coffee gadgets...
Oct 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #586 of 668
Hmmm, I tend to keep it fairly simple these days, due to a lack of space, but on the bar are:
Grinders: Heavily modded Mazzer Major, Rancilio Rocky, Solis Maestro, Hario Slim, Porlex Mini
Espresso: Pressure modded, PIDed Rancilio Silvia, bottomless pf's, pressure gauges, VST baskets, custom tampers by Reg Barber and Thor Tampers etc etc
Brewed: 5 cup Hario syphon, Chemex, v60s, original Aeropress with multiple metal filters, bunch of French Press, Hario pouring kettle
Roasting: Modded Behmor, modded iRoaster
Last but not least, access to multiple world class roasters, many of whom are chums.
If I could only pick one setup: Aeropress, Able filter, Porlex Mini

My best experience lately, getting to take Mr Cosmic Ears @PhilGT on a coffee tasting in London a few weeks ago, that was organised just for us. :wink:

Yeah, I've been into this coffee thing for a while longer than audiophile :wink:

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #588 of 668
Among my Christmas presents today was an Aeropress. I look forward to seeing what it can do.

So many things!

http://worldaeropresschampionship.com

I would recommend buying a couple of metal filters; the paper ones, easy as they are, don't let some of the coffee oils pass through, so it lacks a little depth. Also, don't use it for espresso; although it says it can do espresso on the box... it really can't.

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #591 of 668
Yep, that's how I've been doing it. I ignore the numbers on the side, as it doesn't make enough for 4 cups unless you like your coffee really diluted or use very small cups. A full load for a good big mug, with a little hot water to dilute.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #592 of 668
  Just had a few tries with the Aeropress, using the supplied paper filters, and the results are encouraging. When I get home, I'll order the metal filter and use that.

The metal filter has arrived, as a very quick replacement for the empty packet that came through my letterbox yesterday.

Now I have a stack of several hundred unwanted paper filters, as supplied with the Aeropress. I wonder if there's an alternative use for them...

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #593 of 668
The food market at St Pancras Station in London has started selling cold brew coffee, as well as the excellent Monmouth coffee beans.

So I bought some, and now I have a bottle of cold brew to try tomorrow morning. Any fans of this (fairly) new coffee fad?

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #595 of 668
Well, this stuff is made by a company called Sandows, and I think it's a bit insipid. Diluting it further could only be a bad idea.

I don't think it's my kind of thing, but at least now I know.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #598 of 668
Can't beat a good french press --- the only trouble with that method is when you are serving up cups for more than 2-3 people --- either need a huge french press or need to serve a couple, then have the rest wait 5 minutes for their cups....

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #599 of 668
I love the handpresso Nick N referred to, I use mine with the ese pods because it makes travelling easier and no tamping issues.

I also have a minipresso which is even more compact, but not quite as good (only half the pressure and ground coffee only, no pod option...)

both are remarkable kit though...

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #600 of 668
I made some cold press coffee today with the Aeropress. That was a quick version, though, taking only about 20 minutes. I only used supermarket beans this time, but it was damned good!

Now I have it set up to very slowly drip some cold coffee overnight and that should be even richer. If that's a success, then I'll use some serious quality beans for the next experiment.

I have used various methods of making coffee over the years and the Aeropress knocks the bollocks off all of them. I used to use a porcelain filter cone, and ran the coffee through the filter twice, but that meant that you had to keep the receptacle warmed somehow, or you got a rich but lukewarm result. The Cafetiere/French Press has never really done it for me, producing a more bitter, greyish-brown brew.

The Aeropress gets a similarly rich result to twice-filtered, but it does the job very quickly, losing less heat. And if you fill your cup with hot water (emptying it just before pressing coffee into it, naturally!), that cup of coffee will stay hot 'til you've finished drinking it. Unless you're my dad, who has the habit of leaving cups of tea and coffee until they are stone cold, then drinking them anyway.

The best thing about the Aeropress is that it takes almost more time to dry than it does to clean. And the drying time is only a few seconds' wiping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back