College Football
Nov 6, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #421 of 628
The media is really lame. They have spent the past 2 days reporting the Franchionne rumors like it is news (we were talking about this 3 weeks ago), and now today they are all saying, "Oh A&M says it is not true, so never mind." I guess someone has to hit them over the head with a story before they run with it.

Let me clarify this for you...

Fran is definitely out. A&M is lying when they say his status will be reviewed at the end of the year. The decision has already been made, and the buyout and timing is being negotiated.

Tuberville is a serious candidate. If you read his comments yesterday, he said he didn't want to talk about this "for the next two weeks". That's a rather odd comment. Does that mean there will be an announcement in three weeks?

Nov 6, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #422 of 628
Yeah, the national web and print guys are always slow to report. Yet when they have a "Scoop" like Dodd claimed, they act like it's hot off the press.

I think the Nebraska win might start the Kansas Blitzkrieg of hype. Watch them politely lose to OkieSU Saturday.

Everyone's all over the Ducks. Let's see how the handle it. When my team is good, I worry more about the ones their supposed to win than the big match-ups.

Tommy Tubs and aTm sound like a good combination. Be warned Tommy, Guy Morris left his SEC job for the XII South. Dennis Fran did the same.
evil_smiley.gif
The South may not have CBS, but it chews out coaches like it does.

Edit/ No offense Brimstone.
smily_headphones1.gif
That is the last Sec snipe. Promise.

So if you were Byrne (sp?), who would you really go after?

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #423 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit/ No offense Brimstone.
smily_headphones1.gif
That is the last Sec snipe. Promise.

So if you were Byrne (sp?), who would you really go after?

None taken... you have a free pass all week.
icon10.gif

If I were Byrne, I would want to win quick. I would not want a five-year program or a coach that needs a learning curve. I would also be concerned about ability to recruit in Texas against the big three (Brown, Stoops, Miles). So, if I were Byrne, I would eliminate all of the coordinators, NFL coaches, and guys from smaller programs looking to move up.

I would also want someone who could command respect and fit in at College Station. That deosn't necessarily mean a Texan, but people must understand that A&M is different. Tradition is valued and there are certain protocols that must be followed. We need someone who will embrace those things.

Lastly, I want a clean program and I don't want to be embarrassed; conversely, I want someone who will get me some free (positive!!) press nationally and lift the program up during the next recruiting season.

I see three names on the various lists that could satisfy me:
Rich Rodriguez
Tommy Tuberville
Steve Spurrier

They all have the ability to come in and win next year with the kids that we have, while improving the recruiting effort almost immediately. If you press me to pick one, I would have to go with Tuberville IF Muschamp comes with him.

I am not sure Spurrier is a serious candidate, nor am I sure that I want him for this job. But if he is available, I would have to take a hard look at it. There is no question he is a great coach and he could put A&M on the map fast.

If I can't get any of those three to come, then I am rolling the dice with Art Briles. He doesn't give me the big splash and he has less college experience than I would like. However, he is the best Texas recruiter available, and in the end it is quality players that make a great program. I would insist on over-hiring on defensive coordinator though, if he is the guy. Briles can handle the offense.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #424 of 628
Pretty entertaining game last night between Central Michigan and Western Michigan.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #425 of 628
^
eggosmile.gif
Okay, you know you're hardcore if you watched that game.

Here's a question for Labcat and the other regs.

If you could have one coach for your program, who would it be? Let's add some criteria:

A) He must be a current CF head coach, no NFL or assistants.
B) Not in the same conference, so not your current HC or an admired rival.

I like Defensive HC's. Offense comes and goes, but those D's are always there for you.

Within that criteria, among the elite HC's, my choices are limited to Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, and Frank Beamer. (anyone I'm missing?) Saban is too flighty. Maybe he'll stay at Bamar for a decade, but one has to wonder if the NFL will tempt him again. The same can be said for Carroll though not to the same extent. So I'll go with Beamer. The guy has been loyal to VT and has done more with less. Carroll can throw a rock and hit a good football player in California.
--

Brim, JMO, but out of your choices, I would go RR. The guy is still young and has taken WVU to elite status. I think Tubs is a hell of a coach; part of me wonders if he can secure the next step. He hasn't filled Auby's case full of SEC championships. It can be done. Look at Spurrier's accomplishments at Florida. Spurrier's knock is his age. He would be a great quick fix. However, I would want a guy to stick around for a while.

Yep, I'd go RR.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #426 of 628
Rodriguez: Yes, I agree with all your points, and if it were RR I would be extremely happy. I just think Tuberville's previous connection to A&M puts him over the top, and I do stress that if I can't get Muschamp in the package as a future groomed replacement, then his value to me goes down a bit. That's how I balance RR's age with TT's.

Spurrier does have the age limitation, but his value to the program is so high I would take the chance. Keep in mind that quick fix is critical to me... my son is a freshman so only three years left. I want him to march in a championship game as a senior!

My vote for your question is Saban. I think Tressel deserves consideration. His teams are always well-prepared.

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #427 of 628
Every time I watch a WVU game, Pat White is getting nicked, especially after a bad play, only to look fine his next time on the field. I'm beginning to think the kid is soft, an attention whore, or a combination of both. Still, one can't knock a buck fifty rushing yards and oh so pretty winning TD runs.

That was an ugly game right down to the Moutaineer uniforms which are otherwise pretty sweet.

--

There's a big game in the Big XII this week. The Jayhawks are traveling to Stillwater, one of the toughest places to play in the conference. God help everyone else if their team ever takes the next step. Boone Pickens stadium will become an automatic L. With an average team, OSU's worst loss, at home, the last two years has been by six points.

I want to say the KU dream season encounters a bump this Saturday. However, the Jayhawks play sound football by minimizing turnovers and penalties. That may be the key to escaping.

Here's a tidbit. OSU's field is one of a handful in the country that runs East/West.

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #428 of 628
That stat about Kansas scoring over 50 points on 5 of 9 games, and over 60 twice, makes me thing they will beat OkyState about 91-34.

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #429 of 628
KU will win that one, but it should be a close game. My concern for KU would be looking past this game to the showdown with Mizzou in KC. They can't afford to do that in Stillwater. Yet, tu showed that OkSt can't close out games (even A&M showed that!) and KU can rank up points like a pinball wizard so better stayed tuned until the end if that one is close in 4Q.

Kyle Field runs North-South, I know that. Never thought about that tidbit before... I guess the idea is to keep the sun out of the faces of the teams?

If you had given odds three weeks ago on "first Big 12 coach to be fired", I bet Callahan and Fran would have been the favorites over Morriss. Baylor must want to get the jump on the Art Briles sweepstakes in case Leach heads to UCLA. Oklahoma will have to keep slapping themselves on the sidelines to stay awake against the Bears.

OSU better watch out this weekend and not look past the Illini to Michigan. The Illini are dangerous, despite what you read in this thread from certain Buckeye faithful.
wink.gif

Tech at tu: This one is worth watching for Big 12 fans.

Auburn at Georgia: I now have a keen interest in this game for some reason.
wink.gif

Texas A&M at Mizzou: God, we are so irrelevant that we even keep the #6 team in the nation off TV.
blink.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #431 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SOONERS!!!!!!!!

Ehhh yes, we Aggies had quite enough of that last week, thank you.
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #432 of 628
Heh, I didn't bust the Aggies chops, but a fellow OU fan? It's Sooners, not Sooners - Crimson n Cream baybee!
tongue.gif
cool.gif
I understand the mistake though. Ever since OU went to metallic flake helmets fifteen years ago, the hats look more Red than Crimson on the teevee. In real life, it's easier to make out the shade.

--

Brim, no-one knows why the Pokes built their field E/W. Pickens (renamed) is one of the oldest stadiums in the country. Northern, Central OK is flat country with heavy E/W winds during the transition seasons, so that's the reason a many a Poke will give. Again, truth is, no-one knows. The sun can be a major factor at BP. It's also a major source of ribbing material for OU fans.
evil_smiley.gif

Off the top of my head, I know The Colosseum and Husky Stadium encase E/W fields. Maybe Wyoming iirc? There's not many.

--

There's some great early games Saturday. Wake Forest travels to Clemson for a duel to determine the lone second place team in the Acc Atlantic division. Clemson has yet to play BC, so beat the DD's, and they control their own destiny.

How about Indiana @ Northwestern? The Wildcat fans can tell us how important that one is for their team.

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #434 of 628
At least it ain't Cowboys. That color looks like something that came out of a diaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back