College Football
Oct 25, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #346 of 628
Hey Brimstone Aggie, any fire to the smoke that surrounds the Tommy Tuberville speculation?

Also while lurking TexAgs, I found this video.

The Tech T-Shirt designer guy responds! Ah college, love the can of Naty. Another nice touch would be the gum on his face and size sticker on the t-shirt. Quality!

Edit/ better add that after 1:38, NSFW - profanity.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #347 of 628
Good video... I liked the battery shirt the best.

Tuberville... yep he is definitely on the list. He was a coordinator under Slocum before he took the Auburn job. We hear that Auburn is impatient with his inability to go undefeated in the SEC. So if they toss him out, he would be a real good candidate for us. Even if they don't, he might want to move to get away from the detractors.

A&M is also high on Will Muschamp, the Auburn def coordinator. I have heard people say they would like to get them both as a package.

So, in summary, yeah that rumor seems to be heating up.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #348 of 628
Tulsa yokel radio today repeated what you said. Said he hates the administration over there; wants out bad.

Just checked Coaches Hot Seat. He's paid well.... I think he is one heck of a football coach and would be a great fit at A&M. Then again, I thought the same thing about Fran. Up here, we thought Fran would have aTm competing for the South by now, considering his record with the Horned Frogs and that last good year at Bamar.

SMU is going to have a job open up too. Synchronicity? Some guys are just better under dimmer lights.

One other thing. If that Tennessee job opens up, that will be juicy add that to Nebraska, maybe Michigan. There might be some high profile schools on the market.

Oct 26, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #349 of 628
it's 13-0 hokies with 4 minutes left...i turn the channel to watch the baseball game...i turn back and it's 14-13!! BC dodges a huge one!

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #350 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's 13-0 hokies with 4 minutes left...i turn the channel to watch the baseball game...i turn back and it's 14-13!! BC dodges a huge one!

eek.gif
How did THAT happen?
rolleyes.gif

Mind you, if Boston College "runs the table" they'll probably end up playing LSU, and LSU--if they don't lose any more games--will flatten BC like a pancake at the BCS Championship Game, especially since that game this year is at the Louisiana Superdome, only 90 miles away from the LSU campus!

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #351 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
How did THAT happen?
rolleyes.gif

Mind you, if Boston College "runs the table" they'll probably end up playing LSU, and LSU--if they don't lose any more games--will flatten BC like a pancake at the BCS Championship Game, especially since that game this year is at the Louisiana Superdome, only 90 miles away from the LSU campus!

So just exactly HOW did LSU jump over Ohio State in your scenario? I think it's more likely LSU will lose again than OSU.

And Virginia Tech is a very high quality football team - BC not winning that game until late doesn't make them likely to be squashed by an LSU team that struggled themselves for quite some time with football Powerhouse Tulane
icon10.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #352 of 628
That was a quality win by BC. It was no small feat overcoming the environment to get those late scores.

Why is it that onsides kicks seem to always work now - even when everyone knows they are coming?

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #353 of 628
I enjoyed the game. It was my first time to seriously watch BC this year, and I always love watching the Hokies, who are probably asking a-lot of what-ifs this morning.

The football gods can be cruel. VT won the game for 59:47 minutes; damn shame for the Hokies. What's that old saying - prevent defense = prevent win. Ryan got in a groove as soon every down was a passing situation and VT rolled back their safties and started giving the WR cushion.

You can't blame Beamer. He's was probably thinking so what if they score taking the underneath stuff? It'll burn clock and my guys can recover the onside kick. What if's this mornin'.

Still, one has to credit BC for making plays late and staying patient, taking what the defense gave them. Winning on the road, in conference, is never easy. You take 'em how you can get them...or steal them.

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #354 of 628
I admittedly spent perhaps a bit too much time watching the World Series, but I was shocked to see BC suddenly pouring it on to win the game after 56 minutes of slacking off. Ryan (or at least what I saw of him) looked like crap until then. What happened? Hopefully this is not the "Laker light-switch" i.e. play hard only when absolutely necessary bug, or they will be in for a rude awakening soon, perhaps when they least expect it.

Meanwhile back on the west coast, Cal tries to rebound from the surprise beatdown by UCLA, while USC looks to make the best of their post-Stanford season in Eugene. At this point, I think it's Rose Bowl or bust for USC, as I can't envision how they could possibly jump back into the title game picture even if they win out.

With a bit over a month left, it looks like were heading for OSU vs. LSU in the Superdome, and another SEC murder of Brutus' boys. Or at least I see nothing to expect otherwise at this point. What? Like Michigan will actually get to OSU this year, riiiiight!
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #355 of 628
Sad Oregon won, because I do like SC alot... but I also like the idea of a pac-10 team still in the hunt. so... Roll on you Quacks!

update:
wow... cal's a disaster (not that ASU is playing mistake free game). both teams are playing like ****. go ducks! to Vols!

Oct 27, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #356 of 628
Thrilled to see the Ducks win. Change is good!

Also glad to see Georgia roll Florida.

Looking forward to OSU - PSU in a few mins. Have to root for the Bucks I'm afraid.

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #358 of 628
Well, our three little BCS conference cinderellas are doing just fine thank you very much. Let me give a hearty shout out to Boston College, Arizona State, and Kansas!

The only upset Saturday was that no-one was upset! That really hurt my Sooners' chances of making the big dance. I'm about to put a fork in that dream. So who should I root for? My football fan side would love to see LSU and Oregon go at it. My blow up the BCS side is thinkin' more BC and Kansas. Sure if they win out, they'll deserve it. But can you imagine fans around the country reacting to those two names in the title game?
evil_smiley.gif

--

Just submitted my little ballot (I do two fans polls by the way - TSN.com and ESPNU.com.) For all you guys who love to throw out "overrated", I suggest you try participating in a poll throughout the season. It's not easy if you take it seriously.

1. Arizona State - Cal is a better team than anyone the Buckeyes have played so I'll give the Sun Devils the lofty perch this week. I really like this team; very balanced; playing hungry.

2. tOSU - they may deserve number 1 for their impressive road domination so far. Still, have they really played an elite team? You realize the Bucks have yet to face a squad that has even come close to sniffing the top ten at any point this year? However, they're clinical and heady. Words cannot describe how impressed I was with the way they handled Happy Valley and the Joe Pa's . BTW Joe, hang it up. The number one team is in town. Go for it on 4 and 2 on their side of the field! The Problem with Penn State is that they play like they're still a big dog instead of the scrapper that once proud program has become.

3. Kansas - the Jayhawks are erasing doubters in the midland. In the last two weeks, they have won in the two of the toughest venues in the Big 12 - College Station and Boulder. Still, they haven't a played an elite squad yet.

4. BC - I'd rather be lucky than good, but they didn't handle their test as well as the top three. I doubt this team will make it undefeated. They don't pass the eyeball test. Plus, VT with Glennon at QB is not even a top 25 team.

5. LSU - in a just world, the Tigers should be no. 1. The four above them haven't played near the schedule. Talent wise, I don't think the other four can match them either.

6. Oregon - I'm still worried about their defense. USC may have more name clout than they should right now. For how tough Autzen stadium is, a national title team would of blown a frail looking SC out of the water.

7. Oklahoma - yeah, yeah Iowa State. Still, wins over Texas and Missouri are better than everyone else above them except LSU.

8. Missouri - the Tigers boast an impressive resume, but lost the chance for a truly huge win against OU. There could be a big time showdown with Kansas set up for the last week of the reg. season.

9. West Virginia - very impressive over Rutgers. Other than the USF hiccup, this team has been blowing people out consistently; problem is, their marquee wins aren't very jaw dropping.

10. Hawaii - frankly not a top ten team. But, credit the for being undefeated at this point of the year. I gave the warriors some love.

--

Watch out for Colorado in the next couple of years. Dan Hawkins has his team on the right track. After a 2-6 06, the Buffs are 5-4 for 07 with wins over Oklahoma and Texas Tech. They hung in against Arizona State and Florida State. Colorado will be back to their old ways, soon.

Wisconsin is the latest Big Ten team that will re-enter the top 25 (Harris) this week, only to most likely lose it the next. Penn State will drop out this week and join Illinois and Purdue as teams who entered, only to be knocked out by either Ohio State or Michigan.

USC may not make a BCS bowl game for the first time in five years! That is how incredible run has been. It's a real head scratcher. The talent on the team was highly rated. Still, there's the intangibles. No matter how big Patrick Turner is, he still has to catch the ball. No matter how gaudy Mark Sanchez' numbers were in high school, he still has to be able to read zone coverage and make the correct throw. Then there's the injury problem. No matter how many gazelles are in the backfield, if the big pullers are thin and aren't doin' their job...Oregon's slightly above average defensive line looked all world against the Trojan front. Trojan rb's were getting hit consistently at the line of scrimmage. It goes to show, no matter how well you prepare or recruit, the football gods and the minds of 18-22 year old men will have the final say.

--

Whew! That was a long one!
eek.gif
viro out!

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #359 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. tOSU - they may deserve number 1 for their impressive road domination so far. Still, have they really played an elite team? You realize the Bucks have yet to face a squad that has even come close to sniffing the top ten at any point this year?

That is such BS! The whole time leading up to the Penn State game all you heard was that OSU hasn't played anybody and that Penn State is their first true test. They smoke Penn State @ Beaver Stadium and now I'm hearing, "Well, that's cool but was Penn State really that good?" It's time to wake up and face reality...Ohio State is the best team in the nation. Period.

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #360 of 628
Period? They had more talent last year and went undefeated in the regular season and we saw how well that worked out at a bowl game. Their defense is rock solid, but their offense has major issues. Giving up 2 turnovers (and almost 3 if Davis had been smart enough to fall on the ball instead of trying to pick it up) to Michigan State in the course of 4 minutes? Absolutely unacceptable and not at all a part of the "best team in the nation".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back