coffee-fi
Mar 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #181 of 425
My cold brewing is done with a v60 filter holder. Use half the amount of water normally used and add the same weight in ice to the pitcher or glass. The hot coffee hits the ice and cools down. I'm surprised by how good the coffee made this way is.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #182 of 425
There's a coffee shop here that has a Yama or similar, but for display only possibly. It's one of those up-market places that roasts its own coffee, has comfy chairs, sells equipment and even has a private room. I usually order beans online, but when I forget I sometimes go there instead. They had Yemen Mocha for $14/100g ($62/pound or $3.90/ounce) which was too tempting despite being 3x the usual amount I pay for good beans.

I've been thinking about trying cold brewing but it would tempt me too much to drink coffee all day and I need to stick to no more than 1 or 2 cups a day.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #183 of 425
Cold-brewed coffee is a bit too easy to drink - it's just so smooth and it doesn't even need sugar...the bitterness is almost non-existent. I've even read one recipe where the author says to add a small pinch of kosher salt (if it's w/o milk, just ice) and says "trust me." I haven't tried it, but cold-brew is the new frontier for me. I went back to Starbuck's last night and had what I used to get (iced mocha) and it was not enjoyable, just a total sugar bomb. I knew it was in the past, of course, but having gotten accustomed to unsweetened cold-brewed coffee, its sugary taste was just awful. Starbuck's is like drinking cheap white zinfadel while cold-brew is a nice malbec. Or something along those lines.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #184 of 425
Quote:
My cold brewing is done with a v60 filter holder. Use half the amount of water normally used and add the same weight in ice to the pitcher or glass. The hot coffee hits the ice and cools down. I'm surprised by how good the coffee made this way is.

This is not cold-brewed coffee. Cold-brewing uses cold or room-temperature water. This reduces the amount of acid released by the beans by about 2/3 and makes for a much smoother cup of coffee. The coffee must soak in the water for anywhere from 12-24 hours (but I'm sure there are other recipes that call shorter or longer soak times). It is truly an awesome way to make coffee - I'm using robusta and it tastes fantastic at  slightly under 4 dollars a pound (especially with some chicory added - I can't recommend the chicory enough as it adds a bit of a caramel-like flavor to it. If you've ever been to Cafe du Monde in New Orleans' French Quarter, than you know what I'm talking about).

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #186 of 425
Quote:

I've been thinking about trying cold brewing but it would tempt me too much to drink coffee all day and I need to stick to no more than 1 or 2 cups a day.

If it's because of acidity see above, cold brewing greatly reduces that. Not sure how the caffeine compares with hot water methods of extraction.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #187 of 425
I use an Iwaki to make my wife's cold coffee.  It takes about 2 minutes to set up and about 2hrs to make a batch.  It's a true cold extraction so while it takes a while to make coffee, the results are fantastic:  smooth + low-acid content.

I believe it's ~$70 (after shipping) from Ebay sellers.  There are more expensive units with variable drip controls but I've had good success with the Iwaki so far so I'm not looking to upgrade yet.

Quote:

What method do you use to cold-brew?  Cold brewing is one of the few areas I have not yet explored.

I've been eyeing the Yama for a while but can't figure out where the heck I would put it (1/3rd of the counter is already full).  

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #188 of 425

This was the Coffee I had this AM.

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #189 of 425
Here is my method for cold-brewed coffee. There are many ways to do this, but this is what I do and I think it's pretty damn good. If you decide to use Arabica beans, I suggest getting a lighter roast.

• Put 500 grams (about a pound) ground robusta and 10 tablespoons of ground chicory into a large pot or container that has a lid.
  • Add 1.5 liters cool/room temperature water.
  • Stir until all grounds are soaked and cover.
  • After about 15 minutes, stir again to make the partially-soaked coffee that has floated to the top sink.
  • Wait 24 hours.
  • Strain grounds from coffee using a fine mesh filter (or whatever device is handy) into a receptacle with a lid or cap.
  • Place in the fridge and keep cold.
  • When making iced coffee, mix brew with equal parts water or milk over ice OR heat coffee to desired temperature and prepare as desired. Add sugar to taste (I use none).
  • In your mind, thank the city of New Orleans and enjoy!

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #190 of 425
Thanks for procedure.  I am definitely going to try this.  With summer approaching, I definitely want iced coffee.

Quote:
Here is my method for cold-brewed coffee. There are many ways to do this, but this is what I do and I think it's pretty damn good. If you decide to use Arabica beans, I suggest getting a lighter roast.

• Put 500 grams (about a pound) ground robusta and 10 tablespoons of ground chicory into a large pot or container that has a lid.
  • Add 1.5 liters cool/room temperature water.
  • Stir until all grounds are soaked and cover.
  • After about 15 minutes, stir again to make the partially-soaked coffee that has floated to the top sink.
  • Wait 24 hours.
  • Strain grounds from coffee using a fine mesh filter (or whatever device is handy) into a receptacle with a lid or cap.
  • Place in the fridge and keep cold.
  • When making iced coffee, mix brew with equal parts water or milk over ice OR heat coffee to desired temperature and prepare as desired. Add sugar to taste (I use none).
  • In your mind, thank the city of New Orleans and enjoy!

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #191 of 425
Let us know if you like it, eh? One more thing, I've seen one person recommend a very small pinch of kosher salt (yes, salt) if it's iced coffee without milk. The guy who wrote the article said "trust me." I haven't tried it, but maybe you will be the proverbial guinea pig? Cheers!

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #192 of 425
Salt cuts down on the bitterness of coffee.  Shocking, but it does work.

Quote:
Let us know if you like it, eh? One more thing, I've seen one person recommend a very small pinch of kosher salt (yes, salt) if it's iced coffee without milk. The guy who wrote the article said "trust me." I haven't tried it, but maybe you will be the proverbial guinea pig? Cheers!

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #193 of 425
My favorite coffee style is still Vietnamese.  Tried it as a kid and fell in love with it.  Something about the bitterness clashing with the sweetness of the condensed milk.

Still, I try not to drink too much coffee.  Caffeine doesn't do much for me, so its all empty calories for me. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #194 of 425
You can save a pot of nasty, bitter hot coffee with a teaspoon of salt. I think it acts as a kind of emulsifier, I don't recall, but I did see a thing on it on Japanese TV. I did try it with coffee that had gone cold and bitter and it did work.

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #195 of 425
Vietnamese coffee is very tasty, but my body is telling me to lay off sugar. The cold-brew allows me to continue enjoying coffee without the sweet stuff. I may try the pinch of salt thing today as an experiment. I no longer drink alcohol, so coffee is my social (actually, usually anti-social) beverage of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back