Coby CV185, Ultra Budget Portable Headphones
Feb 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jant71

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey All,

Shopping on JR.com the other day, I grabbed a pair of Sennheiser earphones try out. They were $10 off so in true Head-fi spirit I did not just save the cash but used it to try this phone which was $9.99 free shipping here in the US. Coby CV185 Folding Deep Bass Stereo Headphone in Corded Headphones at JR.com $9.99 and they looked pretty slick, so what the heck!

These are them...
CobyCV185Front.jpg

cv185.jpg

Quick shot of them next to the Denon P372
P1010024-1.jpg

The Price: $5 - $10 at various retailers.

Description: High value phone with good traits. Light, stylish, folds flat and up, output levels tames hiss and plays well with most portables. Bassy, fun consumer sound that performs above it price level. Moderate isolation similar to M750, P372 level and a five foot cable with a recessed friendly straight plug. More normal packaging instead of claims of Super Bass, Turbo Bass and such. Just "Deep Bass" which is an accurate claim as them reach lower toward sub-bass than quite a few portable phones.

Some Thoughts: Quite a similar phone to the Denon P372 both in form and function. I find the Coby better looking. They are a bit lighter and a small notch below in build quality though the cable is thicker and stronger on the Coby. The Coby also fold flat while the P372 does not.

Soundwise they are right behind the Denon. Slightly less resolved/refined. They have a bit more bass and treble out of the box and improve some as they burn in. The soundstage and frequency extension beat the P372 with similar treble reach but lower bass reach. They are a step bigger sounding due to the lower reaching bass and more distant vocals. The Denon are known to be more in your face. The Coby place you about 3 more rows back. They also share well layered bass that is fairly quick and agile while also being slightly thicker and heavier. A good balance that will please most people. They also have a similar tone/coloring, less accurate striving for fun enjoyability. I personally find the Coby a bit more fun.

I have replaced the stock pads with foam pads. I wanted to do this with the Denon to make a slimmer profile phone and take some warmth away from both the sound and the pads. This worked better with the Coby since they are less in your face and don't lose as much soundstage. Now I find them just a bit better than the Denon. Same size soundstage but still reach lower and the bass notes sound a bit tighter.

To sum it up, these little phones are worth starting a thread about and more than worth the $10. Always good to have an option in the cheap/replaceable/worry free category that performs well.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 8
It's true these are decent headphones especially for $10. On a trip to Washington D.C a bunch of people with me got these from a mall we were at, with a bunch of free stuff for $20 and they were all saying these sound amazing. but of course i had my jvc ha-rx700's and they were felt modded so i had to compare. I thought the sound was very blended not very seperated and the mids stood out the most but this was from a walkman cd player with bass boost on. but for $10 and a little eq these could be awesome portables.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Bought a pair of these about two months ago just so I could have something that sounded pretty good for the price and I wouldn't get upset over if stolen/lost.

But just this week the left can's sound dropped in volume to the point where hardly any sound comes out at all.

I really liked the fit and design of these (for $12 how could I go wrong?), but a set of headphones are worthless if sound only comes out of one side.

Looking now to Sony, Koss or Panasonic (maybe Senns) for a replacement pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back