cnet is dumb
Oct 31, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 24
If you really want to find out who the cnet reviews are geared toward ,just take a ride to your local Best Buy(Ewwwh, yeah I know! be honest you buy stuff there). I dare you to not go into a hysterical fit of laughter at some of the questions people ask (& quite often, the reply from the sales clerk). While, the cnet reviews are pretty simplistic, there appears to be a mass majority of people who find anything beyond an electric toothbrush sophisticated & confusing technology. I often wonder if some of them need a schemematic to show them how to plug a three prong plug into an electrical wall outlet. ("Honey, would you go downstairs & switch off the breakers so I can hammer this plug into the wall! It's not fitting right!")

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #17 of 24
I used to use Cnet as my one stop everything review site
frown.gif

But that was before I realized how little they actually knew about each product. Now I try to avoid it.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I am going to sound really PC on this one but I really do not care: Can we please stop using the word "dumb" to describe what we consider stupid? I happen to teach a handful of people that are not what one would consider "mainstream", and using that word really annoys me. Is our vocabulary really that primitive that we cannot find another word that is more accurate?

It depends. My little sister is very bad asperger, bordering autistic, and is pretty much unable to live a normal life without some help. I have lived a lot of my life with a person who is very handicapped that is. However, when I speak about people who truly have developement faults I use the word "mentally handicapped" . But when it comes to people, who should be perfectly normal, do extremely wierd or stupid things the use of word "dumb" is more than fitting. In my vocabulary atleast a word 'dumb' doesnt have a thing to do with people who are truly mentally handicapped. I would never use that word to describe a person who is born abnormal.

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #19 of 24
Whether or not everyone who reads the word gets offended by it, there are two inescapable facts:

1. Some people clearly are offended by it and many of these have good reason to be offended, or at the very least if you try to tell them they shouldn't be offended you look like a jackarse.
2. There are far more poetic ways of expressing yourself.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #21 of 24
I haven't read reviews on CNET for a long time.
The same thing happened with Engadget and Gizmodo which were used to be great sites for hi-tech geeks, but they turned out to be biased for Apple stuffs and tried to make fun of any product that rivals Apple.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read reviews on CNET for a long time.
The same thing happened with Engadget and Gizmodo which were used to be great sites for hi-tech geeks, but they turned out to be biased for Apple stuffs and tried to make fun of any product that rivals Apple.

Not to mention the painful comments by the dumbass users of the sites. It's almost as bad as Youtube comments.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #23 of 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back