coffee gadgets...
Jun 11, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #196 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6RS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At wholefoods they have a delicious expresso blend in bulk, type nothern Italy, medium roasted. It tastes so well! A pound is 11.99.

nice. I'll have to try that one next time I'm at Whole Foods.

-Ed

Jun 11, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #197 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Mark Prince from Coffeegeek uses a Zojirushi dispenser. I use a plastic kettle and have not found any problems with any unwanted tastes. (the aeropress is plastic too) I've found that using filtered water makes quite a difference.

Yea filtered water is essential as well, I believe I mentioned that a few pages back as well. I currently have a 2 stage filter system I installed while back, KDF media, and Carbon Block. The chlorine and or chloramine along with the fluoride and other nasty junk from municipal water sources can easily ruin the taste of coffee and teas, not to mention health concerns.

As for the plastic taste, I guess it all depends on how sensitive ones palate is. The plastic kettle I had (forget the brand) changed the flavor of the water some kind of bad. It almost taste as bad as the water you buy in the store from those soft plastic (PETE) bottles.

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #198 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistat0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best way to make iced coffee? I heard at my local coffee place that they have a different method for brewing iced coffee so it tastes better.

There is a method of cold brewing coffee and there are some cold brewers you can buy for home use.

I've tried making iced coffee from a concentrated Aeropress brew. The change in temperature seems to bring out the bitterness in the coffee that isn't there when I drink it hot, so I've given up on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea filtered water is essential as well, I believe I mentioned that a few pages back as well. I currently have a 2 stage filter system I installed while back, KDF media, and Carbon Block. The chlorine and or chloramine along with the fluoride and other nasty junk from municipal water sources can easily ruin the taste of coffee and teas, not to mention health concerns.

As for the plastic taste, I guess it all depends on how sensitive ones palate is. The plastic kettle I had (forget the brand) changed the flavor of the water some kind of bad. It almost taste as bad as the water you buy in the store from those soft plastic (PETE) bottles.

I'm quite lucky to have decent tasting water from my tap. I run it through a Brita jug and use a plastic Tefal kettle. As far as I can tell the water imparts no discernable unwanted tastes to the coffee, even when I'm making very light brews. Some people find using metal in the brewing method imparts a metallic taste. I think the best material by far is glass.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #199 of 668
Quote:

Some people find using metal in the brewing method imparts a metallic taste. I think the best material by far is glass.

Maybe it's the acid or some other chemical. Stainless steel is chemically resistant, but not inert.

For example...
"The electrodes used for electroporation, electrofusion, and electrotransfection, as well as in electrochemotherapy should not interact with the object and release electrolysis products. We studied how far the stainless steel electrodes fulfil these requirements. The results showed that in the case of the exponential electric pulses with amplitude of 3 kV cm−1 and time constant of 0.5 ms, the stainless steel electrodes released ferrous ions to a concentration of several micromoles per liter. We determined experimentally the dependence of the amount of the released ferrous ions on the pulse parameters and on the ionic strength of the medium. It was shown that the released ferrous ions should not be ignored. They could be of importance for the bleomycin electrochemotherapy."

Or maybe...
"There is some dispute over whether the corrosion resistance of stainless steel can be enhanced by the process of passivation. Essentially, passivation is the removal of free iron from the surface of the steel. This is performed by immersing the steel in an oxidant, such as nitric acid or citric acid solution. Since the top layer of iron is removed, passivation diminishes surface discoloration. While passivation does not affect the thickness or effectiveness of the passive layer, it is useful in producing a clean surface for a further treatment, such as plating or painting. On the other hand, if the oxidant is incompletely removed from the steel, as sometimes happens in pieces with tight joints or corners, then crevice corrosion may result. Most research indicates that diminishing surface particle corrosion does not reduce susceptibility to pitting corrosion."

Okay, maybe something a little more intelligible...
"Nickel may be found in prepared foods (tinned foods) at markedly higher concentrations than the safe threshold laid down for hypersensitive patients. Some foodstuffs cooked in stainless-steel utensils attack the metal and thus contain much more nickel than when enamel or aluminum saucepans are used. Among the natural organic acids which may be responsible for dissolving stainless-steel, oxalic acid is the most active at equivalent concentrations."

Or, uhm... well... There *is* acid in coffee...
Coffee Chemistry and Acidity

Well, maybe I can't tell pKa from a bose tripod, but coffee made in glass definitely tastes better to me.

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #200 of 668
Quote:

There is a method of cold brewing coffee and there are some cold brewers you can buy for home use.

I've tried making iced coffee from a concentrated Aeropress brew. The change in temperature seems to bring out the bitterness in the coffee that isn't there when I drink it hot, so I've given up on it.

There's a reason why nearly all iced coffee is so heavily sugared and creamed.

I really like my Aeropress. Only complaint is that it's strength is it's weakness. It seems to make all coffee taste fairly similar.

And yeah, It's glass or plastic for me. I don't like metallic taste at all in anything. Even a teeny tiny bit.

-Ed

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #201 of 668
What about for steaming the milk?

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #202 of 668
Yes, that agrees with my experience with the aeropress.
Only on one or two occasions has the distinct coffee flavor been detectable.
This, I assume, is due to the pressure failing to be strong enough to extract the oils.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really like my Aeropress. Only complaint is that it's strength is it's weakness. It seems to make all coffee taste fairly similar.

-Ed

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #203 of 668
It gets the job done
2579764402_081fdbe96e.jpg

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #204 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that agrees with my experience with the aeropress.
Only on one or two occasions has the distinct coffee flavor been detectable.
This, I assume, is due to the pressure failing to be strong enough to extract the oils.

The Aeropress does not make espresso. It does, however make very good tasting brewed coffee. (I'm not knocking it, I use mine almost every day)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's how I use my Aeropress:
1. Boil filtered water.
2. Grind 14g (roughly to 2 Bodum scoops) coffee for drip or slightly finer.
3. I put the plunger in until the rubber bit is at '4', turn it upside down, then put the beans in. (the 'inverted' method).
4. Add water up to the top (should be just off the boil, by the time all the bubbles go it should be good to go)
5. Stir quickly with chopstick (only for about 2 seconds)
6. 'Un-invert' over a cup and press as fast it'll let you.

You should be able to get a strong enough brew with this method. You may have to vary the coffee:water ratio depending on the bean. The 175F-185F temperature recommended in the manual is way too low for brewing coffee and will make your brew taste generic. The other thing I can think of is that you may be buying coffee that is roasted quite dark.

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #205 of 668
So I was having my morning cup of coffee today and I realized two things. I need to drink better coffee and I need a nice coffee cup. That's right, a coffee cup. I am looking for the same feeling when I put a pair of good headphones on, enjoying them enough to warrant the money spent. Anyone have a somewhat different unusual coffee mug they use?

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #206 of 668
Aeropress looks cool...

I froth my milk with a frabosk Roma Creamer.
It works very well.

I have kinda laid off the coffee for awhile, in exchange for full leaf teas.

But I do love a good cup of Joe.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #207 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have a somewhat different unusual coffee mug they use?

Nothing beats hand-fired pottery; fab coffee mugs are to be had at many artist workshops. Get a set of 4 or 6! See e.g.

Stonepool Pottery

(I love the tall ones in the last row of photos).

If you don't want to shop on the 'net, in Cape May there are ceramic artists a plenty. Or Lambertville / New Hope if that's closer.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #209 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be in New Hope Tuesday!

Didja buy any mugs? If so, wrap in bubble and bring to the meet on Saturday. The hotel is providing coffee. I will bring one that my then gf (now wife) bought me on Cape Cod at a potter's studio 25 years ago that we later saw on TV in a Maxwell House commercial!

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #210 of 668
I've been lazy most of the year and quit roasting coffee. I recently got off the dime and started roasting again. Wow, I had forgotten how good coffee can be. I make it by the cup, using Melitta bamboo filter paper in #4 cones. Occasionally, I use my Aeropress too, but generally, the Melitta cones are less hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back