College Football
Nov 27, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #466 of 628
Heh, the BCS makes for strange bedfellows. I'm sure Stoops will do his best.
biggrin.gif
In all seriousness, it should be a tough fought game. Both teams are not very fond of one another.

The key for me rests with the OU pass rush. Auston English (Big XII leader in sacks) is still questionable. The current Sooner D'ends are green after losing a different first string and rotating DE earlier in the year. The new guys really stepped up against the Pokes. If they show up again, OU could roll. If not...tOSU might have to "settle" for the Rose Bowl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brimstone
against the #1 team in the country?

In a year like this, that sounds like a misnomer. Last night while watching Missouri beat Kansas, who looked Mother Teresa tight the first half, my bud turns to me and aks, "Does that look like a number one team to you?" I replied, "they're as good as any this year" - not exactly a ringing endorsement on my part.

I did vote 'zou number one in my ballet though. It was tough over WVU, but the Tigers lone loss was a smidge better.

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #467 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I can't get any of those three to come, then I am rolling the dice with Art Briles. He doesn't give me the big splash and he has less college experience than I would like. However, he is the best Texas recruiter available, and in the end it is quality players that make a great program. I would insist on over-hiring on defensive coordinator though, if he is the guy. Briles can handle the offense.

A&M didn't listen to me, but Baylor did. It will be interesting to see whether he does better than Guy Morriss (or Mike Sherman!).

And shame on the Black Coaches Association for playing the race card...

Black Coaches Association questions Aggies' quick hire | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

How many black candidates did Ole Miss interview before hiring Houston Nutt in three days?

Can we please just stop trying to insinuate that A&M is a racist school? We hear that all the time here, but the facts are that the African-American population at A&M is larger than the allegedly-diverse University of Texas.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #468 of 628
It must be that time of the year. The BCA is generating headlines. They do have a point as far as the big picture is concerned. After considering the number of AA athletes in CF, it's odd that DI FBS claims what six? seven? AA head coaches. Something is out of whack there.

Anyway, here the issue has been chatted to death on local Sports radio, all day, every show...

Some have no problem with the current system. Some say minority interviews should be mandatory. I have no opinion for a solution. BTW Sherman, get your hands off Sumlin!
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #469 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I certainly think that is Mizzou and WVA both lose, and LSU wins the SEC title game, that it should play tOSU in the BCS title game, not Georgia. LSU's two losses were both in overtime. But why wouldn't one-loss VaTech go instead if they will the ACC?

I also have to say, that if Hawaii beats Washington this week by like 28 points, and LSU, Mizzou, WVA, and VaTech all lose, then I think the Rainbows deserve a shot at the National Title.

i'm actually sick of hearing about LSU from the football pundits. if they're as great as everyone thinks, they sure did not show it this season. too many close games and they were frankly lucky to win some of them.

which brings me to hawaii. yes, there's certainly an issue with their strength of schedule. but, i'm tired of hearing about how hawaii almost lost to some ostensibly bad teams (la tech, san jose st., nevada). if LSU, the "best team in the country" gets passes for winning close games, why not hawaii? and, i argue, hawaii's road games are totally unlike any other team's road games. it's hard enough to win conference games, let alone conference games on the road. but hawaii's road games are 3000 mile trips EAST, which is very difficult to do and to recover from. people complain that hawaii has an unfair home advantage, which is understandable. but that's one game for them...hawaii does it 4-5 times a season. kudos to the WARRIORS (they haven't been the rainbows since june jones took over)...let's hope they give UW a beating this weekend and make it to a BCS game...

so, is hawaii as good as LSU or west virginia or missouri? i don't know...probably not. but i think hawaii brings a lot of of intrigue and excitement to whomever they match up against...and they'd be much more fun to watch than, say, ohio state.

Quote:

Northwestern has one of the best fight songs there is. In the Big 10, I think only Michigan's is better. When things are going well, and the crowd is into it, it's very, very cool to hear it getting belted out.

Fun Northwestern fact #1: since Penn State joined the Big 10, they have won 2 conference Football championships. In that same time, Northwestern has won 3.

Fun Northwestern fact #2: 2 of the last 3 years Northwestern's QB (2 different ones) have led the Big 10 in passing, and the team has led the Big 10 in total offense.

Fun Northwestern fact #3: Since the college overtime system was put in place, NU has played in, and won, the most overtime games in Div. 1-A.

very cool NU facts, indeed. too bad the 'cats won't get a bowl invite this year...too many big 10 teams are bowl-eligible...strange. that loss to (gulp) duke did them in, unfortunately.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #470 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm actually sick of hearing about LSU from the football pundits. if they're as great as everyone thinks, they sure did not show it this season. too many close games and they were frankly lucky to win some of them.

which brings me to hawaii. yes, there's certainly an issue with their strength of schedule. but, i'm tired of hearing about how hawaii almost lost to some ostensibly bad teams (la tech, san jose st., nevada). if LSU, the "best team in the country" gets passes for winning close games, why not hawaii? and, i argue, hawaii's road games are totally unlike any other team's road games. it's hard enough to win conference games, let alone conference games on the road. but hawaii's road games are 3000 mile trips EAST, which is very difficult to do and to recover from. people complain that hawaii has an unfair home advantage, which is understandable. but that's one game for them...hawaii does it 4-5 times a season. kudos to the WARRIORS (they haven't been the rainbows since june jones took over)...let's hope they give UW a beating this weekend and make it to a BCS game...

so, is hawaii as good as LSU or west virginia or missouri? i don't know...probably not. but i think hawaii brings a lot of of intrigue and excitement to whomever they match up against...and they'd be much more fun to watch than, say, ohio state.

very cool NU facts, indeed. too bad the 'cats won't get a bowl invite this year...too many big 10 teams are bowl-eligible...strange. that loss to (gulp) duke did them in, unfortunately.

TOTALLY agree about Hawaii. What does a WAC team have to do to get a title shot? Didn't anyone watch Boise State beat Oklahoma last year???

And yeah, sadly, that pathetic loss, AT HOME, to Duke, it what killed Northwestern's bowl shot. Last year, 6-6 would have meant a bowl for sure. This year, in the B10, even 7-5 doesn't guarantee it. If OSU does go to the Rose, and Illinois gets left out of a BCS bowl, then there could be a 7-5 big 10 team that gets left out. Probably Purdue, since they faded at the end of the year.

And hmmmm...looks like I was right about Les Miles...why do coaches have to lie and say they aren't talking to another school when we all know damned well they are?

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #471 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm actually sick of hearing about LSU from the football pundits.

I'm pretty sick of it too. The thing about LSU, they are so impressive looking. Some of the other schools come close, but the Tigers are another level. They are probably the most impressive eyeball team I can remember since 95 Nebraska.

If you were to line up the top ten position by position, I'd predict the Tigers to beat everyone else by a minimum of ten points.

How the staff couldn't get them undefeated or with only one loss is beyond me. Maybe the SEC really is that good? I don't know if I buy that. We'll see during bowl season.

Nov 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #472 of 628
Look at LSU's two losses. Both in multiple overtime... one on the road at the hot team of the month and the other against a Heisman candidate's statement game. That's not exactly embarrassing.

I agree with viro on the last point though. It will be very interesting to see how the various conferences fare in the bowl season.

SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, Big East? Is it mathematically possible for all of those to win more than they lose? When we get the pairings, we need to try to figure that out.

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #473 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sick of it too. The thing about LSU, they are so impressive looking. Some of the other schools come close, but the Tigers are another level. They are probably the most impressive eyeball team I can remember since 95 Nebraska.

If you were to line up the top ten position by position, I'd predict the Tigers to beat everyone else by a minimum of ten points.

How the staff couldn't get them undefeated or with only one loss is beyond me. Maybe the SEC really is that good? I don't know if I buy that. We'll see during bowl season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at LSU's two losses. Both in multiple overtime... one on the road at the hot team of the month and the other against a Heisman candidate's statement game. That's not exactly embarrassing.

I agree with viro on the last point though. It will be very interesting to see how the various conferences fare in the bowl season.

SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, Big East? Is it mathematically possible for all of those to win more than they lose? When we get the pairings, we need to try to figure that out.

it's not that i disagree with what people say about LSU's talent or their potential. yes, they do look very impressive on paper and in theory. what gets me is that people continue to lavish praise on a team that frankly hasn't been a great TEAM most of the year. my only suggestion is that if LSU is so good, why do they lose and why do they play so many close games? if they're that much better than everyone else, as many argue they are, then shouldn't they be beating teams quite handily? either every team is magically playing out of their minds when they play LSU or maybe LSU isn't as great as many think. i'm leaning toward the latter.

as far as conference bowl wins go, i'm pretty certain that the big 10 will have a losing record. just my take on how the big 10 matches up with other conferences...

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #474 of 628
I concur. Eventually, you are what your results are. Many point to the close losses, but what about the close wins? It all evened out for me, so, in the end, I see the Tigers has a great team that could of been special. Throw them in with the others this year.

They are pretty banged up right now (who isn't?) so don't be surprised if UT beats them Saturday.

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #475 of 628
I think it's at least possible the B10 will do better in the bowls than people think. The Big Ten had the best OOC win percentage this season, IIRC. Certainly will depend on the matchups. And at least THIS will be decided on the field!

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #476 of 628
Quote:

I think it's at least possible the B10 will do better in the bowls than people think. The Big Ten had the best OOC win percentage this season, IIRC. Certainly will depend on the matchups. And at least THIS will be decided on the field!

partly b/c teams like tOSU had fluff OOC schedules, no? akron, youngstown, and washington. it's always difficult to guess how these inter-conference games between major conference teams turns out...for some reason the big 10 just doesn't seem to match up very well against the SEC, for example...or maybe that's just a false perception.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #477 of 628
Gentlemen, I'm disappointed. This is the last reg season CF weekend of the year! Surely, we have more to say than this? I can't believe the season is almost over.
frown.gif

Loui/Rutgers was a good game last night. I should of watched that instead of the no fun league.

Beside the CCGs, don't forget all the Pac rivalries Saturday. The Civil War could make for good viewing if you like defense.
cool.gif
And of course, ole Kugino can buy his BCS tickets if Hawaii handles U-Dub. You never know about Cal/Stanford or UCLA/USC....

As for the big clashes, I"ll take VT in the Acc. The Hokies are playing well right now, and much to my surprise, Glennon has improved, plus their stud LB and frosh QB are back for BC.

I'm not sure about the grand ole conference, because I've haven't watched UT recently. Anyone care to break it down?

UCF should win in the ConUSA CCG. Tulsa can't play a lick of defense.

As for the XII, flip a coin. It's an interesting match-up. Spread O vs a more traditional three tight end offense. Dont' be fooled, the traditional scores more points per game.
biggrin.gif
Both teams run 4:3's on the D side. However, OU has morphed more toward a nickel, bend don't break during the season, while 'zou gambles with blitzes from the backfield. Saturday night, it will be interesting to see how the D's game plan for the two powerful O's. I bet we see a reverse. Because of injuries, OU will blitz more, and because of OU's fantastic O-Line, 'zou will blitz less.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #478 of 628
ASU-UofA this weekend, lots of bowl implications in this game. Heck, a lot of the Pac-10 games are going to decide who goes to what bowl for the Pac.

ASU wins, it could be Fiesta time! If not, it'll be the Holiday Bowl, which I'd be happy with considering the expectations I had for this year. If they lose, they could be going to the Sun Bowl (boooo!)

Oh and for the ASU-USC game... That's the best I've seen USC play all year, and I've watched most of their games. They looked so much faster and more physical. They finally showed up as a contender late in the season.

At least with Erickson at the helm I know we won't get out-coached by UofA like Koetter had a tendency to. The O-line is the only concern, they're giving up a ton of sacks this year. I've never seen it this bad. Maybe it's the new system, because they're mostly all returning starters that were very solid in the past. It might rain (rain in Arizona?) so that would be in ASU's favor bigtime. Go Devils!

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #479 of 628
Yeah, the Pac 10 is really up for grabs!

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #480 of 628
Quote:

Yeah, the Pac 10 is really up for grabs!

not gonna happen, but i'd love to see ASU lose, UCLA upset USC, and UCLA go to the rose bowl. making the rose bowl after losing to notre dame...that would certainly put this whole college football season in perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back