coffee gadgets...
Feb 20, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #436 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice. I'm gradually building my coffee gadget collection - I've got the wife persuaded to let me buy a roaster, so as soon as they are back in stock at Sweet Maria's, I'm getting one of these:

genecafeanglemed.sm.jpg

I upgraded to that from a SC/TO setup. Much better control over the roast, although I have/get to roast twice as often now. It's a great piece of gear and hopefully a step up from the heat gun!

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #437 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's pretty sweet where did you find that?

Picked up the "old school eco-friendly coffee sock drip gear" on one of my trips down to Venezuela while visiting the in-laws. I’ve used it a few times, but having a rancilio silvia you can guess who gets all the use
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #438 of 668
I've had the same, Olympia Cremina since 1991 - built like a Swiss tractor. I've replaced the gasket set three times during that period (coming up on 20 years old). I'm certain if I averaged it out I've pulled at least one shot a day over the period of owning it. That's over 6000 shots (actually I drink doubles so 12K!!). They're still being made essentially exactly the same as they were back then (I think they've added a pressure gauge), but the price has gone way up since I bought mine. I think I've paid for it many times over in savings on buying $3 lattes. I use a Rancillio Rocky burr grinder, which does a fine job. I've been using caffe Vivace for the past five years as I've found no better coffee (and there's plenty to be had in my town). They roast locally here in Seattle and most of the time I'm buying beans that were roasted within days of my buying it. The best drip I've had came from my buddy, Zander's machine, which was bought out by Starbucks. The Machine is called "Clover" and if you ever get a chance to try some drip from one, give it a shot. Z always had some exotic beans at the shop to savor and that was an intoxicating combination with his brilliant machine. I'm not fond of Starbucks roasts so don't how well it fairs there...check it out though, it's an amazing machine!

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #440 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Attended a latte art class today:

IMAG0058.jpg

Was definitely challenging, but I now have a few basic exercies so I can practice more at home.

I do wish I had a decent machine though
frown.gif

Very cool!!

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #445 of 668
Mar 2, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #446 of 668
That's a beautiful machine dfkt! What grinder are you using and is it doing the machine justice?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice art nsx_23. Pouring latte-art is damn funny. My brother took some photos for something in school while I was pouring yesterday:

tumblr_kynp9sgaZD1qzyacvo1_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_kynp9dOq8a1qzyacvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_kynp8y24qP1qzyacvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ky1c5voc5c1qzyacvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ky1c47OkUz1qzyacvo1_500.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #447 of 668
Thanks Krmathis, and nice foamy flower, Tjinez.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been using that Swiss-made Solis grinder (low-gear, conical burr) for years, the one you see in the photo. I like it cause it grinds into a receptacle and doesn't make any mess, unlike most open grinders. It sure did the Pavoni justice, and seems to work for the Ponte Vecchio as well - considering I already like the taste of the Ponte Vecchio's juice more.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #448 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has arrived...

_MG_9042_0_1_tonemapped.jpg

Very nice rig! Dude, you need to get a Thor Tamper for that setup! They're hand made by a guy named Les Albjerg. When I ordered mine he wasn't really on top of his website so I'd suggest emailing for current stock if anyone is interested. Here's my spalted maple tamper he made (I really love the dramatic figuring on this one):

SpaltedMapleTamper.JPG

Great pics of latte class too!!! I'm going to cup one right now!!!

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #449 of 668
Tjinez, how did you pour that?

Since I have a crappy el cheapo 1 boiler espresso machine, I now use a moka pot and a stove-top double mesh milk creamer when practicing latte art.

tiamo_creamer_01_01(2).jpg

My instructor recommended it to me.

I want to become much better than what I am now. I am completely hooked on the whole latte art thing now.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #450 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has arrived...

How are you making out with the Lusso? It seems like a pretty neat machine for the money, though I've read some less than flattering comments about their quality control on new machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back