coffee gadgets...
Jan 5, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #602 of 668
I'm just back from visiting the folks over Christmas, and coming home to the kind of coffee that you get from the Aeropress is wonderful.

My sister has one of those capsule machines and it just isn't as good...

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #603 of 668
I'm just back from visiting the folks over Christmas, and coming home to the kind of coffee that you get from the Aeropress is wonderful.

My sister has one of those capsule machines and it just isn't as good...

I have a higher end tasamo. No comparison to my aeropress. Although the tasamo is very good for what it is. The bar code system really does put kuregg to shame, it can foam, and a just pressure, and water depending on what the code tells it to do. But the coffee sits in the packs pre ground for a long time, ends up slightly plasticy and fake tasting. Despite being a semi decent brand. Then all the waste from the packs.

Can't even touch even my simple aeropress with fresh ground to serve, local roasted coffee. Just uses a simple tiny paper filter (you can get reusable metal ones)

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #604 of 668
I have a higher end tasamo. No comparison to my aeropress. Although the tasamo is very good for what it is. The bar code system really does put kuregg to shame, it can foam, and a just pressure, and water depending on what the code tells it to do. But the coffee sits in the packs pre ground for a long time, ends up slightly plasticy and fake tasting. Despite being a semi decent brand. Then all the waste from the packs.

Can't even touch even my simple aeropress with fresh ground to serve, local roasted coffee. Just uses a simple tiny paper filter (you can get reusable metal ones)

I've bought the metal filter for the Aeropress and would recommend it.

Meanwhile, I am about to try roasting green coffee beans for the first time ever. Okay, dry-frying them, rather than roasting. Fingers crossed!

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #605 of 668
  Meanwhile, I am about to try roasting green coffee beans for the first time ever. Okay, dry-frying them, rather than roasting. Fingers crossed!

Hmm... uneven visual results, despite regular stirring and shaking. I will try a lower heat next time.

When the beans have cooled down, I will report back on the flavour. They are Ethiopian beans from a company called Rave, who are new to me, bought from Amazon. 

I've tried coffee from many different countries and the Kenyan/Ethiopian beans are definitely my go-to for a top brew. Mind you, for something very different, I sometimes have Monsooned Malabar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsooned_Malabar

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #606 of 668
Okay, first taste. Very aromatic! On this evidence, you can easily tell the difference between pre-roasted and freshly-roasted, even if the former come from a quality supplier. There's a slightly over-roasted taste (my fault!), but overall a success, especially for a first attempt.

Future cups should only get better. 
redface.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #609 of 668
Second attempt at coffee roasting/frying. I started on medium heat, then raised the temperature in two steps 'til the husks started cracking.

I also used a very thick-bottomed saucepan, to even out the heat distribution and stirred the beans more than I did last time. A much more even-looking result.

This batch will get its first grind for tomorrow morning's cuppa - I will report back.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #610 of 668
  Second attempt at coffee roasting/frying. I started on medium heat, then raised the temperature in two steps 'til the husks started cracking.

I also used a very thick-bottomed saucepan, to even out the heat distribution and stirred the beans more than I did last time. A much more even-looking result.

This batch will get its first grind for tomorrow morning's cuppa - I will report back.

This is probably a dumb question but, do you have to turn them? If so, how do you do that?

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #611 of 668

This is probably a dumb question but, do you have to turn them? If so, how do you do that?

I've been roasting/frying my first packet of coffee about 100-150g at a time. What I do is put it on low heat for a few minutes, to get the base of the pan hot and also warm the beans without precipitating 'first crack', which is when the husk of the bean pops away from the bean itself. You can stir it a bit at this point, just for peace of mind.

Then you turn up the temperature for actual roasting. My electric hobs have six settings, so to start roasting proper, I click up from 2 to 3 or 4 (still experimenting, but 3 seems to work alright). Then you have to stir and shake pretty much all the time, through the first crack and as the beans brown.

As I prefer a medium roast, I don't go to 'second crack', which is Espresso territory (and heading towards charcoal if you're not vigilant). Then I turn them out onto a large baking tray so they cool quickly. Bear in mind that, like toasting peanuts or cashew nuts for a recipe, coffee beans are dense, so they will continue cooking on residual heat for a bit after you take them off the actual heat source. Therefore, cooling them quickly is worth preparing for. A colander is another solution, as you can shake it around to cool the beans and a lot of the husk will fall through the holes into a strategically-placed container (or the sink).

Then I go out into the back yard and pour them from one bowl into another, so the breeze can carry the husk away. Then store, uncovered, for a day or two before sealing. This is to with de-gassing, as CO2 leaks out of roasted beans and is best left to float away, although there is much discussion on how long you leave the coffee to do this.

I have finished my initial pack of green beans, but have ordered more - another lot of Ethiopian plus a pack of Monsooned Malabar. Can't wait!

There are lots of different methods you can look up online, including the use of modified popcorn makers.

I am still fumbling my way towards better results, with a few hints taken from the internet. I may fool around with some other methods, just for the fun of it. But even my first unevenly-roasted batch was memorable! It is the aroma that hits you when you grind a serving of beans that just smells more pungently coffee-ish.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #612 of 668
Forgot to mention - a couple of months ago, I spotted a burr grinder discounted to pretty much half price. It is a DeLonghi, which isn't high-end or anything fancy, but the discount brought it into blade grinder price range. I'm more than pleased with it!

My old Bodum blade grinder now does duty making coriander-chilli sauce for bhel puri, or sometimes blitzing spices or nuts.

Behind it in the cupboard is a Starbucks blade grinder. It used to be my 'work' grinder, while I had the Bodum for home use. Now that's pretty much the only thing I'd ever willingly pay money for in a branch of the well-known tax-dodging bean-murderers. Basic, reliable, and about £5-£10 cheaper than any other model available in the UK at the time I bought it. Shame they can't make drinkable coffee...

But burr grinding is worth going for, if the price is right.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #613 of 668
Bodum vacuum guy myself :D, smoothest coffee you can make!

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #614 of 668
I've always liked the french press the best but also use poor (pour) over for the mornings when I don't want to deal with the press method.

I need to try some of these other ways to compare.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #615 of 668
I've always liked the french press the best but also use poor over for the mornings when I don't want to deal with the press method.

I need to try some of these other ways to compare.

Heh on those mornings I use my tassamo T65

Although I do like percolator coffee. I have 5 different stove top ones. It's no espresso machine, but it's decent enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back