Cold weather and headphones
Dec 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

StyleElements

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi. I'm on vacation in New York this week, and in the States until January, and my goodness is it cold. As the title suggests, I'm using my portable sets while out and about, and I wanted to hear from people who have visited or live in cold countries (cold enough for snow, etc.); is there anything I should know about using headphones when it's windy, occasionally wet and 1 degree Centigrade outside?

I'm using the Sennheiser Momentum and the Sennheiser IE80 at the moment. I wonder if the drivers and any metal bits on my gear will be affected?

Perhaps nothing at all changes, in which case that's fine and I will enjoy my audio on the go. Just curious. Thanks for reading!

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Okay - Rule of thumb is most electronics like it a bit chilly (1 degree Celcius isn't anything low enough to cause mechanical problems). IEMs when inserted achive close to your body temps within a minute or so. You may have to adjust your fitting method for proper seal until the tips warm up (again, maybe an extra minute). Your gear is safe bro.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 10
Where I live it is minus 15 C (5 F) at the moment, and have never even though about that as a problem for my headphones. The only thing you should worry about is temperatur changes. When you bring your equipment from cold to warm environments it will create condensation. At 1 C I would not think to much about it, but if it gets colder you might want to acclimate them when you take them inside.

At the moment HD25 II is my main portable headphone, and I use them in all sorts of weather. In one year we have about 160 days of rain (2250 mm) and  temperatures ranging from - 20 C in the winter to + 30 C in the summer. My HD25 are doing just fine after one year of this abuse.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 10
I am using Sony MDR V6 in the winter for almost 6 years now without it dying on me (fingers crossed). Given the long cable I tuck it neatly into my inner jacket pocket. The velour ear pads which I added (which are unbearable in the summer) keeps me warm in the winter.
gs1000.gif

Since they still work, I'm sure the cold is not an issue with these headphones
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Interesting! My questions have been answered.

Thanks for all your advice, and hello to all NYC head-fiers. It was just a tourist curiosity of mine, having only experienced hot weather in my time. Tonight there's supposedly some snow. I don't suppose it's good for headphones to get snow on them - fortunately, I can tuck my IEMs in under a hat.

Where I live it is minus 15 C (5 F) at the moment, and have never even though about that as a problem for my headphones. The only thing you should worry about is temperatur changes. When you bring your equipment from cold to warm environments it will create condensation. At 1 C I would not think to much about it, but if it gets colder you might want to acclimate them when you take them inside.

At the moment HD25 II is my main portable headphone, and I use them in all sorts of weather. In one year we have about 160 days of rain (2250 mm) and  temperatures ranging from - 20 C in the winter to + 30 C in the summer. My HD25 are doing just fine after one year of this abuse.

Thanks for the advice - I think next year, I might pick up a pair of HD-25 IIs as a throw-around, durable and portable set with great sound. I will also be careful about the temperature changes.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 10
Where i live it gets pretty easily -20 C in the winter time. I also have a Sennheiser IE80 and must say, that i have never experienced any problems with the drivers or the housing of the earpiece. Although i notice the cables do get pretty stiff. I think when i bought my IE80 i read some manual that advised not to use them in outside if there`s more than -10 C.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 10
I am using sennheiser momentum on- earand since end of octobre my headphones start to hear some whats look like satic and pop from my right ear when im returning home from school That i listen to my headphones for the day and it sound good once i am inside i just want to know if its normal or not

Give a complete explanation on why it does That and how to prevent it
Thank you and you can respound me in french or english

Users who are viewing this thread

Back