CMoy in a Zippo lighter
Dec 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 19
so awesome
popcorn.gif

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 19
Lovely :) Compact and well executed.

Short question though: if someone connects it with an usb cable and an audio cable to a computer, won't both the virtual ground (through the audio cable) and the V- rail (through the USB cable) be connected to the computer ground ?

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 19

The input ground/USB ground are connected together.
The virtual ground only needs to be isolated at the output.
Quote:

Short question though: if someone connects it with an usb cable and an audio cable to a computer, won't both the virtual ground (through the audio cable) and the V- rail (through the USB cable) be connected to the computer ground ?

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 19
Oops, right, I didn't took into account the input coupling caps. Still, with such similar looking jacks for input and output, I can't but think that the output will get shorted to ground at some point...

edit: looking at the traces on the pcb though, both the output and input grounds are connected to the virtual ground. So my earlier comments hold.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 19
You're right!

When you look at the layout, the input ground and output ground both go back to the TLE.
The - power should be the same as USB ground. Unless the USB - power wire is isolated
from ground in the computer...hummm

Quote:

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 19
LOL. I had never tried to take audio and power from the same pc. I usually take power from my pc but audio comes from my iPod.
So I tried to take both from the same pc and guess what - only humm and some crackle :D
Any ideas on what to do to make it work when power and audio source is one, but also work when they're not one?

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #14 of 19
Hi OP, been thinking of making a cmoy in something like this, do you know if all zippo lighters are the same size? also, can this run only on usb power? im gueessing you're using an ipod Line out? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back