coffee-fi
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #212 of 425
Quote:

A Hot Mocha with a shot. Its from one of my favorite local coffee shops. This pic is old (took it over a year ago), but I love this place. I just wish it wasn't far..

I thought I was having a flashback from the recreational drugs I did in the early 70s. Then I realized it was a photograph of a recreational drug from early 2012.

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #213 of 425
Making my morning brew.  Today it's Counter Cultures 1922 Mocha & Java blend via CleverCoffeeDripper.

Apr 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #214 of 425

Looks like a cell phone camera?

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #216 of 425
Quote:

Looks like a cell phone camera?

I haven't used a "regular" camera in at least four years.  

It's funny; I purposely put a robe on because I knew one of you would try to find a reflection of me in the photo. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #217 of 425
Quote:

I haven't used a "regular" camera in at least four years.  

It's funny; I purposely put a robe on because I knew one of you would try to find a reflection of me in the photo. 

THX for that robe detail. The great one was the guy who reflected himself in a mirror in a photograph of a dinning table for sale on E-bay.
eek.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #218 of 425
I'm getting into coffee for the first time in my life and I am anxious to find the differences in flavors of the bean from different climates. I liked the coffees from the central American countries (Costa Rican/Mexican/JBM) and Hawaii. The French roasts are too strong. I am using a Kuerig machine with a K cup and have been buying 1/2 lb samples at a local International store in Cincy (Jungle Jim's). Can someone offer a site to learn about the different coffee growing regions and their climates? I'm curious to see what impact the different climates have on character of flavor.

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #219 of 425
This could be a good place to get started: http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #221 of 425
Quote:
I'm getting into coffee for the first time in my life and I am anxious to find the differences in flavors of the bean from different climates. I liked the coffees from the central American countries (Costa Rican/Mexican/JBM) and Hawaii. The French roasts are too strong. I am using a Kuerig machine with a K cup and have been buying 1/2 lb samples at a local International store in Cincy (Jungle Jim's). Can someone offer a site to learn about the different coffee growing regions and their climates? I'm curious to see what impact the different climates have on character of flavor.

The roast in French Roast just refers to the darker bean resulting from the amount of time the bean is roasted. The sugar in the bean becomes caramelized thus making the taste seem more strong. If one is ever to experience white middle eastern coffee, they have blond roasts where it seems the bean is either roasted very little or not at all. The coffee is clear yellow/white like tea yet very strong with caffeine, yet you would not know it from the taste.

As it turns out it is really the altitude that the bean ripens at which determines the caffeine level and the roast affects the taste in general. At sea level the beans get a lot of oxygen thus ripens fast, at high altitudes more caffeine is produced due to an extended ripening in process. You can actually have dark roast coffee which taste strong but has very little effect. This is why the high mountains of South America are so good for coffee production, the soil and thin air.

Cardamom can also be added to middle eastern coffee and due to the light roast takes over the taste.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #222 of 425
That answers some of my questions, thanks RCM. How does the amount of moisture impact the flavor? Soil types? I'll start digging on the site suggested and thank you guys.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #223 of 425
Quote:
That answers some of my questions, thanks RCM. How does the amount of moisture impact the flavor? Soil types? I'll start digging on the site suggested and thank you guys.

That's all I know about coffee..lol

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #225 of 425
Quote:
I spend about $1200 a year going to star bucks. i dont really care what beans they use as long as it has three pumps of chocolate and 160 degree milk :)

That's the equivalent of saying "I spend $1200 on iTunes and only listen on Beats-by-Dre.  I don't really care about sound fidelity so long it's loud and has bass.".

There's nothing wrong with that, but it isn't "coffee-fi".

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back