CNC Milling Grado Cups?
Feb 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Arrin

New Head-Fier
As I'm getting deeper into my Solidworks (3d CAD) studies and been enjoying my MS1s, I've come to think that what about CNC milling the cups and maybe also the "C"-part holding the cups out of metal?

I've searched through the forums for DIY Grado metals but only seem to find some people doing woodies for Grados.

Is it that the wood is a better enclosure material for Grados than metal? Or is it just the tools and amount of work needed thats scared DIY metal enclosure attempts off?

I've got the program and access to a cnc mill. The design for the enclosures shouldn't be anything hard to do, given I dismantle the MS1s for exact dimensions. So the question is: Is it worth attempting or should I maybe think of attempting a woodie?

I might also get something else from the grado line to attempt it with, if there's something more suitable for metal enclosures than MS1s (sr60->sr225)

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the idea and also on which metal to use / the acoustic properties of different metals.

- Arrin

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the idea and also on which metal to use / the acoustic properties of different metals.

Why not try it? I believe the HP-1000, PS-1, SR-325, and MS-2i are all made from aluminum. Not sure which alloy, but I've worked with a little 6061 and it's easy enough to deal with.

Go visit some of the metal fabrication/supply places in town. They might give you some offcuts of sufficient size to make cups, or sell you small amounts at a low cost.

Who knows what the sound will be like, but this would be an excellent way to learn to control the equipment.

Why don't you give it a try then tell us about it?

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by d0td0t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe the weight is the matter?
Own MS2i n had MS1 for a period of time.

I don't think the weight would be a matter considering the HP1000 is aside from the headband practically completely made out of metal and haven't heard complaints about the weight. I for one would like some sturdiness to the Grados.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not try it? I believe the HP-1000, PS-1, SR-325, and MS-2i are all made from aluminum. Not sure which alloy, but I've worked with a little 6061 and it's easy enough to deal with.

Go visit some of the metal fabrication/supply places in town. They might give you some offcuts of sufficient size to make cups, or sell you small amounts at a low cost.

Who knows what the sound will be like, but this would be an excellent way to learn to control the equipment.

Why don't you give it a try then tell us about it?

Yea, aluminium was one of the first materials that came to my mind aswell. Wouldn't add so much to the weight either.

If made right, I think the metal cups would not make the sound worse and would definitely make the MS1s look nicer (especially with metallic "C" pieces.) So will probably start looking into it, there was some measurements available in the headwize grado mods site. So might just start the 3d models with those measurements and take the MS1s apart later on, or maybe get me a damaged pairs of grados to work on.

- Arrin

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 23
It's already been done, sort of. The MS2i "Magnum" is a project/product by head-fier Rhydon. The plastic inner section of the MS2 is removed and replaced with a CNC milled aluminum cup, thus making the MS2 enclosures made entirely of aluminum, rather than just the outer section.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I'm getting deeper into my Solidworks (3d CAD) studies and been enjoying my MS1s, I've come to think that what about CNC milling the cups and maybe also the "C"-part holding the cups out of metal?

- Arrin

It would be easier to turn the cups on a CNC lathe.
You could mill them using circular interpolation, but the lathe would give you a much nicer finish.

(Solidworks is awesome!)

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 23
Go all out. Scandium
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 23
first I would try to figure out exactly what alloy Grado/Alessandro uses. It's something fairly exotic I would expect, as it's a very hard aluminum alloy...and I'm sure you know that straight aluminum is very soft.

And hell yeah, SolidWorks is AWESOME!! so much more intuitive and engineer-friendly than AutoCAD

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #11 of 23
What about going with brass? I know it would probably weigh too much for most people but brass is one of the most non-resonant metals I know of besides lead. Plus it's fairly easy to machine. I agree with Todd R that you'd get better results (surface finish) turning it on a CNC lathe compared to using circular interpolation on a CNC mill, but it depends on what tools you have at your disposal of course.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 23
Yea, brass would also be one alternative. I'll probably work the model ready on solidworks and then show it to my instructor and ask about his opinion on the material and how to get on with the machining.

I do have access to a CNC lathe aswell, so could do it with whichever is more suitable for it.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 23
I am more of an Autodesk Inventor guy. Comparing Solidworks to AutoCAD is silly, Solidworks is 3D volumetric CAD package (you are working with solids, not lines), AutoCAD is a 2D vector-based CAD package (granted you can do some limited 3D, but not like assemblies or anything). Inventor is Autodesk's 3D package, and in its current state, I think it is much better than Solidworks. Totally IMO, you can do everything in either piece of software.

This is besides the point of course...finding the alloy of the aluminum won't be very easy, try contacting Grado...though I doubt they will be likely to divulge.

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 23
I'm working in a lab right now running CATIA (a relative of Solidworks) in 3D... it's phenomenal. Quad-buffer setup with two projectors on a screen that's probably a good 20' diagonal. You put on polarized glasses like at the IMAX theater and you can see your parts in "true" stereoscopic 3D. They also have those goofy 3D helmets working with a tracking system so you can physically walk through the model.

Right now I'm writing a flight simulator program in OpenGL to run on the quad-buffer setup so I can get some sweet 3D flight sim action
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back