CMOY PSU collapses with opamp plugged in.
Jul 19, 2006 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
Ok,my cmoy PSU uses a UA741 opamp for the ground channel with 22 K Resistor s before it and 10 K at the output of the opamp.
Powering from 1 9V cell,i get perfect +/- 4.23 V at the opamp socket.But when i insert in ANY dual opamp(tried 4),the PSU collapses to +7V and -1 V .
I have checked the amp stage for short circuits,cleaned using isopropyl alcohol but to no avail.
Gain : 6
The PSU levels remain the same regardless of whether the phones are plugged in.
frown.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
Ok,my cmoy PSU uses a UA741 opamp for the ground channel with 22 K Resistor s before it and 10 K at the output of the opamp.
Powering from 1 9V cell,i get perfect +/- 4.23 V at the opamp socket.But when i insert in ANY dual opamp(tried 4),the PSU collapses to +7V and -1 V .
I have checked the amp stage for short circuits,cleaned using isopropyl alcohol but to no avail.
Gain : 6
The PSU levels remain the same regardless of whether the phones are plugged in.
frown.gif

That's not exactly a stock CMoy. We'd need a schematic and probably pictures to help you at all. I assume that you implemented the ground channel to improve upon the CMoy's resistor divider virtual ground? Are you using a resistor divider to provide the VG reference for the ground channel opamp? Something such as Tangent has shown in his virtual ground article?

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 10
I have implemented the "VFB Opamp Based Virtual Ground Driver " mentioned in Tangents Vground article .
i have used 22K and 10 K(recommended by Tangent in another thread) instead of 220K and 1 K in the diagram.
And I am using 2 470uF caps after the opamp.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 10
whats "gain 6" i hope thats your driver circuit since your power supply shouldnt have any gain.

My reccomendation is to short the input and output of the opamps and measure the voltage split. if the split is nearly centered, then its your opamp, if its not centered at all, then its your load.

Cheers. without pictures, this thread is fairly pointless, I can go on giving potential mistakes all day without getting to the problem. Use macro mode post some pics.

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 10
Heres a pic :

22 K and 10 K used instead of 220K and 1 K.
Gain 6 is of the driver stage,NOT the power supply.
2 470 uF caps connected AFTER the UA751 between V+ and ground / Ground and V-.

PLEASE HELP ! I spend 7 hours yesterday hunched over a table getting this to work !

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 10
The 10k resistor shouldnt matter, but remove it just in case.

Gore did you short input and output and see the resulting voltage?
Take a picture of your circuit, I've seen tangent's schematic but that wont help us since we cant diagnose any build issues with a schematic.

Jul 20, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 10
In that virtual ground circuit, I would put an OPA551 (and remove the 10K resistor).

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks everyone but i solved the trouble.There was too much capacitance on the battery rails.I also had a 470uF cap between the batteries terminals which was causing all hell.Removed it and voila !

The wonders of electronics ! Every simple project is a great learning experience ! Not to mention the workout my fingers get due to the dextrous component assembly !
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back