'Issey, and its really good! Very masculine with hints of pepper and lemon, and what seems to me a soapy dry-down. Reminds me even a little about Mugler Cologne. Super long lasting, but from checking out basenotes this a rather weird scent.

Does anyone know a good place to buy Creed minis or samples? I really want to try Virgin Island Water and Original Vetiver, and let's be honest, every other Creed fragrance, but at $140+ a bottle, just not practical!

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #187 of 436
My uncle gave me a giant bottle of CK One. I think around 8 ounces.
I don't feel like getting it to see its size.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #188 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im interested in M7 and GIT...let me know how they are. I've heard GIT is basically a solid choice..but man is it expensive

After reading ALL the comments on how similar GIT to Davdoff Cool Water or Aspen for Men by Coty, I have all three of them and did a side by side comparsion (A/B'ing using Head-fi terminology
biggrin.gif
), and I will have to say all the reports are true, they are very similar indeed. Both CW and Aspen are dirt cheap in comparison. I personally would not buy GIT.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #189 of 436
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm testing the following colognes soon... I'll let you guys know the results.
smily_headphones1.gif

Creed Bois du Portugal
Creed Green Irish Tweed
Guerlain Habit Rouge
Guerlain Vetiver
Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
Hermes Terre D'Hermes
Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo
Lorenzo Villoresi Spezie
Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
Thierry Mugler A*Men
Yves St. Laurent M7

The last batch I tested--

Creed Angélique Encens
Creed Millésime Impérial
Creed Virgin Island Water
Lorenzo Villoresi Incensi
Lorenzo Villoresi Musk Oil
Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum

I'm excited to try more Villoresi, but I'm really eager to try Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille: "vanilla, spices, benzoin, frankincense, cedar, pink pepper, bergamot, Bulgarian rose and ylang ylang." It sounds like a combination of two or three of my favorite scents.

would love to hear your comments on these!

Here is my take on some of them from my stash:

Creed Bois du Portugal ***** gentleman like classic, graceful, masculine, subdued, and powerful.
Creed Green Irish Tweed *** clean, fresh, but way overpriced given Cool Water and Aspen for Men are readily available.
Creed Millésime Impérial * very light, floral, sweet. A little too feminine to my taste.
Guerlain Vetiver ***** All time classic! Best of all. So fresh, clean, yet not cloying. Can't top it ever.
Hermes Terre D'Hermes ***** Great new classic by Hermes. clean but not rigid, warm but not cloying, modern but not shallow, complex but not pretentious. Best day wear.
Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo *** extremely complex, mysterious, dark. A bit too much ginger note
Thierry Mugler A*Men * Yuck! burnt suger; heavy; cloying; ( I have a bottle, 99% full for sale if you are interested
wink.gif
)

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #191 of 436
Quote:

Hahah, now I'm really intrigued about A*Men. How do you feel about gourmand scents in general?

I hope GIT doesn't smell too much like Aspen... I've smelled that one in a few drugstores.
confused_face.gif

A*Men is the only one I tested. Probably will not venture into gourmand anymore. Food are great to eat, but put on my skin? just not so sure ...

GIT smells really like Aspen and Cool Water. There maybe some subtle differences but not worth the extra cost IMHO.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #192 of 436
I'm slowly making my way through the samples and I just put on Hermes Terre d'Hermes. WOW. I'm loving the orange element in the top notes. This fragrance smells like what the mall store scents (Banana Republic, Abercrombie, Hollister) are trying but failing to achieve. There is a slightly synthetic note, but it makes the scent smell more contemporary. I'll keep my nose on it throughout the night--I'm eager to see how it dries down. So far, a winner.

Edit: I'm back for the evening. Once it settled in, there was still the lasting orange scent, but something sweeter (flowery/woodsy) entered to compete with it. It's a sweet-and-bitter cologne where each whiff could pull your nose in either direction--to me, a sign of good balance. Very clean and refreshing. Great lasting power, too. Thumbs up!

Edit #2: And by orange, I meant grapefruit, of course (from looking at the ingredients).
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #193 of 436
Quote:

I'm slowly making my way through the samples and I just put on Hermes Terre d'Hermes. WOW. I'm loving the orange element in the top notes. This fragrance smells like what the mall store scents (Banana Republic, Abercrombie, Hollister) are trying but failing to achieve. There is a slightly synthetic note, but it makes the scent smell more contemporary. I'll keep my nose on it throughout the night--I'm eager to see how it dries down. So far, a winner.

TdH IS good.

My three most favorites (so far) given price and availability are: TdH, Vetiver Guerlain, and Carven Homme.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #194 of 436
I asked that question about samples, and I did some googling, found a reputable site: Perfume Samples, Perfume Decants and Vintage Perfumes - The Perfumed Court.

They have some absolutely impossible to find stuff, and price accordingly
wink.gif
. Still even at their slightly high prices, for the price of one bottle from a high end perfume house you can sample their entire line! From basenotes I read that the three women that do the decanting started off at basenotes and ebay, and have now joined up and gone 'pro'.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #195 of 436
vagarach, yep, I bought a few samples from one of the three women when she was still on eBay. All of the samples I just bought are from The Perfumed Court, and since I bought such a variety, they were mailed in three separate shipments, one from each person who had the cologne in stock. I'm no expert, but there's no question in my mind that these are authentic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back